Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Jeff Moden - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:59 PM

Michael L John - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:09 PM

jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:17 PM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:13 AM

Crud... I found a technical issue with my presentations on Indexes and the 10/30 method for defragging them.  My test harness was much too narrow in scope.  I thought GUIDs would be the worst possible index to fix and they're not.  I knew that there were a couple classes of indexes that were worse but it turns out that supposedly "normal" indexes are actually much worse.  I've had to pull all of my SQL Saturday submittals on the subject.  Totally embarrassing oversight on my part.

wait, so now you're not coming to Columbus?

He's coming, but his presentation might lend itself to some serious heckling from the audience!

I can still go to Columbus but it will be sans the presentation.  You still interesting in meeting there Jonathon?  If so, I'll re-register (I unregistered because I no longer deserve the free lunch ticket).

Hmmm... I think this will be the first ever SQL Saturday I've gone to where I wasn't presenting.  Just might be an enjoyable thing!

K.  I've re-registered as an "attendee".  I'd say "normal attendee" except I'm not. πŸ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• When you're taking a walk at work, and realize you should wait a minute before crossing the road...

I can still go to Columbus but it will be sans the presentation.  You still interesting in meeting there Jonathon?  If so, I'll re-register (I unregistered because I no longer deserve the free lunch ticket).

Hmmm... I think this will be the first ever SQL Saturday I've gone to where I wasn't presenting.  Just might be an enjoyable thing!

Absolutely!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jasona.work - Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:49 AM

When you're taking a walk at work, and realize you should wait a minute before crossing the road...

When you're taking a walk at work, and realize you should get the hell out of the neighborhood. Why is there a tank at your work?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:25 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, June 14, 2018 5:49 AM

When you're taking a walk at work, and realize you should wait a minute before crossing the road...

When you're taking a walk at work, and realize you should get the hell out of the neighborhood. Why is there a tank at your work?

It's a rough neighborhood...
    This is what the cops drive:

A Stryker AFV with all the bells and whistles...
    πŸ˜€:hehe:

• jasona.work - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:48 AM

jonathan.crawford - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:25 AM

Ah, the cool toys!

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:50 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:48 AM

Ah, the cool toys!

Reminds me of my first job.  There were some interesting lawn ornaments (rocket launchers, helicopters, a harrier jump-jet...), and the tank sheds.  Oh, the tank sheds.  Where, if you asked nicely, they would let you have a go...

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:50 AM

jasona.work - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:48 AM

jonathan.crawford - Thursday, June 14, 2018 6:25 AM

Ah, the cool toys!

Yeah, yesterday was the "Cruisin' in the D" at work...
    A (very few) pictures:
    https://twitter.com/USArmyTACOM/status/1006941796063154176

Bunch of classic and sports cars, someone had a jacked up pickup truck (basically a monster truck,) a nice looking Ferrari Testarossa, lots of Corvettes of various years...

• When you realize what they just did in code...

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

Present something else. Do a live version of the 1mm row test harness.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:37 AM

Jeff Moden - Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:59 PM

Present something else. Do a live version of the 1mm row test harness.

Thanks for that but, for Columbus, it wouldn't be right.  The submittals had already been closed when I withdrew.  It'll give two other people a chance that might not have had a chance to present.  I'll resubmit with something else to the others that are still open.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Out of idle curiosity, anybody from here going to SQL Saturday Manchester?

• BrainDonor - Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:03 AM

Out of idle curiosity, anybody from here going to SQL Saturday Manchester?

(Raises hand, points at schedule)

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

• Hugo Kornelis - Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:50 AM

BrainDonor - Wednesday, June 20, 2018 4:03 AM

Out of idle curiosity, anybody from here going to SQL Saturday Manchester?

(Raises hand, points at schedule)

See you both there.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• TomThomson - Friday, June 1, 2018 12:31 PM

Brandie Tarvin - Friday, May 25, 2018 7:41 AM

Oy! I get all the fun projects. I love a challenge. I don't love being on a deadline to learn a new programming language, though.

Any advice on decrypting a database table column via SSIS? Posting at https://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/1959028/Object-variables-ADO-Recordsets-decrypting-column would be appreciated.

Learning a new progrmming language should require very little effort.  If it requires more than prtically nothing there are three posible causes: (i) it's based on a paradigm (perhaps genuine declarativeness, which SQL people have difficulty getting heir heads around because they've been misled into believeing that a decidedly non-declarative language (SQL or T-SQL or PL-SQL) is declarative) that they think they understand but they don't; (ii) because it's a really awful badly designed programming language and they are used to much better designed languages; (ii) the learner is utterly dim.

I guess in your case something like reason (i) applies.  I know it's not reason (iii).

I agree.  I've found that learning a language well enough to use it is fairly easy.  I've also found that learning a language well enough to use it correctly isn't a trivial thing, though.  Every language has nuances that may or may not be in the documentation and there are certainly undocumented and sometimes very necessary tricks to every language.  A great example is knowing the rather undocumented-in-the-documentation performance problems with scalar and mTVF functions compared to iTVFs and the HUGE performance problems with the use of FORMAT (even in managed code because it uses Regex Replace) as compared to the likes of CONVERT in T-SQL and other functionality in managed code.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

Viewing 15 posts - 61,681 through 61,695 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply