Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Ninja's_RGR'us - Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:50 PM

'twas a pleasure serving with you guys.

You're retiring? :unsure:

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Eirikur Eiriksson - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 12:04 AM

Thom A - Monday, October 2, 2017 4:17 PM

GilaMonster - Monday, October 2, 2017 2:30 PM

Thanks Gail. Got it running at home earlier. Had to remove and re-add the repositories (running Linux). A shame that they haven't released a Management tool for the Docker/Linux side of things, I was really hoping that would come out alongside SQL Server 2017. VS Code really is nowhere near up to scratch as SSMS. Shame, but usable none the less.

Hopefully the whole package won't take "too" long. At the moment seems like SQL Server for Linux is very much an incomplete product. Hopefully MS doesn't charge as much for the "incomplete" product, but I doubt that's the case. Can see that being a turn off for a lot of Linux users. Why should they pay the same going rate for just the data engine, when Windows users get SSRS, SSAS, SSIS, and more, plus tools like SSMS and SSDT are free and available on Windows and don't exist on the Linux/Docker side. Hopefully that'll change. πŸ™‚

What about Visual Studio Code?
    https://code.visualstudio.com/download
    😎

I mentioned that. πŸ™‚

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A - Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:56 AM

Eirikur Eiriksson - Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:36 AM

Just asked him for his comparison points as one might learn something new πŸ˜€
    😎

I will be very (pleasantly) surprised if you get a response to that post.

Well, he did start making posts about it, so I'll eat my words. πŸ™‚ Still very much a debate from them though, while everyone else seems happy to argue on both sides.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.  Now I've just to wait for a decent weekend to give it a run.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    β€”Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• Neil Burton - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:46 AM

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.  Now I've just to wait for a decent weekend to give it a run.

Awesome!!! What are you planning on for your first run?

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me[/url].  Now I've just to wait for a decent weekend to give it a run.

Happy Birthday, enjoy. We hope you bring some treats to the next SQL Sat or Summit πŸ˜‰

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me.  Now I've just to wait for a decent weekend to give it a run.

Happy birthday Neil. Someone here recommended something which looked like a Landmann Kentucky so I bought one at the beginning of the summer. What a fabulous piece of kit it is! We do foodie days here at work and for the next one, this Monday, I'll be taking in some posh sausages, chicken pieces and a side of salmon, smoked the day before using some local oak. Three things I'd recommend you try early on. Have fun!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:42 AM

Neil Burton - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 4:46 AM

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me[/url].  Now I've just to wait for a decent weekend to give it a run.

Happy Birthday, enjoy. We hope you bring some treats to the next SQL Sat or Summit πŸ˜‰

Thanks Steve, the big day itself was actually last week but the smoker only arrived yesterday.  There were boxes of donuts provided in the office, I forgot to let you know.

Sean, I'm probably going to do a bit of pork shoulder for a trial run then a full shoulder at some stage when I can borrow my Mum's house and garden and get the whole family down.  We haven't the space at home and the Smokey Mountain will be easier to transport than my offset.  I'd love to do a brisket but it's not easy to get hold of packer cut brisket over here.  British brisket is from a similar place on the beast but doesn't have the point and flat so it lacks the fat to keep it juicy.

Chris 

Someone here recommended something which looked like a Landmann KentuckyLandmann Kentucky

Wasn't that someone me?  I've had an offset smoker for a while but I decided to treat myself to a Weber for my 40th. 

I've got a standing order with the junk shop up the road for a metal gym locker.  If I can get my hands on one of those I'm planning to build a cold smoker for things like salmon and sausages.  I've done my own bangers in the past with some success and I've got some collagen skins for doing hotdogs sometime.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• "database B is a mirror of database A"
    <provides queries to the contrary>
    "oh, well there are *reasons*. because of *vendors* and *extracts*"

<throws up hands, cusses incoherently>
    well, until you can tell me how the two match up, I can't help you compare them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• jonathan.crawford - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 5:11 PM

"database B is a mirror of database A"
    <provides queries to the contrary>
    "oh, well there are *reasons*. because of *vendors* and *extracts*"

<throws up hands, cusses incoherently>
    well, until you can tell me how the two match up, I can't help you compare them.

forgot one.
    ...Profit?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please follow Best Practices For Posting On Forums to receive quicker and higher quality responses

• Neil Burton - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:55 AM

Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:42 AM

Thanks Steve, the big day itself was actually last week but the smoker only arrived yesterday.  There were boxes of donuts provided in the office, I forgot to let you know.

Sean, I'm probably going to do a bit of pork shoulder for a trial run then a full shoulder at some stage when I can borrow my Mum's house and garden and get the whole family down.  We haven't the space at home and the Smokey Mountain will be easier to transport than my offset.  I'd love to do a brisket but it's not easy to get hold of packer cut brisket over here.  British brisket is from a similar place on the beast but doesn't have the point and flat so it lacks the fat to keep it juicy.

Chris 

Someone here recommended something which looked like a Landmann KentuckyLandmann Kentucky

Wasn't that someone me?  I've had an offset smoker for a while but I decided to treat myself to a Weber for my 40th. 

I've got a standing order with the junk shop up the road for a metal gym locker.  If I can get my hands on one of those I'm planning to build a cold smoker for things like salmon and sausages.  I've done my own bangers in the past with some success and I've got some collagen skins for doing hotdogs sometime.

Neil, the pork shoulder is something I've come to really enjoy.  Because of the time involved in smoking it, you have to stay home and check it frequently, so it makes for a productive, but somewhat lazy day around home.  The end product is so very much worth the investment of time.  Sean or I could probably give you some good dry rub recipes, but after you get used to it, it becomes mostly about personal preference.  Enjoy!

• Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:34 PM

Neil Burton - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:55 AM

Chris 

Neil, the pork shoulder is something I've come to really enjoy.  Because of the time involved in smoking it, you have to stay home and check it frequently, so it makes for a productive, but somewhat lazy day around home.  The end product is so very much worth the investment of time.  Sean or I could probably give you some good dry rub recipes, but after you get used to it, it becomes mostly about personal preference.  Enjoy!

I've done pork shoulder  in the past and I think I've got the rub recipe down now but I'm always interested in different approaches.  So far I've only done reasonably small bits of shoulder because it's only the two of us at home.  That means that I can usually get it done in an afternoon rather than a whole day,  Like I said, I'm planning to migrate to my mum's for a day and do a full shoulder for the whole clan.  She's got both a bigger house and a bigger oven should the Pennine Autumn conditions beat me πŸ™‚

• Neil Burton - Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:28 AM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:34 PM

Chris 

I've done pork shoulder  in the past and I think I've got the rub recipe down now but I'm always interested in different approaches.  So far I've only done reasonably small bits of shoulder because it's only the two of us at home.  That means that I can usually get it done in an afternoon rather than a whole day,  Like I said, I'm planning to migrate to my mum's for a day and do a full shoulder for the whole clan.  She's got both a bigger house and a bigger oven should the Pennine Autumn conditions beat me πŸ™‚

I've been smoking Boston pork butt for the past couple of months as I just got a new grill/smoker myself for my birthday.

THE BIG EASY® SMOKER, ROASTER/FRYER & GRILL

How I've been smoking mine is covering the pork all in mustard and then throwing whatever rub you want on it. Then you can lit it sit over night or toss it right into the smoker. From there, it's just how hot you're going to cook the sucker. For me, it's about 45 minutes to a hour or longer depending on how low and slow you go with your heat. I personally do spray the butt about midway through the cooking process (once a hour from there) with a mixture of apple vinegar and concentrated apple juice. But this is optional. Many masters don't recommend it because it can wash the rub off and the flavor you really want is that smoke in the meat and that happens within the beginning of the cooking process.

When it's around that 190F mark, then it's out the smoker and into foil and a cooler or tshirts in the closed oven for a hour or so to finish the process. Eat and enjoy. I'm in North Carolina, so it's all vinegar based seasoning from there on my end into a bun and coleslaw perfection.

I've found that smoking pork is pretty easy and can do it with minimal work. Just toss it in there and come back 6 to 8 hours later. Example below. Just a small 3 lbs shoulder I smoked my first time. Bit too much brown sugar here, but it was amazing.

• Neil Burton - Thursday, October 5, 2017 1:28 AM

Ed Wagner - Wednesday, October 4, 2017 7:34 PM

Chris 

It takes longer to do a whole shoulder but it is well worth the effort. And it freezes quite nicely, especially if you have a vacuum sealer. As far as a recipe for a dry rub, well, I don't really have a recipe. I just do it off the cuff which is good but I can't ever recreate one if I make a really good one.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• guh....  I just had a senior DBA type person ask, after breaking a file extract in prod.

What difference does the order of the fields make?

:crying::crying:

Viewing 15 posts - 60,061 through 60,075 (of 66,573 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply