Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Thanks Gail, it will be a day or two before I have it written up.

• You can launch them at me too.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GilaMonster (5/31/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/29/2015)

You'd think it was still winter.

But it is.

Warm winter at the moment, but it's definitely winter (dry as anything)

We could do with some dry over here in NW England!

Definitely winter in this bit of the UK. The weather forecast is predicting a peak of 20C for Wednesday around here, in contrast to what my son told me this morning whem he rang from Puerto del Carmen - the highest he's had there since I came over here for the "summer" was 42C - the weather for the last 6 weeks has been a good deal colder than January and February were in Puerto del C, so I reckon it's still winter - maybe summer begins on Wednesday?

Apart from the weather, I'm pissed off with MicroSoft yet again. Their websites can't negotiate TLS 2 or 3 connection, so I''m forced to tell my browsers to accept insecure https connections (TLS 1, so it could be worse - at least they've got beyond SSL). After all the effort they put into losing their "supplier of hopelssly insecure OS software" reputation it's a pity that they haven't thought to fix their websites.

Tom

• BrainDonor (6/1/2015)

To help my understanding I intend to write a series of short articles on my blog site, demonstrating the pitfalls and my understanding of such things.

What I would very much like, is somebody to cast an eye over these articles, to make sure I actually have understood the concepts.

I have no problem with being (politely) corrected, but I really don't want to add to the mountains of nonsense already out there.

I've already produced a short article demonstrating page splits with NOLOCK, because that was easy. Now I'm working on things to be aware of with READ COMMITTED and REPEATABLE READ, before moving on to SERIALIZABLE.

So, if somebody could have a look at my ramblings before I publish, it would be very much appreciated.

Yes, I'll volunteer to look at those.

Tom

• BrainDonor (6/1/2015)

So, if somebody could have a look at my ramblings before I publish, it would be very much appreciated.

Feel free to throw them my way also.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Maybe it's just me. I might be getting too old for this business. I don't understand why people make such ridiculous posts.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1690570.aspx

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (6/1/2015)

Maybe it's just me. I might be getting too old for this business. I don't understand why people make such ridiculous posts.

That is an SSF if I ever saw one

😎

• Jeff Moden (6/1/2015)

Maybe it's just me. I might be getting too old for this business. I don't understand why people make such ridiculous posts.

Jeff, did you mean to quote yourself at the end of that thread?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• So this[/url] was in the Database Weekly and I found myself snerking about it.

I have to say that "hi" and "hello" are among my favs, for no real reason I can define. Of course "good morning" should be added to that list because I am not a morning person, yet am always in the office at dark o'thirty to make sure everything is up and running before the business users come in. And it never fails but at least once a week one of those users comes in earlier than they should and tries to make conversation while I am still in a "leave me alone so I can get used to being at work" state of mind.

Did anyone else read that list? Do you agree / disagree about an item in particular?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/2/2015)

So this[/url] was in the Database Weekly and I found myself snerking about it.

I have to say that "hi" and "hello" are among my favs, for no real reason I can define. Of course "good morning" should be added to that list because I am not a morning person, yet am always in the office at dark o'thirty to make sure everything is up and running before the business users come in. And it never fails but at least once a week one of those users comes in earlier than they should and tries to make conversation while I am still in a "leave me alone so I can get used to being at work" state of mind.

Did anyone else read that list? Do you agree / disagree about an item in particular?

It did remind me of this though...

One place I worked, I was normally the first SQL DBA in the office. I could walk in. it was a nice distance, but I tend to walk fast. So I wore T-shirt & Jeans or jogging bottoms and change once I got there. I would log in first run the morning checks. If all OK send out an email to the incident manager and go and get changed.

Obviously sometimes it didn't go well, so I'd fix the problem first and then change. On a couple of occasions it wasn't a simple fix.

So being greeted by "Morning and hey why are you sitting at your desk in Jeans & a T-shirt" and normally followed by "have you fixed it yet?" never went down well with me 😉 :w00t:

Rodders...

• rodjkidd (6/2/2015)

So being greeted by "Morning and hey why are you sitting at your desk in Jeans & a T-shirt" and normally followed by "have you fixed it yet?" never went down well with me 😉 :w00t:

Someone try that on me and they would probably get a very snarky reply. But then my current company doesn't really have a dress code, so jeans and tshirt is normal attire.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/2/2015)

rodjkidd (6/2/2015)

Someone try that on me and they would probably get a very snarky reply. But then my current company doesn't really have a dress code, so jeans and tshirt is normal attire.

haha.

Oh it was strict. You had to get notice from high above when it was too hot and short sleeved polo shirts (no motifs please) and tailored shorts were allowed on hot days.

But then before that I worked for part of Virgin and dress code was totally relaxed, save for insulting slogans, too revealing clothes - (sorry no bondage gear Fridays 😉 ) or football tops.

I got roped in to an interview as second interviewer was delayed. Interviewee in 3 piece suit, tie, top pocket handkerchief and cuff links...

Me - an old Office / VBA dev conference t-shirt and jeans. I did feel silly!

Rodders...

• Eirikur Eiriksson (6/1/2015)

Jeff Moden (6/1/2015)

That is an SSF if I ever saw one

😎

Curious if the silver spoon will wear out before the OP learns to take a bite.

I see nothing wrong with the post. Basic question is good.

But the lack of desire to learn more of the subject and the details is troubling.

They might have some trouble using what would likely be a massive amount of data for much until they understand it better.

• what does SSF mean?

• oops, quoted wrong post. Let me try again.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 48,706 through 48,720 (of 66,564 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply