Are the posted questions getting worse?

• You'd think it was still winter. Seems a bit of short-temperedness going around.

Please vent here and not in threads.

• cunningham (5/29/2015)

One for Grant (or anyone that knows on Grant's behalf), I hope you don't mind me asking but what is your avatar picture? My mind keeps telling me it's a hat, but my eyes think it's possibly not. Can you please settle this argument once and for all?

He explained it once, but my short term memory sucks so I don't recall.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/29/2015)

You'd think it was still winter. Seems a bit of short-temperedness going around.

Please vent here and not in threads.

Short term memory sucks, but unless you are reading between the lines (or lack there of), I hope I am not one of the ones you are referring to here.

• Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

cunningham (5/29/2015)

One for Grant (or anyone that knows on Grant's behalf), I hope you don't mind me asking but what is your avatar picture? My mind keeps telling me it's a hat, but my eyes think it's possibly not. Can you please settle this argument once and for all?

It's water pouring into a glass. Unless he changed it in the past day.

EDIT: Could be vodka too. Or gin. Is gin clear?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (5/29/2015)

Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

cunningham (5/29/2015)

It's water pouring into a glass. Unless he changed it in the past day.

EDIT: Could be vodka too. Or gin. Is gin clear?

I'm going for vodka! Thanks Brandie, not sure where I got hat from!

• Ed Wagner (5/29/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (5/29/2015)

GilaMonster (5/29/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/28/2015)

Is there just one? If there's a separate one for VS Online, pass it over.

Why? It'll only show clouds.

Ahhh.. My funny for the day. @=)

That's cleaver. So, Brandie, be careful with the crystal ball and watch for danger because of the link to DBCC Timewarp. 😀

Yes that cloudy crystal ball slices, dices and chops like any other butcher knife.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I see the sports spam has returned. There's a "few" posts about a fight coming up. I presume the poster thinks it'll get some hits, but I honestly wonder if he knows how annoying he's being. Even if I were interested, I wouldn't watch based on his prolific posting.

• cunningham (5/29/2015)

It's an overflowin shot glass. I did a blog post on log files filling the hard drive. That was the picture. I liked it, so I changed it to my avatar. It's been years. Might be time for another change.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Nevermind...

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Lynn Pettis (5/29/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (5/29/2015)

A currently active thread: "I don't use any clustered indexes actually... all of mine are non-clustered..."

Sometimes I do wonder where things went wrong with MS and SQL documentation/references/best practices...

😎

That explains the free space in the database since heaps aren't known for reliable reuse of space.

Nah. Space that a heap hasn't released shows up as allocated, not free.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/29/2015)

You'd think it was still winter.

But it is.

Warm winter at the moment, but it's definitely winter (dry as anything)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• Alvin Ramard (5/29/2015)

Question: Which version of SSIS are you using?

Answer: VS 2008

That answer isn't too bad. They just answered the tool they use to develop SSIS packages, which currently is a 1-to-1 mapping with the version.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• GilaMonster (5/31/2015)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/29/2015)

You'd think it was still winter.

But it is.

Warm winter at the moment, but it's definitely winter (dry as anything)

Winter is coming!

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Back in February Paul Randal decided it would be interesting to mentor 54 people at the same time. Like he doesn't have enough to do. http://www.sqlskills.com/blogs/paul/mentoring-class-2015/

One of those individuals was myself (number 26, if you're curious), and thus far it has indeed been interesting.

After grading myself against every single subject he teaches in every one of his courses, he made a couple of recommendations for improvement in the 'basic' DBA category (i.e. before I should even look at Senior DBA and beyond).

The first I'm looking at is Isolation Levels, because (like many others, I suspect) I have never really needed to deal with anything other than the evils of NOLOCK and let the default isolation level do its stuff.

I have now seen the fun to be had with that kind of thinking.

To help my understanding I intend to write a series of short articles on my blog site, demonstrating the pitfalls and my understanding of such things.

What I would very much like, is somebody to cast an eye over these articles, to make sure I actually have understood the concepts.

I have no problem with being (politely) corrected, but I really don't want to add to the mountains of nonsense already out there.

I've already produced a short article demonstrating page splits with NOLOCK, because that was easy. Now I'm working on things to be aware of with READ COMMITTED and REPEATABLE READ, before moving on to SERIALIZABLE.

So, if somebody could have a look at my ramblings before I publish, it would be very much appreciated.

• Sure, toss them my way

Gail Shaw

Viewing 15 posts - 48,691 through 48,705 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply