Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Brandie Tarvin (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

Is it just that it's been so long that I haven't posted one, or does the Article Contribution Center (article editor) not play well with IE11?

I would say it doesn't play well with IE11. Lot's of things don't play well with IE11. Have you tried compat mode? Or another browser?

To pile on, one of our vended solutions is having issues with IE11, so I would agree with this comment.

There are more and more sites that just don't work with IE. I have been seeing more sites with messages about being optimized for Chrome or FF and no guarantee that it will work with IE.

As somebody who has been working as web developer for 15+ years I can tell you the process currently is to write your site to work with all the "other" browsers, then go back and rewrite large portions of it so it will work with the abomination know as IE. πŸ˜‰

A big problem is that every company I've worked for mandates IE as its official browser. For internal sites, it HAS to work on IE. For a lot of external business sites too. I've worked places where a department says "but we use Chrome" and the official response is "We don't support that, use IE or don't access the site you need to do your job"

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Sioban Krzywicki (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

Is it just that it's been so long that I haven't posted one, or does the Article Contribution Center (article editor) not play well with IE11?

I would say it doesn't play well with IE11. Lot's of things don't play well with IE11. Have you tried compat mode? Or another browser?

To pile on, one of our vended solutions is having issues with IE11, so I would agree with this comment.

There are more and more sites that just don't work with IE. I have been seeing more sites with messages about being optimized for Chrome or FF and no guarantee that it will work with IE.

As somebody who has been working as web developer for 15+ years I can tell you the process currently is to write your site to work with all the "other" browsers, then go back and rewrite large portions of it so it will work with the abomination know as IE. πŸ˜‰

A big problem is that every company I've worked for mandates IE as its official browser. For internal sites, it HAS to work on IE. For a lot of external business sites too. I've worked places where a department says "but we use Chrome" and the official response is "We don't support that, use IE or don't access the site you need to do your job"

It is sad that so many companies still have this mindset. We now install FF, Chrome and Exploiter as part of our standard image for every user. We even have lines in some of our help manuals that state using a browser other than IE for certain bugs. I can sort of understand the mindset of using a consistent browser but like much of our sql stuff that is dealing with the symptom instead of the problem. Of course since I don't do much for internal sites the stuff I write MUST work with all browsers. That is not limited to Windows desktop either. It MUST work on Windows, Mac, Linux etc on any browser people use. This causes some challenges with testing but to be a viable ecommerce site this is what it takes.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Sioban Krzywicki (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

It is sad that so many companies still have this mindset. We now install FF, Chrome and Exploiter as part of our standard image for every user. ...

I prefer EXPLODER

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

It is sad that so many companies still have this mindset. We now install FF, Chrome and Exploiter as part of our standard image for every user. ...

I prefer EXPLODER

did you mean Exploiter??

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

I prefer EXPLODER

did you mean Exploiter??

😎

I'll bet he meant he prefers the term Exploder instead of Exploiter, etc...cause IE 'blows up' a lot.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (3/5/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

I prefer EXPLODER

did you mean Exploiter??

😎

I'll bet he meant he prefers the term Exploder instead of Exploiter, etc...cause IE 'blows up' a lot.

-SQLBill

It is also normally the easiest way to gain access to YOUR system, hence the term:Whistling:

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (3/5/2015)

SQLBill (3/5/2015)

Eirikur Eiriksson (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

Sean Lange (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

I prefer EXPLODER

did you mean Exploiter??

😎

-SQLBill

It is also normally the easiest way to gain access to YOUR system, hence the term:Whistling:

😎

Yes it provides beautiful dumps err explosions.:-D:-D

And yes the exploits are nasty.:sick:

But I can't stand to use that big blue E product unless I have to (some sites won't work in FF or chrome).:pinch:

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

I tried compatibility mode but I don't have any other browsers installed on this laptop. And assuming this is an IE11 not playing well thingy, the compatibility modes aren't as compatible as you would want them to be (they didn't work back to IE7).

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

I tried compatibility mode but I don't have any other browsers installed on this laptop. And assuming this is an IE11 not playing well thingy, the compatibility modes aren't as compatible as you would want them to be (they didn't work back to IE7).

:pinch:

Email Steve - I bet he has a workaround πŸ˜‰

Learn Extended Events

• It's so nice learning both something new, and that your assumption was correct...

I'm going through (again) applying STIGs to servers (gee, a month ago you used the SQL2005 STIG for SQL2008, now it's the SQL2012) and one of the items I'd been explaining incorrectly.

No login is supposed to have "directly assigned privileges" such as CONNECT SQL, they're supposed to get it through roles. *I* had been making the presumption that this privilege was being granted via membership in Public. Then I went digging deeper.

Turns out, Public by default does not have CONNECT SQL. So I was thinking I could grant the privilege to Public, then revoke it from the individual accounts. Being paranoid, I didn't want to test this at work on QA even, because if I was wrong, well...

So, tested it last night / this morning on my home laptop SQL install, and it would pass the STIG check.

Now to set about implementing this at work, including writing up a guideline for myself and the other DBA to use to make sure we add new accounts the "right" way...

So, that's a good start to my day...

• Brandie Tarvin (2/25/2015)

Need some advice, all. I'm about to rewrite a novel of mine and I need references for research. My protagonist (the star) is humanoid but not human.

I know there are science fiction books out there with such a theme, but I'm drawing blanks. The only things I can come up with are Alien Nation (which I've read and watched), Dune, and the Chronicles of Riddick. I'm assuming on the last two because I haven't actually read them. Couldn't get through the first chapter of Dune and have not tried Riddick yet.

Any thoughts or suggestions of what could meet my criteria?

Hi Brandie,

You should check out the book "The man from Mars", it is an early 60s book, very entertaining, the start is "human" born in Mars, its SciFi side impressed me because its author was pretty good with the gadgets!

Hope this helps,
    Rock from VbCity

• SQLRNNR (3/6/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

SQLRNNR (3/5/2015)

dwain.c (3/5/2015)

:pinch:

Email Steve - I bet he has a workaround πŸ˜‰

My workaround was to post from a machine running IE10. That worked just fine.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• jasona.work (3/7/2015)

Turns out, Public by default does not have CONNECT SQL. So I was thinking I could grant the privilege to Public, then revoke it from the individual accounts.

Did you use the public / "everyone" role, or did you end on creating a new role with the requisite permissions?

The public role should have as few permissions as possible.

Learn Extended Events

• Great seeing everyone this week at SQLBits.

And, I got to meet Gianluca and Eirikur for the very first time. Total pleasure gentlemen. By the way, Gianluca is a giant.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• SQLRNNR (3/9/2015)

jasona.work (3/7/2015)

Turns out, Public by default does not have CONNECT SQL. So I was thinking I could grant the privilege to Public, then revoke it from the individual accounts.

Did you use the public / "everyone" role, or did you end on creating a new role with the requisite permissions?

The public role should have as few permissions as possible.

As most of our servers are still SQL2008R2, we couldn't create a custom server role to handle this. As of right now, this is first privilege that isn't a default that's been added to Public, so we're keeping the priveleges low.

On our new SQL2012 boxes, I'll have to think about how to handle this. A custom role would be the better way (even if it is just for CONNECT SQL,) but would also result in more paperwork (yes, to add a server role to satisfy a mandatory STIG check, I'd have to get approval...) Plus having to remember to add any new users to that custom role any time I add one...

Pluses and minuses either way, it's just a matter of totalling them up and picking which way to jump.

Viewing 15 posts - 47,746 through 47,760 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply