Are the posted questions getting worse?

• LutzM (10/21/2014)

spaghettidba (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Parma, Venice...these cities are making me think of authentic Italian food. I cook and am a HUGE fan of real Italian, so now I'm hungry. I envy where you live.

I'm having Spätzle for dinner tonight :hehe:

Hey Gianluca,

you obviously went up waaaaay North in terms of declaring food as being Italian....

Next step would be to call Surströmming being Italian food, too 😉

(to the folks being too lazy to google it: it is fermented Baltic sea herring. Wiki-Quote: A fermentation process (which converts sugar to acids, gases, and alcohol) of at least six months gives the lightly-salted fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidulous taste.)

Should help most of you to overcome any kind of a hungry feeling 😉

It was meant as a joke 🙂

However, in Sudtirol Spaetzle is a typical dish. Sudtirol is still part of Italy if you look it up in the maps. If you ask the people living there it's a different story. They don't feel Italian at all and they would like to be an independent country.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Pretty close to my favourite one, Spatzle di grano saraceno con panna e pancetta. Don't have a recipe link but the saraceno makes it more risotto like.

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Luis Cazares (10/21/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Parma, Venice...these cities are making me think of authentic Italian food. I cook and am a HUGE fan of real Italian, so now I'm hungry. I envy where you live.

Spätzle e olio di olive e pepe nere?

😎

Stop talking about food. I'm hungry.

Ok but it's just perfect with a dash of chipotle:w00t:

😎

Definitely not traditional - Spätzle with olive oil and chipotle. However, I have little doubt it would be good, especially if you add the chipotle into the pasta dough when you make it. Then again, a lot of things taste better with a bit of heat. Chipotle has the added benefit of smokey goodness. 😀

Make mine a tricolore, Chipotle, Jalapeño and Adjoema

😎

If you're willing to change the Adjoema with Habanero, I'll be glad to invite you to dinner. 😉

Now you're talking - there's some heat. 😀 The last Habanero sauce I had (purchased, not made) was too sweet, but I know it was to compliment the natural fruitiness of the pepper. I know it's not for everyone, but if it has good flavor to go along with the heat, I'm in.

No sugar or ready made, just fresh salsa, chop the habanero, onions, maybe a ripe tomato and some herbs, has to be fresh!

😎

You forgot the garlic. If you toast everything before mixing it, it gains great flavour.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Luis Cazares (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

😎

😎

Definitely not traditional - Spätzle with olive oil and chipotle. However, I have little doubt it would be good, especially if you add the chipotle into the pasta dough when you make it. Then again, a lot of things taste better with a bit of heat. Chipotle has the added benefit of smokey goodness. 😀

😎

If you're willing to change the Adjoema with Habanero, I'll be glad to invite you to dinner. 😉

Now you're talking - there's some heat. 😀 The last Habanero sauce I had (purchased, not made) was too sweet, but I know it was to compliment the natural fruitiness of the pepper. I know it's not for everyone, but if it has good flavor to go along with the heat, I'm in.

No sugar or ready made, just fresh salsa, chop the habanero, onions, maybe a ripe tomato and some herbs, has to be fresh!

😎

You forgot the garlic. If you toast everything before mixing it, it gains great flavour.

Ouch, good thing I wasn't cooking, without garlic it's a dud for sure, never too much garlic

😎

LutzM (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Hey Gianluca,

you obviously went up waaaaay North in terms of declaring food as being Italian....

Next step would be to call Surströmming being Italian food, too 😉

(to the folks being too lazy to google it: it is fermented Baltic sea herring. Wiki-Quote: A fermentation process (which converts sugar to acids, gases, and alcohol) of at least six months gives the lightly-salted fish its characteristic strong smell and somewhat acidulous taste.)

Should help most of you to overcome any kind of a hungry feeling 😉

Surströmming is close to anchovy isn't it:-D

😎

Imo it is much worse 🙂

It is fermented so much that there is a lot of pressure inside the can and opening the can will spill some of liquid contents into surroundings.

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/21/2014)

😎

😎

😎

😎

Ouch, good thing I wasn't cooking, without garlic it's a dud for sure, never too much garlic

😎

+1000 on the garlic. That's one of those nearly-universal ingredients that crosses many cuisines.

• Not to mention keeping mosquitos away in a pinch. Of course, it'll also keep everyone else away, as well. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Steve,

After a fairly long wait (> 30 seconds), I got the following...

Sorry, an error has occurred

If problems persist, please contact us to let us know.

When reporting this error, please quote the error identifier: 3284392

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/21/2014)

Not to mention keeping mosquitos away in a pinch. Of course, it'll also keep everyone else away, as well. 😛

When I worked in Caorle, not far from where Gianluca is, nothing kept the mosquitos away. I probably ate garlic at least once a day every day. I might as well have lain on the table with an apple in my mouth I was bitten so badly. What made it worse was that my colleague got bitten about once in eight months.

Ed, the smoker got its first proper run last weekend and worked a treat. Much better results for far less effort than the old one.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
    —Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/22/2014)

Jeff Moden (10/21/2014)

Not to mention keeping mosquitos away in a pinch. Of course, it'll also keep everyone else away, as well. 😛

When I worked in Caorle, not far from where Gianluca is, nothing kept the mosquitos away. I probably ate garlic at least once a day every day. I might as well have lain on the table with an apple in my mouth I was bitten so badly. What made it worse was that my colleague got bitten about once in eight months.

Ed, the smoker got its first proper run last weekend and worked a treat. Much better results for far less effort than the old one.

Very cool. Congratulations on the new addition. The right equipment can make a huge difference. What did you make?

• Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

Jeff Moden (10/21/2014)

Very cool. Congratulations on the new addition. The right equipment can make a huge difference. What did you make?

I did a piece of brisket with a homemade rub and some ribs in a Jack Daniels marinade. I'm building up to a full brisket, there's not much need when there's just two of us! I'll be practising over the winter when the weather permits and hopefully by the time of the first allotment society barbecue next year I'll be confident doing a whole one. There is talk of digging a fire pit and doing a hog roast though.

On two occasions I have been asked, "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" ... I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

How to post a question to get the most help http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537

• BWFC (10/22/2014)

Ed Wagner (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

Jeff Moden (10/21/2014)

I did a piece of brisket with a homemade rub and some ribs in a Jack Daniels marinade. I'm building up to a full brisket, there's not much need when there's just two of us! I'll be practising over the winter when the weather permits and hopefully by the time of the first allotment society barbecue next year I'll be confident doing a whole one. There is talk of digging a fire pit and doing a hog roast though.

I know what you mean about having the capability of smoking far more meat than you'll ever need. There's only three in my family and I learned early on to not make 50 pounds at a time. No matter how good it is, we won't eat it all. That's when you cool the leftovers, seal it in Food Saver bags and freeze it. If it's moist enough, it survives the thawing process pretty well.

I think pork shoulders are my favorite meat to smoke. The whole hog is a completely different animal. I've never done it myself, but I know people who have. It takes 16 to 24 hours, depending on size. You have to have an awful lot of people to justify doing it. My freezer is not big enough to hold 250 pounds of leftovers.

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like just the beginning.

• We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

• BWFC (10/22/2014)

We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

Glad to hear the new smoker is working well for you so far. Must be a pretty smoker if you can get a whole hog in there. I could maybe fit a half one in mine, but it would have to be chopped up first. 🙂

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (10/22/2014)

BWFC (10/22/2014)

We had 80 odd people at the show in September so a whole pig could well be worth it. I've just got to convince a couple of people that barbecue is more than just burgers and sausages. This is definitely only the beginning, especially now there's so much less effort involved in getting a good result.

Glad to hear the new smoker is working well for you so far. Must be a pretty smoker if you can get a whole hog in there. I could maybe fit a half one in mine, but it would have to be chopped up first. 🙂

Sean, did you get to see the pictures of my friend's large smoker? It was a few weeks ago just after the thread disappeared.

Viewing 15 posts - 46,216 through 46,230 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply