Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Eirikur Eiriksson (9/22/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/22/2014)

Eirikur Eiriksson (9/22/2014)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (9/22/2014)

It's back

Handful of posts missing, did you break the log chain;-)

😎

There was no chance to get the log chain back. The intervals for logs are hourly, so I couldn't recover beyond that without lots of work for the admins.

No biggie, just don't use DBCC FREETHREADS ever again in production:-)

😎

I wouldn't be concerned about the few posts lost when the The Thread disappeared. For those wanting a closer timing, it occurred on or about 2014-09-19 00:53 Afghan time. The last few posts were about the flood of SPAM. I was also noting that it appeared that a few SPAM threads had been SPAMMED as well.

• Looks like the spammer of the evening is mo.minbd200.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• what have I missed people? Not been around much for the last month, I come back and my post count has gone down by 128.

I kinda miss them, so close to 6000. any chance of getting them back?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• george sibbald (9/23/2014)

what have I missed people? Not been around much for the last month, I come back and my post count has gone down by 128.

There was a bit of a spam problem late last week and The Thread suffered the wrath of a TWEP deletion. We all lost the points from posting on The Thread over the years.

With all this talk about DBCC Timewarp, I'm forced to wonder about its use. Now that The Thread is back and we have access to the documentation of the DBCC Timewarp parameters, what if Steve uses it to revert the thread back to the way it was before the problem ever happened? Does this mean we'd get back the points we lost or does using it to recover the thread mean the problem never happened in the first place? This would mean that using it made it so he never had to use it, thereby possibly impacting the continuity of the time continuum. Hmmm.

• Ed Wagner (9/23/2014)

george sibbald (9/23/2014)

what have I missed people? Not been around much for the last month, I come back and my post count has gone down by 128.

There was a bit of a spam problem late last week and The Thread suffered the wrath of a TWEP deletion. We all lost the points from posting on The Thread over the years.

With all this talk about DBCC Timewarp, I'm forced to wonder about its use. Now that The Thread is back and we have access to the documentation of the DBCC Timewarp parameters, what if Steve uses it to revert the thread back to the way it was before the problem ever happened? Does this mean we'd get back the points we lost or does using it to recover the thread mean the problem never happened in the first place? This would mean that using it made it so he never had to use it, thereby possibly impacting the continuity of the time continuum. Hmmm.

There is a sync job for the points, so I think we'll get our points back in a matter of time.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (9/23/2014)

Ed Wagner (9/23/2014)

There is a sync job for the points, so I think we'll get our points back in a matter of time.

Good. Tell me, was the "a matter of time" comment an intentional pun with DBCC Timewarp? Sorry, but I'm a Star Trek fan going back to when I was very young and simply couldn't resist. 😀

• Ed Wagner (9/23/2014)

thanks Ed. Didn't realise I had posted to the thread that often.

Some of you guys must have taken a really big hit. 😀

Round my lost points up by 150 Steve and we'll call it quits.

• Ed Wagner (9/23/2014)

Good. Tell me, was the "a matter of time" comment an intentional pun with DBCC Timewarp? Sorry, but I'm a Star Trek fan going back to when I was very young and simply couldn't resist. 😀

I wish I was that intentionally funny 😉

Yup. Never been this close to Grant in the rankings 😀

Yup. Close on 3000 points.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Koen Verbeeck (9/23/2014)

That job runs every hour, so if it hasn't fixed stuff by now, it probably won't (without outside intervention)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I did chuckle yesterday when I saw the tweet from SSC saying the Thread was back up and to ignore if you didn't know what the Thread was!

Rodders...

• GilaMonster (9/23/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (9/23/2014)

That job runs every hour, so if it hasn't fixed stuff by now, it probably won't (without outside intervention)

That's disheartening. I lost a few hundred, but it was significant. I think that either a lot more than just the thread got deleted or the sync job is missing something.

• GilaMonster (9/23/2014)

Yup. Close on 3000 points.

That's about what I took as well. I know I was at or close to 23K level.

• pinged the webmaster (before I knew the cause) and got a nice (and prompt) reply from a lady called Melanie Townsend. Looks like she was not aware of this particular issue, so I have pointed her to the thread.

I wonder what she'll make of it!

Viewing 15 posts - 45,826 through 45,840 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply