Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Luis Cazares (8/14/2014)

Grant Fritchey (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

Wish I could remember what last year was like, I remember some nice days for '77 as I have a picture of me from a company picnic. 🙂

Good lord, I'm surrounded by fogies! I was 1 years old for most of '77.

Mean old fogies. Never forget that.

I was 14 in 77.

I was -7 :hehe:

The first half of '77 I was 8, the second half I was 9.

My first contact with database software was around '85-'86, back in the days of the "new version", dBase III.

Software has also come a long way...

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• SQLRNNR (8/14/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

Wish I could remember what last year was like, I remember some nice days for '77 as I have a picture of me from a company picnic. 🙂

I was 14 in 77.

Yup - we got a young one there. Just think - Grant is old enough to be your pappy.

I disavow all knowledge.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

A little further south in the Thames Valley, this is the best summer we've had for six or seven years.

The same here - Cheshire is not famous for its good weather!

Sure there's been a little rain but it's kept the grass green (remember '76/'77, Tom?). I'd be very happy with more summers like this.

I don't remember much of summer 1977. It was our second year in England (Ann and I moved from Dalkeith, with the two children we then had, in March 1976) and both of us and the eldest child (age 8 years) were pretty homesick for Scotland so we went to An t-Oban in July or August, and of course took a trip to Ì Chaluim Chille (Iona to you foreigners, I guess; how English turns Ì or Ìdhe into Iona is beyond my comprehension) while we were there. The weather was dry and mostly sunny, but it certainly wasn't warm. The best things about that holiday were a photo of our son (then about 28 months old) sitting amongst grass and bluebells on a hill oustde the town (which shows that it wasn't too cold every day while we were there, although it was windy and too cold most days) and finding all three An t-Òganaich LPs at a surprisingly cheap price in a shop by the harbour. It had one lasting effect on us: we never again holidayed that far south in the highlands (everywhere from an t-Oban down to Kames seems too cold), we always went further north to get the better weather - even Morar in March was hotter and drier than An t-Oban in July/August.

I don't remember the summer of 1976 at all, except that I was back in this foreign land. I think we took a holiday in North wales, and the weather was awful, because we did that one year and I think we only had two children at the time.

The summer (or more accurately just one day of the summer) I remember best is 1967, when I was a research student at Bristol University. I didn't take any vacation that summer, as my name was distinctly mud with the acting head of the faculty and I knew I had to get some serious research done or I wouldn't get a research Master's. My supervisor (I was on excellent terms with him) and I got caught in a snow storm while rock climbing (easy stuff, not difficult, fortunately) in the Avon Gorge, in June (about the end of the month, I think). Of course we weren't dressed for snow, and definitely had the wrong clothes and footwear for rock climbing in snow, which is what (together with very idea of snow in June in SW England) made it memorable.

Another summer I remember was just a couple of years earlier (1964 or 1965, not sure which), and one particular day in June was a very strong contrast to 1967 - it was the hottest day I remember ever experiencing in Britain. That day I attempted a scramble, accompanied by a (female) friend, on a very non-recognised route in the Cuillin. We started off from where the Glenbrittle road crosses Allt a' Choire Ghreadaidh and headed slightly south of west across the boggy valley, and then up the SW side of Sgurr na Gobhar (which is all crags and loose scree) - that and the side ridge leading on from there was the non-recognised bit, the idea was to get some difficult scrambling in on that bit, and some interesting stuff along the side ridge from Sgurr nan Gobhar to Sgurr na Banachdich. Neither the interesting side ridge scramble nor the seriously hard scree scramble would have happened on the recognised route to Sgurr na Banachdich throughh Coir' an Eich, which I would call a walk rather than a scramble. The idea was that after that we would switch to a recongised route, taking the fairly pedestrian main ridge scramble via Sgurr Dearg and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich to Sgurr Thearlaich, then down by the stone chute, a little way down Coire Lagan, then across to Loch an Fhir-bhallaich and finally back to the road by the reasonably dry path across the boggy gound from there. But we didn't make it, we covered very little of that route. The heat got to us before we hit the top of Sgurr nan Gobhar, which took us many times as long as we had expected; we had used up too much water to continue (only idiots stay on the mountain with inadequate water), and went down a little further round to the south east so we were coming down roughly on the line where the south face of Sgurr nan Gobhar switches from fine scree to hard rock (vastly easier than the way we had come up), and had to traipse back over a pretty boggy route to the road. So we didn't hit the recognised route at all, and scored 0 Munros instead of 3 (which didn't really matter, as I'd already done all 12 black Cullin Munros and July didn't know what a Munro was).

That was about the same time of year as I had been hit by snow in the Avon Gorge, which is in SW England where summer is supposedly hot, but it was one of the hottest and sunniest days I've ever known although it was in a place in NW scotland well known for soft weather (for those who speak the wrong sort of English, soft means cool and damp).

I guess what can be learnt from this is that British weather is just plain crazy.

Tom

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (8/14/2014)

In case any of you missed it and want to ensure a picture gets posted to The Thread... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Editorial/114685/

The donation page is a little broken - it appears to dislike UK post codes; fortunately this can be worked around by inserting a space where there shouldn't be one (eg "CW 12 1JY" instead of the correct "CW12 1JY").

Tom

• Ed Wagner (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

I was 10.

For most of that year I was 32. Decided I wanted to stay at that age, but found I couldn't manage it so I'm a bit older now.

Tom

• TomThomson (8/14/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

I was 10.

For most of that year I was 32. Decided I wanted to stay at that age, but found I couldn't manage it so I'm a bit older now.

Funny, I had you pegged at about 33.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/14/2014)

TomThomson (8/14/2014)

Ed Wagner (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

I was 10.

Funny, I had you pegged at about 33.

Well, that is a bit older than 32, isn't it?

Tom

• TomThomson (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

A little further south in the Thames Valley, this is the best summer we've had for six or seven years.

Sure there's been a little rain but it's kept the grass green (remember '76/'77, Tom?). I'd be very happy with more summers like this.

I don't remember much of summer 1977. It was our second year in England (Ann and I moved from Dalkeith, with the two children we then had, in March 1976) and both of us and the eldest child (age 8 years) were pretty homesick for Scotland so we went to An t-Oban in July or August, and of course took a trip to Ì Chaluim Chille (Iona to you foreigners, I guess; how English turns Ì or Ìdhe into Iona is beyond my comprehension) while we were there. The weather was dry and mostly sunny, but it certainly wasn't warm. The best things about that holiday were a photo of our son (then about 28 months old) sitting amongst grass and bluebells on a hill oustde the town (which shows that it wasn't too cold every day while we were there, although it was windy and too cold most days) and finding all three An t-Òganaich LPs at a surprisingly cheap price in a shop by the harbour. It had one lasting effect on us: we never again holidayed that far south in the highlands (everywhere from an t-Oban down to Kames seems too cold), we always went further north to get the better weather - even Morar in March was hotter and drier than An t-Oban in July/August.

I don't remember the summer of 1976 at all, except that I was back in this foreign land. I think we took a holiday in North wales, and the weather was awful, because we did that one year and I think we only had two children at the time.

The summer (or more accurately just one day of the summer) I remember best is 1967, when I was a research student at Bristol University. I didn't take any vacation that summer, as my name was distinctly mud with the acting head of the faculty and I knew I had to get some serious research done or I wouldn't get a research Master's. My supervisor (I was on excellent terms with him) and I got caught in a snow storm while rock climbing (easy stuff, not difficult, fortunately) in the Avon Gorge, in June (about the end of the month, I think). Of course we weren't dressed for snow, and definitely had the wrong clothes and footwear for rock climbing in snow, which is what (together with very idea of snow in June in SW England) made it memorable.

Another summer I remember was just a couple of years earlier (1964 or 1965, not sure which), and one particular day in June was a very strong contrast to 1967 - it was the hottest day I remember ever experiencing in Britain. That day I attempted a scramble, accompanied by a (female) friend, on a very non-recognised route in the Cuillin. We started off from where the Glenbrittle road crosses Allt a' Choire Ghreadaidh and headed slightly south of west across the boggy valley, and then up the SW side of Sgurr na Gobhar (which is all crags and loose scree) - that and the side ridge leading on from there was the non-recognised bit, the idea was to get some difficult scrambling in on that bit, and some interesting stuff along the side ridge from Sgurr nan Gobhar to Sgurr na Banachdich. Neither the interesting side ridge scramble nor the seriously hard scree scramble would have happened on the recognised route to Sgurr na Banachdich throughh Coir' an Eich, which I would call a walk rather than a scramble. The idea was that after that we would switch to a recongised route, taking the fairly pedestrian main ridge scramble via Sgurr Dearg and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich to Sgurr Thearlaich, then down by the stone chute, a little way down Coire Lagan, then across to Loch an Fhir-bhallaich and finally back to the road by the reasonably dry path across the boggy gound from there. But we didn't make it, we covered very little of that route. The heat got to us before we hit the top of Sgurr nan Gobhar, which took us many times as long as we had expected; we had used up too much water to continue (only idiots stay on the mountain with inadequate water), and went down a little further round to the south east so we were coming down roughly on the line where the south face of Sgurr nan Gobhar switches from fine scree to hard rock (vastly easier than the way we had come up), and had to traipse back over a pretty boggy route to the road. So we didn't hit the recognised route at all, and scored 0 Munros instead of 3 (which didn't really matter, as I'd already done all 12 black Cullin Munros and July didn't know what a Munro was).

That was about the same time of year as I had been hit by snow in the Avon Gorge, which is in SW England where summer is supposedly hot, but it was one of the hottest and sunniest days I've ever known although it was in a place in NW scotland well known for soft weather (for those who speak the wrong sort of English, soft means cool and damp).

I guess what can be learnt from this is that British weather is just plain crazy.

Gosh Tom, you made me homesick with this, just reading the Gaelic names and imagining scrambling up and down scree slopes on Scottish mountains - in my case, the CairnGorms and Beinn Mac Duibh.

In summer 1976 between school and uni (and Easter and summer until 1980) I fished for salmon along Burghead Bay on the Moray Firth using jumpers and bags[/url]. '76 was the first year since our family had arrived ten years earlier when it was warm enough to sunbathe on that 8-mile sandy beach and after a season exposed to the elements our crew were as brown as hazelnuts including places which face downwards - under the chin and above the eyes - which are lit by sunlight reflected off the sea and make your face look unwashed.

We had snow in June '80 in Aberdeen, just briefly. The temperature changed from about 20C to just above 0C and back again in the space of a couple of hours.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• EL Jerry (8/14/2014)

Luis Cazares (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

I was 14 in 77.

The first half of '77 I was 8, the second half I was 9.

My first contact with database software was around '85-'86, back in the days of the "new version", dBase III.

Software has also come a long way...

6 for 3/4 of the year! I just about remember '77. Queen Jubilee, street parties, the nice summer.

Rodders...

• ChrisM@Work (8/15/2014)

TomThomson (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

Gosh Tom, you made me homesick with this, just reading the Gaelic names and imagining scrambling up and down scree slopes on Scottish mountains - in my case, the CairnGorms and Beinn Mac Duibh.

In summer 1976 between school and uni (and Easter and summer until 1980) I fished for salmon along Burghead Bay on the Moray Firth using jumpers and bags[/url]. '76 was the first year since our family had arrived ten years earlier when it was warm enough to sunbathe on that 8-mile sandy beach and after a season exposed to the elements our crew were as brown as hazelnuts including places which face downwards - under the chin and above the eyes - which are lit by sunlight reflected off the sea and make your face look unwashed.

We had snow in June '80 in Aberdeen, just briefly. The temperature changed from about 20C to just above 0C and back again in the space of a couple of hours.

Hence us Brits like to talk about the weather so much!

😀

Rodders...

• I turned 7 in the middle of 77--I just about remember all the bunting being up for the Silver Jubilee. Can't remember if that was the year that everyone from my school lined the side of the road to watch the Queen go past in her limo, though!

• Ed Wagner (8/13/2014)

rodjkidd (8/13/2014)

Ed and Jason,

Some serious rain there. Glad to hear you are all OK.

Rodders...

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. Things are starting to dry out around here; there's only one freeway that's still closed due to about 13 feet of water. :w00t: I heard that Long Island, NY is being hit by the same system today.

Well, now that the roads are open and we've dried out a big, the next storm is now hitting us.

1. We got record rainfall Monday and a followup on Tuesday. Roads closed (14 feet was the maximum I heard) and basements flooded all over the Detroit metro area. People actually helped each other.

2. As soon as the water on the roads was shallow enough, the tow trucks cleared the roads. Starting Wednesday, the local news was reporting that the impound lots were charging motorists extra-high fees to get the water-soaked cars out of the impound lots. Let the gouging begin.

3. Now the scams have started. The "I can fix your home, but I need money up-front only to never be seen again" crowd has already started to hit the flood victims. We hear about this type of activity too much here, but with a natural disaster like this, it'll be more than usual. The news will swarm all over it for a few days, nothing will be done to stop it, then we won't hear much about it any more.

This people of this city hurt themselves more than the natural disaster.

• Lynn Pettis (8/14/2014)

Evil Kraig F (8/14/2014)

djj (8/14/2014)

ChrisM@Work (8/14/2014)

remember '76/'77

Watch it there young man, we aren't old. We are well seasoned! :w00t:

By the way, that's the year I graduated high school.

Fermented, perhaps.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• paul.knibbs (8/15/2014)

I turned 7 in the middle of 77--I just about remember all the bunting being up for the Silver Jubilee. Can't remember if that was the year that everyone from my school lined the side of the road to watch the Queen go past in her limo, though!

I turned 7 in the beginning of '77, so I'm just a bit older than you. I don't remember much about that year. I think that was the summer I spent in northwestern New York on the shores of Lake Ontario. It was a pretty good summer, but at 7 summer is good because there isn't any school.

• Jack Corbett (8/15/2014)

paul.knibbs (8/15/2014)

I turned 7 in the middle of 77--I just about remember all the bunting being up for the Silver Jubilee. Can't remember if that was the year that everyone from my school lined the side of the road to watch the Queen go past in her limo, though!

I turned 7 in the beginning of '77, so I'm just a bit older than you. I don't remember much about that year. I think that was the summer I spent in northwestern New York on the shores of Lake Ontario. It was a pretty good summer, but at 7 summer is good because there isn't any school.

I was 8 1/2 at the end of that year. Don't really remember a lot of '77. Now '79 I remember because I spent about 3 weeks in England. Sadly that was also the last time I required a passport. In the US we used to able to travel to Mexico and Canada without a passport, until 9/11.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Viewing 15 posts - 45,226 through 45,240 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply