Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Well off for vacation for a few days to Colorado Springs. Will be nice to be in cooler air for a few days. See you all next week at some point.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• SQLRNNR (8/7/2014)

GilaMonster (8/7/2014)

Ok, good, I'm not the only one who would think 'blocking' long before thinking 'let me post this impossible situation on the forums'

Oh blocking, yeah that must have been the problem :hehe::hehe:

First thing I usually do? EXEC sp_who2 ACTIVE

It usually responds faster than the forum. 😉

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Sean Lange (8/7/2014)

Well off for vacation for a few days to Colorado Springs. Will be nice to be in cooler air for a few days. See you all next week at some point.

Sean, have a great vacation and try to not think about work.

• Sean Lange (8/7/2014)

Well off for vacation for a few days to Colorado Springs. Will be nice to be in cooler air for a few days. See you all next week at some point.

Just great, you come to my home town while I am away working in Afghanistan. 😀

Have fun and enjoy! Maybe next time I'll actually be there.

• Lynn Pettis (8/7/2014)

Now this just pissed me off:

********* (8/7/2014)

thanks lynn, for being forthcoming (finally!)

Leaving out the name of the perp.

Maybe you are misreading him - that "finally" could refer to him finally noticing your decimal point (which of course would mean he was remarkably thick, given how clearly you had emphasized it).

Tom

• TomThomson (8/7/2014)

Lynn Pettis (8/7/2014)

********* (8/7/2014)

Maybe you are misreading him - that "finally" could refer to him finally noticing your decimal point (which of course would mean he was remarkably thick, given how clearly you had emphasized it).

Nope. We have a history and I know this was a dig.

• Sean Lange (8/7/2014)

Enjoy. Hope there's not too much rain

• Lynn Pettis (8/7/2014)

********* (8/7/2014)

Right. That guy.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Is it as annoying for you as it is for me to see all those spam posts?

Today (Sunday, August 10th), 22 out of 36 posts were plain spam. All from the same source, obviously (slight variations of mominbd followed by a number).

I'm not sure if this really helps to keep the reputation of this site up. Actually it seems like it's scaring people away....

There'd be several way to reduce the spam volume (especially from that particular source):

a) Limit the number of posts with visit = 0 to max. 1 (or even Zero) and / or

b) block that spammer (mominbd) and all its variations using a filter

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• LutzM (8/10/2014)

Is it as annoying for you as it is for me to see all those spam posts?

Today (Sunday, August 10th), 22 out of 36 posts were plain spam. All from the same source, obviously (slight variations of mominbd followed by a number).

I'm not sure if this really helps to keep the reputation of this site up. Actually it seems like it's scaring people away....

There'd be several way to reduce the spam volume (especially from that particular source):

+1

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• LutzM (8/10/2014)

Is it as annoying for you as it is for me to see all those spam posts?

ding ding ding +1

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• LutzM (8/10/2014)

This one's not going to work. Last night it was "mominbd", the previous day it was something completely different, this morning it's "ashishbaba770"

Maybe a throttle on posting new threads. A human can't post multiple threads in a very short time, the bots can (this mornings were around a minute apart)

1 minute between 1st and 2nd threads, 2 minutes between 2nd and 3rd, etc. Like with increasing delays for failed logins (which is recommended a security idea), it's unlikely to bother real users (other than the ones cross posting their stuff everywhere).

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (8/11/2014)

LutzM (8/10/2014)

Maybe a throttle on posting new threads. A human can't post multiple threads in a very short time, the bots can (this mornings were around a minute apart)

1 minute between 1st and 2nd threads, 2 minutes between 2nd and 3rd, etc. Like with increasing delays for failed logins (which is recommended a security idea), it's unlikely to bother real users (other than the ones cross posting their stuff everywhere).

+1 seems effective.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• GilaMonster (8/11/2014)

Maybe a throttle on posting new threads. [snip]

This makes sense. Realistically, I can't see anyone trying to make a new thread within 10 minutes of the last one unless they're spamming multiple boards... or are completely out of their depth and opening up five simultaneous questions about different problems they're having restoring a downed server.

Responding to threads, yes, I could see that. New threads? Not so much.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• During the world cup, it was really bad. It seemed to be all about volume, because there were more threads being created with one post each with links to watch different games. I agree that it was pretty annoying and frustrating, but will stopping it with restrictions be annoying to newer users? Not wanting to start a huge debate or anything, restricting new topics until you have points or some other similar mechanism is the SO approach and that really seems to rub some people around here the wrong way. No matter what's done, the spammers will eventually find a way around it, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Viewing 15 posts - 45,136 through 45,150 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply