• Koen Verbeeck (7/28/2014)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/28/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

But the BS around rep just sucks.

That might be where the word "Overflow" comes from. 😛

So they named it stack overflow because it is really just Diarrhea?:Whistling:

The last time I checked out stack overflow, it was just that. Maybe it got better since then, but I don't use it for anything so I wouldn't know.

I like Stack Overflow, they've done a great job, I've lost count over the answers I've gotten there. I'm not saying they're perfect, but the amount of loathing they get from you guys is just not proportionate to any actual problems over there that I can see, so I'm wondering what the real deal is? Did they treat some of you in a manner that was determined to be below your expectations or something? Not fawn over the 5 digit SSC rep or something?

They are some pretty arrogant mods over there. Topics get closed too soon and the manner on which newbies are told their questions are not up to standards by some people over there... No, thank you.

Its not perfect, and they've posted time and again on the purposes of their site, and for whatever reason they get the answers people are looking for, and there is no denying the success. I'm not going to deny your reasoning here, but it doesn't gel with the degree of loathing I'm witnessing, so I'm just wondering whats up? Did one of you 5 digit'ers get inordinately spanked over there and come back to rally the troops into a hatefest or something? Thats sort of my working theory.

• patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/28/2014)

Koen Verbeeck (7/28/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

The last time I checked out stack overflow, it was just that. Maybe it got better since then, but I don't use it for anything so I wouldn't know.

I like Stack Overflow, they've done a great job, I've lost count over the answers I've gotten there. I'm not saying they're perfect, but the amount of loathing they get from you guys is just not proportionate to any actual problems over there that I can see, so I'm wondering what the real deal is? Did they treat some of you in a manner that was determined to be below your expectations or something? Not fawn over the 5 digit SSC rep or something?

They are some pretty arrogant mods over there. Topics get closed too soon and the manner on which newbies are told their questions are not up to standards by some people over there... No, thank you.

Its not perfect, and they've posted time and again on the purposes of their site, and for whatever reason they get the answers people are looking for, and there is no denying the success. I'm not going to deny your reasoning here, but it doesn't gel with the degree of loathing I'm witnessing, so I'm just wondering whats up? Did one of you 5 digit'ers get inordinately spanked over there and come back to rally the troops into a hatefest or something? Thats sort of my working theory.

I don't think anybody around here gets into a hatefest. If anything it is probably my fault because I started the discussion. What I don't like about it is that people take an answer as gospel and are not willing to discuss it. Furthermore I don't like the general attitude that helping people learn is not what they are about. In general it seems that they want you to stick to the question instead of helping the person find an alternative. My discussion started here because I got berated for suggesting that somebody get rid of a cursor. The question asked how to write the cursor. In my standard type of response I suggested they don't need a cursor for what they were trying to do and I would help them find a set based alternative. I was told that my response was off topic because the question asked how to make the cursor work. To me, that is the wrong way to approach answering technical questions. Sure an answer is helpful but teaching a better way to do the same thing is far better in my opinion.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

More like sinking.

Not waving, but drowning 😛

The thread is sure to test your sanity (unless you are already insane :w00t:)

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.
    Anon.

• Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

I don't think anybody around here gets into a hatefest.

I'm looking at the replies in this very post. Diarrhea? Yes, probably "good natured fun" as probably seen by the threadizens, but from the outside looking in, SSC hates SO's enormous success and without knowing more, it looks "sour grapey," or alternatively, they're disrespecting your SSC ranking (which for petes sake would be even worse LOL).

If anything it is probably my fault because I started the discussion. What I don't like about it is that people take an answer as gospel and are not willing to discuss it.

They're not a discussion site, and I think I'm more like you, it probably would be nicer to discuss, and I think in your case if you'd have answered the cursor question first, and then said "then watch for performance issues as cursors on SQL Server are notoriously slow" or something along those lines, it may have fit better.

Furthermore I don't like the general attitude that helping people learn is not what they are about.

I'm actually more on SO's side here, in most topics tutorials would kill them.

In general it seems that they want you to stick to the question instead of helping the person find an alternative. My discussion started here because I got berated for suggesting that somebody get rid of a cursor. The question asked how to write the cursor. In my standard type of response I suggested they don't need a cursor for what they were trying to do and I would help them find a set based alternative. I was told that my response was off topic because the question asked how to make the cursor work. To me, that is the wrong way to approach answering technical questions. Sure an answer is helpful but teaching a better way to do the same thing is far better in my opinion.

I'm not objecting to this except to whatever degree noting SO's policy takes it. But it doesn't explain the degree of loathing I witness here.

• bantrim (7/28/2014)

bantrim (7/28/2014)

Lynn Pettis (7/28/2014)

bantrim (7/28/2014)

I'm interested in this answer as well. I have definitely encountered a fair amount of pretentious responses and posts there (then again, look at this thread's topic), but they are (both) outweighed by the indispensable amount of help I have received from a typically very helpful and kind community.

Welcome to The Thread as well. As you are new here a very brief history. Yes, this thread began as a rant about questions being posted SSC. It has also grown from there in ways the title doesn't express. This has become The Water Cooler for many of us. Yes we still rant about some of the questions and OPs, but it allows us to let off steam, refocus, and dive back in to try and help some more. It has also server as location where we have asked others to help with questions that we have found ourselves out of our depth, we aren't all masters of every aspect of MS SQL Server.

We have also learned many things about each other during the time this thread has been active. If you have a few months you may want to start at the beginning. It would also help when you get confused when we talk about the TitD (the Tent in the Desert) and the Guard Hippo that protects it (last I knew he was wearing a pink tutu).

Again, welcome and enjoy your stay.

🙂

I see I have much catching up to do then. I have pretty well just lurked and read the daily email, but noticed this thread (The Thread?) is always sitting there at the bottom, and thought "hey, why not?".

That's what it does. Hiding at the bottom, lurking, creeping and silently calling your attention. And then one day.....

You're making it sound like a Stephen King novel. Does everyone float down here?

Eventually new people surface on The Thread occasionally. Some have even taken the time to read *all* the posts.

You will find many interesting facts and trivia about some of the denizens here. You find our heartbreak and triumphs. And many other interesting items. Most of all, you will find we are human, just like you.

You may even make some friends. I have.

Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

I'm looking at the replies in this very post. Diarrhea? Yes, probably "good natured fun" as probably seen by the threadizens, but from the outside looking in, SSC hates SO's enormous success and without knowing more, it looks "sour grapey," or alternatively, they're disrespecting your SSC ranking (which for petes sake would be even worse LOL).

If anything it is probably my fault because I started the discussion. What I don't like about it is that people take an answer as gospel and are not willing to discuss it.

They're not a discussion site, and I think I'm more like you, it probably would be nicer to discuss, and I think in your case if you'd have answered the cursor question first, and then said "then watch for performance issues as cursors on SQL Server are notoriously slow" or something along those lines, it may have fit better.

Furthermore I don't like the general attitude that helping people learn is not what they are about.

In general it seems that they want you to stick to the question instead of helping the person find an alternative. My discussion started here because I got berated for suggesting that somebody get rid of a cursor. The question asked how to write the cursor. In my standard type of response I suggested they don't need a cursor for what they were trying to do and I would help them find a set based alternative. I was told that my response was off topic because the question asked how to make the cursor work. To me, that is the wrong way to approach answering technical questions. Sure an answer is helpful but teaching a better way to do the same thing is far better in my opinion.

I'm not objecting to this except to whatever degree noting SO's policy takes it. But it doesn't explain the degree of loathing I witness here.

Several years ago, I was looking for the best site for SQL Server discussion and I settled here. I assessed Stack Overflow before I found this thread and formed my own opinion without any help. I don't hate Stack Overflow or anything...I just find it doesn't have what this site has. IMO, the people here make the biggest difference.

Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

Personally, I haven't visited SO so I have no dog in this fight. Now SSC started AskSSC which is similar to SO, and though I have visited it in the past I stopped, for the same reason many seem to be bashing SO. The lack of discussion, teaching someone a better way to accomplish a task rather than perpetuating inefficient methods of doing those tasks. The real goal for many of us here is to help those starting in this field to be able to replace us eventually. That means making sure that the knowledge we possess is passed on to the next generation of SQL Server DBAs, Developers, Architects, etc. That won't happen if we just stick to the question.

• Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/25/2014)

Sean Lange (7/25/2014)

patrickmcginnis59 10839 (7/25/2014)

Getting the account balance temporarily wrong isn't a big deal, that is what the end of day reconciliation is for. And an overdraft from an account is far more likely to occur because two ATMs are being used at once than because of a uncommitted read from a database.

He might have a point here, isn't that what folks talk about regarding partitioned mode? Granted, he doesn't take into consideration page splits but that was also mentioned in the thread, so folks are covering the topic at least.

I would completely disagree here. I have real world experience here that directly contradicts this. Getting the balance correct to the penny real-time is critical when it comes to plastic cards. I saw overdraft charges in the hundreds weekly because of littering a financial application with NOLOCK. In a system with lots of activity this is not a rare thing, it is real and it happens a lot more than many people think. You can't settle a card rejection at the end of the day when the person trying to make a purchase has just been denied. Talk about some pissed off people.

His point is that getting balances correct to the penny is what reconciliations are for, and he has a point, because number one, reconciliations ARE going to get the funds, and number two, folks with plastic are legally obligated for their charges (as opposed to for instance that related bitcoin thread, folks are not tied to an anonymous account, and reconciliations don't do squat in that case).

I remember getting zapped by this, because I did two small transactions on my card, and then a third larger that overdrafted my account. The bank happily processed the third first and was able to hit me with 3 overdrafts despite applying the transactions out of chronological order (date/time) because they applied it ordered by amount descending, because its their business and I had legitimately overdrafted the account. So in my opinion, the guy is reporting reality.

I am talking about balances in the other direction. Sure in your case you were held responsible because you had three transactions that were approved which took over the limit. I am talking about the other direction when a transaction is denied because of insufficient funds caused by dirty reads.

The situation I worked with was health care debit cards and this type of thing happened. We denied prescription coverage when the account had enough funds. You can imagine how hostile things got when transactions are denied but there are enough funds to cover it.

Ordering by amount rather than chronological order is designed to create the maximum overdraft charges for the customer.

Not sure of how things truly work behind the scenes, but it could be something like how transactions are batched.

Transactions can be batched on either or both ends, so when you actually initiated the charges might not be how they are seen by the CC.

The dirty read example - denied when funds are there - is a good example of the mud hole you can end up in.

To me, the most accurate reflection of the truth does not include dirty reads.

Any time you send out a report, and the numbers change, it invites questioning the data.

Even without dirty reads, held records pending approval, returns, etc. can create plenty of questions.

We had commissions, where a sale often occurred in one fiscal month, and could have been returned up to a month later.

Nothing worse than having to ask someone to give back some money.

At least we started with a 90 day return window, and were able to tighten it to 30 days.

The only thing that I could see eliminating this would be no returns, or commissions delayed.

Neither would be acceptable to the Sales Rep, so it was the best we could do.

Life is usually sometimes picking the best compromise.

From a position you feel you can defend.

Yes good natured fun that was spawned by me. As far as ranking I couldn't care less. I have posted a lot over the years. That has earned me a lot of points on here, and possibly some sort of respect based on that. I like to think that any respect for my skills are a result of those skills and not some arbitrary point system.

I think in your case if you'd have answered the cursor question first, and then said "then watch for performance issues as cursors on SQL Server are notoriously slow" or something along those lines, it may have fit better.

This to me sounds like the entirely wrong approach. You are suggesting that I should spend my time showing them how to write a cursor just so I can then spend more time to show them how not to use one? I am NOT going to teach somebody coding techniques that need to be changed just because they asked how to do it. That to me is not how a good mentoring system should work. I don't like the notion that the point of answering questions is to horde as many points as you can. The idea should be to help people learn and become better. That has been my approach here at SSC. I guess that is not how SO works.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• Just to be clear, I have no hatred for Stack Overflow. It provides a huge service to the community. This whole thing started about the "BS around rep" thing and I couldn't agree more. Of course, that kind of ring-knocking occurs on every site, not just Stack Overflow.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

Glad you like SO.

I have seen roughly 50% of the answers to be wrong over there. You can't fix that unless you have asked a question. Why ask a question just to get rep? All that says is the rep is a game to play.

Rep is worthless. SSC points are worthless and I could really care less about that stuff because it doesn't translate to anything for anybody else.

But why take this to the personal attack level? I didn't see anybody attack you personally or directly. People reading the series of entries should be able to understand that it is good natured fun. If that is not obvious enough, then I apologize for the word assimilation.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

Yes good natured fun that was spawned by me. As far as ranking I couldn't care less. I have posted a lot over the years. That has earned me a lot of points on here, and possibly some sort of respect based on that. I like to think that any respect for my skills are a result of those skills and not some arbitrary point system.

I think in your case if you'd have answered the cursor question first, and then said "then watch for performance issues as cursors on SQL Server are notoriously slow" or something along those lines, it may have fit better.

This to me sounds like the entirely wrong approach. You are suggesting that I should spend my time showing them how to write a cursor just so I can then spend more time to show them how not to use one? I am NOT going to teach somebody coding techniques that need to be changed just because they asked how to do it. That to me is not how a good mentoring system should work. I don't like the notion that the point of answering questions is to horde as many points as you can. The idea should be to help people learn and become better. That has been my approach here at SSC. I guess that is not how SO works.

The points actually work pretty well. Its a form of crowdsourcing, where the points come as a result of others posting their opinions about your presense on a site. SSC on the other hand generates its only rating based on the users own actions, thats why it takes manual admin intervention to remove spam attacks, and you also could get the occasional high rated users who are otherwise social malcontents who really need the boot out of here, and this is where peer ratings help. I agree that other artifacts can take place with point systems like SO but as long as you aren't actually doing spam attacks and are otherwise just participating in a socially acceptable manner, the points don't really affect you too much, its when they're really needed like in the case of actually hostile actions is when the lack of them really makes it apparent.

As far as cursors and RBAR goes, you have a valid point, on the other hand, there is no shortage of info regarding cursor performance out there.

• SQLRNNR (7/28/2014)

Ed Wagner (7/28/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/27/2014)

Jeff Moden (7/26/2014)

SQLRNNR (7/26/2014)

Glad you like SO.

I have seen roughly 50% of the answers to be wrong over there. You can't fix that unless you have asked a question. Why ask a question just to get rep? All that says is the rep is a game to play.

Rep is worthless. SSC points are worthless and I could really care less about that stuff because it doesn't translate to anything for anybody else.

But why take this to the personal attack level? I didn't see anybody attack you personally or directly. People reading the series of entries should be able to understand that it is good natured fun. If that is not obvious enough, then I apologize for the word assimilation.

Good grief, the ol "personal attack" meme again. Thats fine, have at it.

• Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

I agree with that sentiment.

If all it is about is the rep and just answering a question, then the person can find the answer in BOL just as easily as posting a question to SO or SSC. But if you can add a discussion and teach them, then that is the better route.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Sean Lange (7/28/2014)

The points actually work pretty well. Its a form of crowdsourcing, where the points come as a result of others posting their opinions about your presense on a site. SSC on the other hand generates its only rating based on the users own actions, thats why it takes manual admin intervention to remove spam attacks, and you also could get the occasional high rated users who are otherwise social malcontents who really need the boot out of here, and this is where peer ratings help. I agree that other artifacts can take place with point systems like SO but as long as you aren't actually doing spam attacks and are otherwise just participating in a socially acceptable manner, the points don't really affect you too much, its when they're really needed like in the case of actually hostile actions is when the lack of them really makes it apparent.

As far as cursors and RBAR goes, you have a valid point, on the other hand, there is no shortage of info regarding cursor performance out there.

Well, I think SSC is one of the most professional SQL Server sites this community has and we usually do a very good job of self-policing ourselves in an effort to keep it that way. Even the best of us sometimes fall and need to be held accountable for what we say and do on this site. Been there, had it done. The system usually works quite well.

Viewing 15 posts - 44,806 through 44,820 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply