Are the posted questions getting worse?

• And now that the paperwork has been signed....

November it's good bye consulting, back to full time grind. Starting at a software development house as a technical lead. Focusing on SQL (no surprise there), but they promised that I can dabble in .net from time to time (in places I can't do too much harm)

Mixed feelings. I wanted the consulting to work out, but too many months of too little work.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (9/23/2013)

And now that the paperwork has been signed....

November it's good bye consulting, back to full time grind. Starting at a software development house as a technical lead. Focusing on SQL (no surprise there), but they promised that I can dabble in .net from time to time (in places I can't do too much harm)

Mixed feelings. I wanted the consulting to work out, but too many months of too little work.

Congrats...or maybe my condolences...

Either way it will be nice to have a steady income. 😛

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

Well, at least you have work.

It's interesting as you are the 2nd international consultant I know that has gone back to being and FTE because of lack of work.

Welcome back to the ranks of the wage slaves!

Jason Wolfkill

• Shifting gears... now I finally realize how easy it is to start a war over something with a trivial meaning in one language and a substantial meaning in another.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/lost-translation-coke-apologizes-offensive-bottlecap-4B11233764

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Welcome back. 🙂

I went through the same thing. It's less money per hour but being an FTE has its benefits... literally.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

Commiserations.

FTE has its compensations, don't be too concerned, and maybe consulting will be viable again in a few years time when the world's economies have recovered from the big crash of 2007/2008.

Tom

• Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)

Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

Grant Fritchey (9/23/2013)

Rolled out an explosive. It could be a lady finger or a nuclear bomb. Curious how it's going to go off. Stand by for a fizzle or a big bang.

Real or code metaphor?

Metaphor.

Trust me, when I build real explosives (not that I would ever do that) I usually have a pretty good idea how big the bang will be (mostly, occasional surprises are part of the fun).

Careful there! NSA monitoring in progress.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Thank goodness for that. Someone has to keep us ol' submarine sailors from having too much fun. I figure I was pushing the edge a bit with my 8 foot long potato cannon... 5 foot long 2 inch dia barrel... 3 foot long 6 inch dia combustion chamber... electronically fired by a pushbutton. 14 seconds hang time on the potato when shot straight up and I was only using 2 squirts of Napthalene (Lighter fluid). Had a really nice report and looked cool as all getout at night. One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Raccoons knocked it off the shelf in the garage in the dead of winter and the PVC tubing just shattered when it hit the cement floor.

The next one is going to have a shoulder mount and a handle like a bazooka along with an atomizer, an O2 charging hose (so I don't have to manually ventilate it between shots), and a ball valve as a side/breech loader so I don't have to muzzle load it (although that did provide some extra compression when the tater was tight fitting). Heh... did I mention it would also have 4 foot long 8 inch diameter combustion chamber and a 10 ft barrel? I'm thinking about going into business delivering fast food to the space station. If I put some 1/4" hardware cloth over the muzzle, maybe I can specialize in French Fries. 😛

Of course, we'll be firing that bad boy remotely the first dozen or so times.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Thank goodness for that. Someone has to keep us ol' submarine sailors from having too much fun. I figure I was pushing the edge a bit with my 8 foot long potato cannon... 5 foot long 2 inch dia barrel... 3 foot long 6 inch dia combustion chamber... electronically fired by a pushbutton. 14 seconds hang time on the potato when shot straight up and I was only using 2 squirts of Napthalene (Lighter fluid). Had a really nice report and looked cool as all getout at night. One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Raccoons knocked it off the shelf in the garage in the dead of winter and the PVC tubing just shattered when it hit the cement floor.

The next one is going to have a shoulder mount and a handle like a bazooka along with an atomizer, an O2 charging hose (so I don't have to manually ventilate it between shots), and a ball valve as a side/breech loader so I don't have to muzzle load it (although that did provide some extra compression when the tater was tight fitting). Heh... did I mention it would also have 4 foot long 8 inch diameter combustion chamber and a 10 ft barrel? I'm thinking about going into business delivering fast food to the space station. If I put some 1/4" hardware cloth over the muzzle, maybe I can specialize in French Fries. 😛

I'm more interested in the specs on your rail gun pork chop launcher. 😛

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• dwain.c (9/23/2013)

I'm more interested in the specs on your rail gun pork chop launcher. 😛

BWAA-HAAA!!!! Sorry... that would be proprietary information. So are the Nitrogen tri-Iodide powered Pixie Sticks. 😛

Say... you don't happen to know what the coeffecient of drag would be on a 2" diameter, 4 inch long, slighly rounded-at-the-ends Russet spud slug would be do ya? :hehe:

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)One of these days, I'm going to sit down and calculate the muzzle velocity on that bad boy.

Well, ignoring air resistance you'd be talking something like 150mph... 😀

• Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

dwain.c (9/23/2013)

Good thing you never loaded a frozen pork chop in there!!! :w00t:

Ever watch the pumpkins fly?

Must be an art to picking one that will take the initial burst of acceleration.

• Jeff Moden (9/23/2013)

dwain.c (9/23/2013)

You'd better fire it remotely at first! Then check the components to make sure nothing cracked or broke.

You know, those are some pretty impressive stats for a spud gun, especially the 14 seconds. I'd be careful when seeking revenge on the critters in the garage, though. If you use that it sounds like your next project will be repairing the hole in the garage wall before more critters get in.

I'm sure you already thought about this for your new design, but if you have a 4 foot by 8 inch combustion chamber and a 10 foot barrel, you're talking about a significant amount of weight that you want to put on your shoulder. You're going to have to consider balance and how the weight is distributed. The weight will help with kick, but that will depend a lot on your charge.

I had tossed around the idea in my head about a barrel that's open in the rear, but that would probably require a self-propelled potato, which I've personally never seen.

Your project sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun. 🙂

• Ed Wagner (9/24/2013)

<snipped>

I had tossed around the idea in my head about a barrel that's open in the rear, but that would probably require a self-propelled potato, which I've personally never seen.

Your project sounds like a ridiculous amount of fun. 🙂

A recoilless potato rifle??? That would be AWESOME!!!

Jason Wolfkill

Viewing 15 posts - 41,371 through 41,385 (of 66,610 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply