Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Have a question for Redgate Backup users. I have looked on the Redgate site without luck.

How would I directly query Redgate Backup data tables to extract information for my own reporting?

• Lynn, I would presume (and hope) the standard backup history related tables in msdb are still updated.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Sean Lange (7/12/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (7/12/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/12/2013)

Is there a difference in the US between passport and ID?

Yes, there is. Passport allows us to cross borders with other countries. ID could be anything from a driver's license to a state ID card (similar in size to a driver's license without the driving priviledges) to a student / military ID card, etc.

There are lots of definitions of what "ID" means in the States. Passport is just one of them.

EDIT: And there is no law (federal at least) that requires us to have our ID on us all the time. Most states I've lived in don't have that law either. It's just darned inconvienent to not have ID at hand when someone requests it in order to do business (mortgage, credit card use, drinking, etc.).

Ah, that explains why they ask "can I see some ID?" in the movies. 🙂

It is actually kind of funny in the US. For things like travel or other more official things you hear "some ID". When making a credit card purchase or age verification at a bar you generally hear "your ID", which I suspect is probably more common in Europe.

We don't need an ID for credit card purchases in Europe, we have a pin code. You know, technology advancements and all 😉 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Koen Verbeeck (7/15/2013)

Sean Lange (7/12/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/12/2013)

Is there a difference in the US between passport and ID?

Yes, there is. Passport allows us to cross borders with other countries. ID could be anything from a driver's license to a state ID card (similar in size to a driver's license without the driving priviledges) to a student / military ID card, etc.

There are lots of definitions of what "ID" means in the States. Passport is just one of them.

EDIT: And there is no law (federal at least) that requires us to have our ID on us all the time. Most states I've lived in don't have that law either. It's just darned inconvienent to not have ID at hand when someone requests it in order to do business (mortgage, credit card use, drinking, etc.).

Ah, that explains why they ask "can I see some ID?" in the movies. 🙂

It is actually kind of funny in the US. For things like travel or other more official things you hear "some ID". When making a credit card purchase or age verification at a bar you generally hear "your ID", which I suspect is probably more common in Europe.

We don't need an ID for credit card purchases in Europe, we have a pin code. You know, technology advancements and all 😉 😀

Australia uses a PIN code too but thankfully still accept signatures.

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh![/I]

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
    INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
    The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?[/url]
    Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some![/url]
    Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.[/url]
    [url url=http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/St

• One of the worries I have when travelling is that I have my passport, ID book and driver's licence with me all at the same time. It's one of the very few times I will have all three on me (ID book and passport are usually locked away at home)

Getting a new passport will be problem enough, getting a new driver's licence requires an ID book and getting a new ID book can take months...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hi Gail,

it is rather intimidating renewing Driver's License is a process and a half, either you need to be first in line or you will spend the whole day waiting for officials.

The alternative is to pay for special services over weekends then it only takes 15 minutes total but it does cost abit more and no bribes it is amazing and worth it. The service is available in the Tshwane area.

As for the other documents if they get lost forms part of nightmares that are reoccuring to me

Regards

Andries

• GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

One of the worries I have when travelling is that I have my passport, ID book and driver's licence with me all at the same time. It's one of the very few times I will have all three on me (ID book and passport are usually locked away at home)

Getting a new passport will be problem enough, getting a new driver's licence requires an ID book and getting a new ID book can take months...

All right. I'll bite. What is an ID book? (ID I understand, but they made a whole book out of it?)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

One of the worries I have when travelling is that I have my passport, ID book and driver's licence with me all at the same time. It's one of the very few times I will have all three on me (ID book and passport are usually locked away at home)

All right. I'll bite. What is an ID book? (ID I understand, but they made a whole book out of it?)

HI Brandie,

It is a scaled down version of a passport. It use to contain drivers and gun licenses. Marriage certificates etc but ID Books are falling away and are going to be replaced by a chip card much like the american social security cards

regards

• hvermaak (7/15/2013)

Brandie Tarvin (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

HI Brandie,

It is a scaled down version of a passport. It use to contain drivers and gun licenses. Marriage certificates etc but ID Books are falling away and are going to be replaced by a chip card much like the american social security cards

Thanks for the explanation.

Though American social security cards don't have chips. They're just little paper cards.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Our government guys are trying to get rid of identity theft but i'm sure that some corrupt official will need be selling the information long before the cards are issued to the public.

• hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

HI Brandie,

To expand...

It's too large to be carried around most of the time, it's only very slightly smaller than my passport, so for most purposes a driver's licence is accepted instead. Places that need to see the ID are banks and government offices for the most part.

Interestingly enough, Prometric refused to accept my ID book as a valid piece of ID for writing an exam, because it doesn't expire and hence the photo is way out of date (unless stolen you get one around the age of 16 and never replace it)

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

hvermaak (7/15/2013)

GilaMonster (7/15/2013)

HI Brandie,

Thanks for the explanation.

Though American social security cards don't have chips. They're just little paper cards.

Little paper cards that no one has. I lost mine before I went into the Navy, which was before some of you were born.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (7/15/2013)

Little paper cards that no one has. I lost mine before I went into the Navy, which was before some of you were born.

You could get a replacement, you know. I did. And yes, I still have mine (the second one at least). @=)

• Lynn Pettis (7/14/2013)

Have a question for Redgate Backup users. I have looked on the Redgate site without luck.

How would I directly query Redgate Backup data tables to extract information for my own reporting?

Just checked to be sure, but everything should be in MSDB.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Grant Fritchey (7/15/2013)

You could get a replacement, you know. I did. And yes, I still have mine (the second one at least). @=)

Why? I know the number and it's not a form of ID in most circumstances.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 40,531 through 40,545 (of 66,549 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply