Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Because every first day of a month needs some geek humor in it, I present to you #OccupyEarthWithAGiantLaserBeam[/url].

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• GSquared (8/1/2012)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (8/1/2012)

Grant Fritchey (8/1/2012)

Kiara (8/1/2012)

Does this look like a giant advertisement to anyone else?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1039196-391-1.aspx

Nah, I'm sure 5 different people are going to swoop in and post once time on the same forum just by coincidence...

Well, some of it certainly looks like a snake-oil salesman and his sock-puppets. But it seems pretty likely that anyone reading the whole discussion would cross the plugged product off their list of candidates for purchase, so it's not a very successful advertising effort (unlesss you believe that all publicity is good publicity, so acquiring a reputation even for over-puffed snake oil is good for sales).

A giant screwed-up attempt at advertising, perhaps?

Considering the date-stamps, I doubt it was a marketing campaign. More like someone posted some negative data, and a sales/marketing person from the company tried to make it look good, but others then, over time, posted mostly negative about it. Too much time between posts for it to be a campaign.

I agree it was almost certainly not a marketing campaign. I think though that the pro posting on 5 Jan was probably done or instigated by the marketing person who replied to the OP, and probably also the posting on July 22 (although I agree that the date gap is a bit surprising if so). The pro posting on August 17 looks genuine though. The subsequent posts are clearly not part of any marketing campaign.

Tom

• GilaMonster (7/31/2012)

Evil Kraig F (7/31/2012)

Ugh, sick for a week blows. I miss anything of import since last Tuesday?

Vacation! Mine! (no, you're not invited πŸ™‚ )

LOL! Bah, shame you don't drink or I'd offer to bartend... πŸ˜‰ Need help picking out bikinis? *Ducks* Dammit! *ducks again* Alright, I got the hint!

-- And now that I've had a chance to catch up..

@paul-2: Yeah, show up more dude. I miss your commentaries and examples that lead us into the bowels of the optimizer where there's like two giant cave spiders and a forgotten Microsoft coder they've been living off of as you show us the cogs and wheels that actually run the monstrousity we call a career.

@jeff: That... makes more sense as to why you've seemed more grumpy lately (weeks if not a few months). Not what I expected, but makes more sense. If you'd like to talk more about that PM me, I assume your box is still full in self-defense like it was for a while.

@tom: About demanding test structures, I agree with you, and have noticed it as well. A few folks lately have been 'structure or blow off' without even attempting a recommendation to the original poster. I'm not saying I don't ask for it myself but I've tried to make sure I temper it with the best generic recommendations I can until I see final products, and a lot of simpler questions really don't need it, it just makes it easier to make sure the person asking the question actually knew what they were asking.

... That about covers it I think. I can't comment on the splitter conversation directly without doing a ton of code work myself that I don't have time for until I play catchup on my real work...

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (8/1/2012)

GilaMonster (7/31/2012)

Evil Kraig F (7/31/2012)

LOL! Bah, shame you don't drink or I'd offer to bartend... πŸ˜‰ Need help picking out bikinis? *Ducks* Dammit! *ducks again* Alright, I got the hint!

Should we start calling you Mallard? πŸ˜‰

• Lynn Pettis (8/1/2012)

Evil Kraig F (8/1/2012)

GilaMonster (7/31/2012)

Evil Kraig F (7/31/2012)

:w00t: Random, yet horribly appropriate.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

Lynn Pettis (8/1/2012)

Evil Kraig F (8/1/2012)

GilaMonster (7/31/2012)

Evil Kraig F (7/31/2012)

:w00t: Random, yet horribly appropriate.

Well, you are the one who kept "duck"ing. :w00t:

• Brandie Tarvin (8/1/2012)

Because every first day of a month needs some geek humor in it, I present to you #OccupyEarthWithAGiantLaserBeam[/url].

That's a terrific parody there Brandie. I thought that this world through Google Glasses short was good too.

The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge. - Stephen Hawking

@paul-2: ... where there's like two giant cave spiders and a forgotten Microsoft coder they've been living off ...

Well, being a Kiwi he does live in the land of Mordor. πŸ˜›

Fal.

• Fal (8/2/2012)

True; see the picture below of two hobbits* winning our first gold medal in the rowing (double sculls) an hour or so ago:

* Look how little they are!

• SQL Kiwi (8/2/2012)

Fal (8/2/2012)

True; see the picture below of two hobbits winning our first gold medal in the rowing (double sculls) an hour or so ago:

<<snip>>

They've waxed their feet. How fashionable!

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

GilaMonster (7/31/2012)

Evil Kraig F (7/31/2012)

-- And now that I've had a chance to catch up..

@paul-2: Yeah, show up more dude. I miss your commentaries and examples that lead us into the bowels of the optimizer where there's like two giant cave spiders and a forgotten Microsoft coder they've been living off of as you show us the cogs and wheels that actually run the monstrousity we call a career.

@jeff: That... makes more sense as to why you've seemed more grumpy lately (weeks if not a few months). Not what I expected, but makes more sense. If you'd like to talk more about that PM me, I assume your box is still full in self-defense like it was for a while.

@tom: About demanding test structures, I agree with you, and have noticed it as well. A few folks lately have been 'structure or blow off' without even attempting a recommendation to the original poster. I'm not saying I don't ask for it myself but I've tried to make sure I temper it with the best generic recommendations I can until I see final products, and a lot of simpler questions really don't need it, it just makes it easier to make sure the person asking the question actually knew what they were asking.

... That about covers it I think. I can't comment on the splitter conversation directly without doing a ton of code work myself that I don't have time for until I play catchup on my real work...

Good to see you're on the mend, Craig πŸ˜‰

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (8/1/2012)

GSquared (8/1/2012)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (8/1/2012)

Grant Fritchey (8/1/2012)

Kiara (8/1/2012)

Does this look like a giant advertisement to anyone else?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1039196-391-1.aspx

Nah, I'm sure 5 different people are going to swoop in and post once time on the same forum just by coincidence...

Well, some of it certainly looks like a snake-oil salesman and his sock-puppets. But it seems pretty likely that anyone reading the whole discussion would cross the plugged product off their list of candidates for purchase, so it's not a very successful advertising effort (unlesss you believe that all publicity is good publicity, so acquiring a reputation even for over-puffed snake oil is good for sales).

A giant screwed-up attempt at advertising, perhaps?

Considering the date-stamps, I doubt it was a marketing campaign. More like someone posted some negative data, and a sales/marketing person from the company tried to make it look good, but others then, over time, posted mostly negative about it. Too much time between posts for it to be a campaign.

I agree it was almost certainly not a marketing campaign. I think though that the pro posting on 5 Jan was probably done or instigated by the marketing person who replied to the OP, and probably also the posting on July 22 (although I agree that the date gap is a bit surprising if so). The pro posting on August 17 looks genuine though. The subsequent posts are clearly not part of any marketing campaign.

Good heavens. There are days I doubt my ability to read anything. As a couple of you pointed out - there is too much distance between the timestamps. For some reason, I was skimming some of the "last login" times and interpreting them as the time stamps, not the actual post times - which, at the time I was looking at it, made it look like a bunch of posts within a fairly short time frame. (Which is even funnier, because they aren't all marked "Today" - just some of them are.)

Proof that the human brain sees what it wants to see sometimes, rather than what's actually in front of it. πŸ™‚

Not the first time I've confused the two dates on this site. My brain seems to want to see the posting time in a nice info box off to the left, and not where it actually is. (That's not the site's problem, that's mine.) I promise to drink more coffee before reading active threads in the future. πŸ™‚

-Ki

• SQL Kiwi (8/2/2012)

Fal (8/2/2012)

True; see the picture below of two hobbits* winning our first gold medal in the rowing (double sculls) an hour or so ago:

* Look how little they are!

That's amazing. Usually rowing teams are taller. At 6', I was one of the smaller people on my team.

Never could scull, though. I'm more of a sweep rower.

• What is the difference between sculling and rowing?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (8/2/2012)

What is the difference between sculling and rowing?

whether you sulk or smile while you stroke

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 37,231 through 37,245 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply