Are the posted questions getting worse?

• capn.hector (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

Really???

does not seem to be the same welsh as when i first started posting.

or is it

I don't know. There have been some seriously strange questions from him. Mixture of semi-advanced and outright basic.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/17/2012)

capn.hector (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

Really???

or is it

I don't know. There have been some seriously strange questions from him. Mixture of semi-advanced and outright basic.

When I first started SQL Server, my knowledge was incredibly spikey in where I knew a ton (for the time) and absolutely nothing. For example, I knew jack about indexing other than I wanted them, but I was very strong in pure SQL logic due to my time in Access.

I have a feeling that may be the case here, and probably doesn't have a local mentor to bounce the 'easy ones' off of so they want to doublecheck themselves with a community they can trust.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (7/17/2012)

GilaMonster (7/17/2012)

capn.hector (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

Really???

or is it

When I first started SQL Server, my knowledge was incredibly spikey in where I knew a ton (for the time) and absolutely nothing. For example, I knew jack about indexing other than I wanted them, but I was very strong in pure SQL logic due to my time in Access.

I have a feeling that may be the case here, and probably doesn't have a local mentor to bounce the 'easy ones' off of so they want to doublecheck themselves with a community they can trust.

As long as he has been working with SQL Server, some of these questions are just hard to believe.

What if I had asked the same question, what would have gone through your minds? I guess it comes down to expectations of someone with 7 years experience working with SQL Server.

• Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

As long as he has been working with SQL Server, some of these questions are just hard to believe.

What if I had asked the same question, what would have gone through your minds? I guess it comes down to expectations of someone with 7 years experience working with SQL Server.

That you were having an off day and brainfarting? But I've seen your skills and work, I've yet to see Welsh offer anything significant, though I don't read every thread anymore.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Evil Kraig F (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

That you were having an off day and brainfarting?

I was think more of a serious brain injury, but okay.

But I've seen your skills and work,

But you still won't consider me for remote part-time work to augment my income. πŸ˜‰

I've yet to see Welsh offer anything significant, though I don't read every thread anymore.

Mostly requests for assistance, but I have tried to engage him where I think some of his experience would be of benefit. Lately though, the questions have become more basic, and (imho) more for work to be done than just guidance.

• Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

I've yet to see Welsh offer anything significant, though I don't read every thread anymore.

Mostly requests for assistance, but I have tried to engage him where I think some of his experience would be of benefit. Lately though, the questions have become more basic, and (imho) more for work to be done than just guidance.

We all have holes, sometimes serious ones in places. I'm amazed sometimes with the questions on the MVP list, but everyone doesn't know everything, or even been exposed to everything in the product. That was a fairly basic question, but perhaps he's never worked with MERGE before?

• SQLRNNR (7/17/2012)

Congrats to Gail and Grant on the new book coming out in November.

http://www.apress.com/9781430247708

Here's another one coming out in August (by a couple of other threadizens).

http://www.amazon.com/Server-2012-T-SQL-Recipes-Problem-Solution/dp/1430242000

Yeah! Congrats indeed!

-- Gianluca Sartori

• rodjkidd (7/17/2012)

BrainDonor (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

Okay, Brad is Hannible, you are Murdock, and Steve is Face. Who is B A Barrackus?

The one that kept insulting people and calling them 'Fool'? That has to be Celko, surely.

"I pity the fool who doesn't use ISO standards!"

Rodders...

...proceeds to clean coffee off her keyboard...

-Ki

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

We all have holes, sometimes serious ones in places. I'm amazed sometimes with the questions on the MVP list, but everyone doesn't know everything, or even been exposed to everything in the product. That was a fairly basic question, but perhaps he's never worked with MERGE before?

I know I haven't used MERGE yet. It could also be that he's like me in that he has broader knowledge that prevents him from having the time to get quite as deep into SQL Server. Before the job I'm on now I worked with and frequently switched between VB.Net, C#, C++, HTML, DHTML, ASP, XML, Sharepoint, Javascript, Access, SQL Server, Office Scripting, Cold Fusion, Photoshop and whatever else was thrown my way including 3rd party software, company specific programs and legacy code for languages I don't actually know.

I've been working with SQL Server since 6.5 or 7, but there are still large gaps in my knowledge. I'm much better witih 2008 & 2005, but that's because that's what I've been using primarily on this job. Also because I've finally had the time to focus on one (or three) things. This site and SQL Server Saturdays and my local SQL Server Users Group have been an enormous help, but I wouldn't be surprised if I ask questions here that have you thinking the same of me that you do of him.

To me, as long as someone is willing to learn, work and put in the effort to improve, that's all I can ask or expect. The people that just want things handed to them and keep asking the same basics over and over are the ones I have a problem with.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/17/2012)

Lynn Pettis (7/17/2012)

Possibly. Could also be a change in his current situation, under more pressure perhaps. Just seems over the last few months he's been asking very basic questions or looking for what appears to be free help with work. I can't go far enough back to really say more than that. It just seemed that he was asking more detailed and advanced type questions at one time.

• Gianluca Sartori (7/18/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2012)

Yeah! Congrats indeed!

You're welcome.;-)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Gianluca Sartori (7/18/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2012)

Yeah! Congrats indeed!

That second one looks like it would be pretty good. (But then again, I just might be biased.)

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (7/18/2012)

Gianluca Sartori (7/18/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2012)

Yeah! Congrats indeed!

That second one looks like it would be pretty good. (But then again, I just might be biased.)

Added it to my list of QOD ads in the newsletter πŸ˜‰

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/18/2012)

WayneS (7/18/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2012)

Yeah! Congrats indeed!

The first one as well as the second please? It has some deep stuff in, I promise,

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (7/18/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/18/2012)

WayneS (7/18/2012)

SQLRNNR (7/17/2012)

Yeah! Congrats indeed!

The first one as well as the second please? It has some deep stuff in, I promise,

I concur. Grant and Gails book should be included in ads.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 36,916 through 36,930 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply