Are the posted questions getting worse?

• L' Eomot Inversé (6/20/2012)

The thread seems very quiet. I've been away three days and there are only 62 new posts on it.

But I may not find the energy to read even those few posts.

Life has suddenly changed. Our daughter is in hospital and very unlikely to come out again. We originally thought it was something that that would be fixed quickly, and didn't worry much, but the medical team discovered it was not quite so simple late last week. Ann and I flew back to the UK on Friday night and I spoke to Nikki at the hospital by phone on Saturday, and she seemed fairly OK, so I planned to go up and see her on Monday. Then on Sunday I got a call from the hospital - it wasn't just not quite so simple, but a good deal worse. I drove up on Monday morning and spent most of 3 days visiting there, mostly with Nikki but also talking to the medical team. Early this afternoon teh medical team's view changed from "difficult to deal with" to "not curable, only limited palliative measures possible, unlikely to be able to return home". Her mother, Ann, was too ill to travel on Monday so I came back this afternoon to pick her up and will drive back up there with her tomorrow, so that she too can visit.

Tom, I am so sorry to hear that. You and your family are in my thoughts. I wish there were more that we could do for you.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

The thread seems very quiet. I've been away three days and there are only 62 new posts on it.

Life has suddenly changed. Our daughter is in hospital and very unlikely to come out again. We originally thought it was something that that would be fixed quickly, and didn't worry much, but the medical team discovered it was not quite so simple late last week. Ann and I flew back to the UK on Friday night and I spoke to Nikki at the hospital by phone on Saturday, and she seemed fairly OK, so I planned to go up and see her on Monday. Then on Sunday I got a call from the hospital - it wasn't just not quite so simple, but a good deal worse. I drove up on Monday morning and spent most of 3 days visiting there, mostly with Nikki but also talking to the medical team. Early this afternoon teh medical team's view changed from "difficult to deal with" to "not curable, only limited palliative measures possible, unlikely to be able to return home". Her mother, Ann, was too ill to travel on Monday so I came back this afternoon to pick her up and will drive back up there with her tomorrow, so that she too can visit.

Tom - heartfelt condolensces for you and your family. I'll pray for a miracle from above.

Life has suddenly changed.

Prayers and warm thoughts headed your way, Tom. That's a very difficult situation to deal with.

-Ki

Tom

I am really sorry to hear about your family situation, and I am joining the others in prayers.

• OMG

Please, I really hope this person was joking.

• Nope Not Joking

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• How can you work with MS Windows and not know this? This person is scary.

• Lynn Pettis (6/21/2012)

How can you work with MS Windows and not know this? This person is scary.

Or English is not his first language and he doesn't yet understand the technical terms that we take for granted.

If "start" is a different word in his native language and he hasn't yet learned it in English, that explains a lot.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (6/21/2012)

Lynn Pettis (6/21/2012)

How can you work with MS Windows and not know this? This person is scary.

Or English is not his first language and he doesn't yet understand the technical terms that we take for granted.

If "start" is a different word in his native language and he hasn't yet learned it in English, that explains a lot.

You are correct, it definately appears that English is not his first language. And I'm sorry, watching this thread, he scares me. I don't think I'd want him working on my stuff.

So Sorry to hear that Tom. We are all wishing the best for you and your family.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

You hear about tragedies like this all the time but don't usually pay attention except when it's someone you know. Tom, you have my best wishes for your family during this time. I hope, at the least, she can enjoy what she has left in as little pain as possible.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Lynn Pettis (6/21/2012)

OMG

Um, that's Charmer, nothing new there. He's always had a very difficult time with the English language, enough that it can end up frustrating both him and others out of proportion with the issue. It's a shame but I've just learned I can't communicate well enough with him that either of us end up satisfied, so I leave him to others.

He's also, I think, used to having in person mentors so he's used to more hand-holding on the first time through a process. I can't be sure about that though, it's a guess.

Good luck.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• OMG.

This space left intentionally blank due to possible harm by misunderstanding. No electrons were hurt in the blanking of this space. If you or a loved one are witness or have information leading to the misunderstanding or maltreatment of electrons, please contact your nearest Atom Registry. They're there to help.

ROTFLOL

I love it.

• Evil Kraig F (6/21/2012)

Lynn Pettis (6/21/2012)

OMG

Um, that's Charmer, nothing new there. He's always had a very difficult time with the English language, enough that it can end up frustrating both him and others out of proportion with the issue. It's a shame but I've just learned I can't communicate well enough with him that either of us end up satisfied, so I leave him to others.

He's also, I think, used to having in person mentors so he's used to more hand-holding on the first time through a process. I can't be sure about that though, it's a guess.

Good luck.

Well, you know me. I'll keep trying no matter how frustrated I get. Of course, then I rant contantly here and everyone gets tired of that and tells me to walk away, but I can't, so the vicious cycle continues until a solution is found (and not necessarily from me).

• Brandie Tarvin (6/21/2012)

OMG.

ROTFLOL

I love it.

I don't get it. What was in your quote? I see nothing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 36,601 through 36,615 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply