Are the posted questions getting worse?

• L' Eomot InversΓ© (1/4/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/4/2012)

Ninja's_RGR'us (1/4/2012)

Just got this ad on linked in!

Become an Oracle DBA in 24 Hours... call or mail <SNIP>

Not sure if this link will work for y'all.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Become-Oracle-DBA-in-24-42161.S.87682944?view=&gid=42161&type=member&item=87682944&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_nd-pst_ttle-cn

Wow. It only takes 24 hours to learn Oracle? Sign me up! How many credit card numbers do you need before I get my certification?

I've flagged it as inappropriate. Hope others have too.

I have, and since absolutely no comment are for the spam, it should help in moderating the post. That being said I don't know how much moderation we should expect from linkedin, I've never reported anything there before.

• Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

Grant Fritchey (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

Allright, I missed a few weeks of the thread because my wife gave birth to a wonderful son. (and thus killing my regular sleeping pattern)

Did I miss anything important?

(no, pants jokes are not important)

Congratulations!

Same-old, same-old around here.

Whoah whoah.

You forgot to mention that Gail passed Steve in the overall ranking :w00t:

(ok, maybe not so important :-D)

That's why I post them as pictures. It stands out more in a quick scan.

& Congrats! πŸ˜€

• Revenant (1/4/2012)

GilaMonster (1/4/2012)

Dev (1/4/2012)

On a slightly different note, I was looking into some linked server issues and found a comment in this Microsoft article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188279.aspx that MS doesn't recommend the use of linked servers anymore. She asked if anyone else had heard this, but never got an answer, so here I am asking the same question. Any ever heard the idea that Microsoft doesn't recommend the use of linked servers any more?

Not very sure if I get it correctly but RPC calls are generally slow.

Are you sure about that? Because that's how most front end languages execute calls to SQL prepared statements or stored procedures, via RPC.

RPC call has about 30k instructions path. It used to be a problem; with today's processors running at 2.7 GHz or more and more functionality delegated to NIC it is not.

However, often linked servers are remote. The loop delay between the server that initiates the RPC and the one that serves it may be quite large (try pinging some middle eastern or Indian servers from London or from Los Angeles and you'll see some amazingly long loop delays). The processor speed doesn't help in the least with this. If some RPCs are part of a distributed transaction the lock hold time will be increased by the sum of all the loop delays for these RPCs as well as by the execution times of the RPC path, and this increase may be 6 decimal orders of magnitude greater than the contribution made to the RPC path. That's why it is sensible, in some network situations, to try to limit the number of RPCs that occur within transactions (remote transactions, as opposed to RPCs within a transaction, are not of course an issue except in terms of response times visible at the front end so are much less of an issue).

Basically the rule is don't build a networked set of databases that need, in order to provide adequate throughput and satisfactory response times, more performance out of the network than it can provide.

Tom

Allright, I missed a few weeks of the thread because my wife gave birth to a wonderful son. (and thus killing my regular sleeping pattern)

Congratulations.

And no, it's a long long time since anything important happened.

Tom

• Ninja's_RGR'us (1/4/2012)

L' Eomot InversΓ© (1/4/2012)

Just got this ad on linked in!

Become an Oracle DBA in 24 Hours... call or mail <SNIP>

Not sure if this link will work for y'all.

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Become-Oracle-DBA-in-24-42161.S.87682944?view=&gid=42161&type=member&item=87682944&trk=eml-anet_dig-b_nd-pst_ttle-cn

Wow. It only takes 24 hours to learn Oracle? Sign me up! How many credit card numbers do you need before I get my certification?

I've flagged it as inappropriate. Hope others have too.

I have, and since absolutely no comment are for the spam, it should help in moderating the post. That being said I don't know how much moderation we should expect from linkedin, I've never reported anything there before.

It's the first time I've reported anything there too (in fact I only worked out how to do so after I read that post) so I don't know whether it will have any effect or not. But if several people report it that may be more likely to produce a useful response than if only one does.

Tom

("no pants" jokes are important)

My congratulations, with wishes of health to both your son and his mother.

Re the killed sleeping patterns, your grandchildren will avenge you.

• Revenant (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

Careful what you wish for, at some point you'll be the one babysitting! πŸ˜€

Revenant (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

Ah I have raised 2 sons and 1 daughter, who in turn produced 2 gals as grand kids, and one of those in turn had a girl (April 2010) and is expecting a boy in March of this year Thus blessing me with 2 great grand children.

One thing I have learned over the years. Yes my wife and I take care of the grand kids, spoil them rotten, and when we have finished baby sitting them we send back to their parents. So we have lots of fun with them and the parents spend the endless sleepless nights

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• bitbucket-25253 (1/4/2012)

Revenant (1/4/2012)

Koen Verbeeck (1/4/2012)

Ah I have raised 2 sons and 1 daughter, who in turn produced 2 gals as grand kids, and one of those in turn had a girl (April 2010) and is expecting a boy in March of this year Thus blessing me with 2 great grand children.

One thing I have learned over the years. Yes my wife and I take care of the grand kids, spoil them rotten, and when we have finished baby sitting them we send back to their parents. So we have lots of fun with them and the parents spend the endless sleepless nights

+1

My experience and point, exactly. Thank you, bitbucket.

• Brandie Tarvin (1/4/2012)

Kiara (1/4/2012)

Kiara (1/4/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/3/2012)

So, skirting the edge of the "no tech speak in The Thread" rule...

How is your first week of 2012 shaping up work wise? Are you in firefighting mode with month end / year end stuff? Has it breezed by because everyone's too busy with their own stuff?

Are you starting in on the pile o' projects for 2012? Or are you bored out of your skull because peeps are still on vacation and this is the only break you expect to get for the rest of the year?

I'm halfway between firefighting and pile o' projects.

Just found air... πŸ™‚

The first agreed-on day I could get to move our ERP databases to new hardware was Monday - holidays are useful for that sort of thing. ERP databases moved smoothly, got all the various and sundry connecting systems to happily talk to the new machine.

Life was good.

And then I got to the point where I needed to move the Sharepoint databases.

Databases are easy to move. Convincing Sharepoint to look at a new server? That's another story entirely. Took most of yesterday to resolve it.

All's well that ends well, however, and I managed to clear up a few annoying bits and pieces that I hadn't made time to deal with in the process.

So. Happy New Year a couple of days late, everyone!

Good to hear, welcome to 2013.

ROFL! I will admit - by yesterday morning I was beginning to wonder if I was going to miss the whole year!

Girl, I haven't talked to you since last year! How have things been going during that long time apart? @=)

You're going to have to write up an article about migrating Sharepoint databases for the SQL DBA. In fact, I insist upon it as I might have to do this sometime in the future... Do it. DO IT! @=) (pretty please, sugar on top?)

+1

I really need a good article on migrating Sharepoint databases & so do many other SQL DBAs. When Kiara has already migrated Sharepoint databases successfully, who else can write better :cool:??

Sujeet Singh

• Divine Flame (1/4/2012)

Kiara (1/4/2012)

Kiara (1/4/2012)

Brandie Tarvin (1/3/2012)

So, skirting the edge of the "no tech speak in The Thread" rule...

How is your first week of 2012 shaping up work wise? Are you in firefighting mode with month end / year end stuff? Has it breezed by because everyone's too busy with their own stuff?

Are you starting in on the pile o' projects for 2012? Or are you bored out of your skull because peeps are still on vacation and this is the only break you expect to get for the rest of the year?

I'm halfway between firefighting and pile o' projects.

Just found air... πŸ™‚

The first agreed-on day I could get to move our ERP databases to new hardware was Monday - holidays are useful for that sort of thing. ERP databases moved smoothly, got all the various and sundry connecting systems to happily talk to the new machine.

Life was good.

And then I got to the point where I needed to move the Sharepoint databases.

Databases are easy to move. Convincing Sharepoint to look at a new server? That's another story entirely. Took most of yesterday to resolve it.

All's well that ends well, however, and I managed to clear up a few annoying bits and pieces that I hadn't made time to deal with in the process.

So. Happy New Year a couple of days late, everyone!

Good to hear, welcome to 2013.

ROFL! I will admit - by yesterday morning I was beginning to wonder if I was going to miss the whole year!

Girl, I haven't talked to you since last year! How have things been going during that long time apart? @=)

You're going to have to write up an article about migrating Sharepoint databases for the SQL DBA. In fact, I insist upon it as I might have to do this sometime in the future... Do it. DO IT! @=) (pretty please, sugar on top?)

+1

I really need a good article on migrating Sharepoint databases & so do many other SQL DBAs. When Kiara has already migrated Sharepoint databases successfully, who else can write better :cool:??

If Kiara won't - and she has the right of first refusal -, perhaps someone in Building 35 could?

Can you spell out the topic for that white paper?

Congrat's man! That is great news. And yes, 'no pants' jokes are important. Around here anyway.

I'm packing and preparing for SQLSaturday 104 in CO. Can't wait. Backing up my VM's and PPT now. I was going to SQLSki but my Dr. put me on Cipro (antibiotic) which I found out with some research that I could blow out a tendon if I exercise (and a million other side effects). So much for snowboarding for the first time. Looks like I'll be taking the bus to the lodge and reading on my iPad with some hot chocolate all day.

Maybe, I'll take a nap and sleep some and think about how you CAN'T! I've got 4 kids ages 10..22. I remember the sleepless nights [that my wife had]. Ha! Just kidding....

.... I don't actually remember her sleepless nights!

edit: spell checked AFTER clicking 'Post'.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

GilaMonster (1/4/2012)

Ok, talk about deja vu....

Deadlocks 1: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1229544-1550-1.aspx

Deadlocks 2: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1230105-391-1.aspx

Same cause (well, almost), same pattern, same day.

That could be your next article. Comes up often enough that it'll be forever useful.

SQL Server MVP Deep Dives 1. Chapter 42.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Oh, just the start of a new year... πŸ˜€

Congratulations to you both!

-Ki

• Congrats Koen... That is wonderful news. A good start to your new year... πŸ™‚

-Roy

Viewing 15 posts - 33,166 through 33,180 (of 66,547 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply