SQLRNNR (12/13/2011)

About due for a Pantsectomy :-D:-D:-D:-D

40F in Denver, no need for pants today.:-P

Just as long as you wear the Cowboy hat

Of course

Uh. OK. I'm somewhat scandalized.

Scandalous

Here it is only Wednesday and you have all lost your #$%@ minds

To loe your mind in environment like this is a proof of rationality.

You say only Wednesday, nay ye forget we had lost our minds 30 or so years ago

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• GSquared (12/14/2011)

(Sorry. I consider English a toy. Periodically, I break it and need to get my parents to buy a new one. Or something like that.)

I have a spare language floating around, let me see if I can....

Nëš yâlna donlëäy lisala alhâlë säe eârvël.

Wë alvârsë yoe näch. Yów Sennar lämë alchan amadrën ey lämëya alóara.

Lamë alena 'Låeše wóndë ëšåeya halnë chåelal hóse.'

Haven't looked at that in years, must flesh out more sometime.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GSquared (12/14/2011)

If something has been vaporized, it means it's been turned into vapor.

Politicized = made political

Excized = Exed (removed)

So ... you've been turned into a scandal? :w00t:

Ah yes. You are right. I meant to say that I was Scandalified (a victim of scandal-i-fication). Sorry if my lack of English knowledge caused any confusion.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• SQLRNNR (12/14/2011)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (12/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (12/13/2011)

About due for a Pantsectomy :-D:-D:-D:-D

40F in Denver, no need for pants today.:-P

Just as long as you wear the Cowboy hat

Gah!!! My eyes again!!! 😎

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Koen Verbeeck (12/14/2011)

Roy Ernest (12/14/2011)

You all are NUTS. I think I am the only sane person in the THREAD. 😀

I loved the comment about our resident Santa. 🙂 Brilliant but crazy.... hahahahaha

By posting on this thread you're immediately disqualified as a sane person 🙂

(with the sole exception of the OP of course)

Second that!

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• bitbucket-25253 (12/14/2011)

Here it is only Wednesday and you have all lost your #$%@ minds

It's only Wednesday!!!!!! Feels like Friday afternoon to me

• Hey Jeff, I got the ultimate compliment earlier. Someone who didn't read my name on my post mistook me for you after point them in the directing them to the Tally table article!

Woot woot! Yep, I'm Satan Santa! If but only for a moment. It's gone now though... :crying:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Lynn Pettis (12/14/2011)

Divine Flame (12/14/2011)

Everybody is going insane here 😀 Reading the posts of this thread is fun & crazy 😎

Have to agree with Gus, going?

Actually, if you do take the time over the next few months to read the entire thread you will learn much about many of the main players on this site.

This thread has really become a water cooler for many of us.

Mean while, I am back of to the Tent in the Desert. I am sure the hippo is getting lonely as we haven't had a party there in a while. 😛

Yes, I got 50 extra mails in imy inbox after I wrote 1 post in this thread (don't know how many will come after this!!!:w00t: ). I am really enjoying this, no doubt in that 😀

Sujeet Singh

• Back on topic again:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1222173-391-1.aspx

And it's with our personal favorite: the interview questions!

I especially like his replies. We're all fake (and not crazy?).

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Divine Flame (12/14/2011)

Lynn Pettis (12/14/2011)

Divine Flame (12/14/2011)

Everybody is going insane here 😀 Reading the posts of this thread is fun & crazy 😎

Have to agree with Gus, going?

Actually, if you do take the time over the next few months to read the entire thread you will learn much about many of the main players on this site.

This thread has really become a water cooler for many of us.

Mean while, I am back of to the Tent in the Desert. I am sure the hippo is getting lonely as we haven't had a party there in a while. 😛

Yes, I got 50 extra mails in imy inbox after I wrote 1 post in this thread (don't know how many will come after this!!!:w00t: ). I am really enjoying this, no doubt in that 😀

Only 50? Let's take it up a notch!

• L' Eomot Inversé (12/14/2011)

GSquared (12/14/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (12/14/2011)

GSquared (12/14/2011)

Well, per the French scholars Goscinny and Uderzo, it was actually the ancient Gauls who used this method of settling certain disputes. Usually disputes over musical quality, if I remember correctly. 😛

No, the disputes over musical quality were generally settled with a tree, a rope, and a gag. :w00t:

The fish method was used by the Gauls mainly for settling disputes over fishmonger hygeine 😀 (possibly because given their fishmonger's practises this was the only sensible use for the fish ;-)).

Very strange people those ancient Gauls, though. How could self repecting people let themselves be ruled by someone called ComprehensiveInsurance? With a name like that, he would surley have been promoting all sorts of useless policies.

In the American translations (most of them), his name is Vitalstatistix.

Drat, my memory was pkaying tricks on me. Assurancetorix (ComprehensiveInsurance) was the bard, not the chief, who was Abraracourcix (a bras raccourci - could mean any of with arm drawn back/with bent arm/very hard, I haven't a clue which of the three it was meant to mean in this name - or maybe the phrase has another possible meaning, except that I have a vague recollection of his being pictured standing on his shield with one arm raised and bent so maybe the first.)

And yes, I fondly remember, in Asterix and the Black Gold, Unhygienix (the fishmonger) trying to sell Getafix (the druid) a "fresh fish straight from Londinium" or something like that. (The supporting cast names change in various translations. Asterix and Cleopatra has completely different names for the chief, the druid, the bard, and several others. So I thought I'd better ID the people by their description instead of just their names. Location names, like the Roman camps around the village, also change depending on the translator.)

I think that translating these names is quite difficult, because one can't actually translate in every case - the result wouldn't be namelike, and making it end in ix might make the meaning too obscure - and one can't just leave the original names or the fact that the names are all meaningful phrases (which is part of the fun of the books) gets lost. The translator whose work you read did an excellent job with Unhygienix for the fishmonger (Ordralfabétix - Alphabetical order - in the original) and a fair job with Getafix for the druid (Panoramix in the original - so Panoramic, Panorama, or Pan [the swing of the camera] in English), with both names saying something about the underlying character.

In Belgium, they didn't translate the names to Dutch (lazy translators). So it was only recently that I found out they were all word plays.

Love the comics though. Silly Romans...

• Evil Kraig F (12/14/2011)

Pork Chops: Get Jeff to tell the story, he started the insanity on that one! Short and slightly inaccurate version: Picture a desire for a wrist slingshot and frozen porkchop over dinner with an idiot.

But... I like pork chops. 🙂

• Evil Kraig F (12/14/2011)

Hey Jeff, I got the ultimate compliment earlier. Someone who didn't read my name on my post mistook me for you after point them in the directing them to the Tally table article!

Woot woot! Yep, I'm Satan Santa! If but only for a moment. It's gone now though... :crying:

Like I said in a previous post out there, Craig... the Tally Table and similar phenomena is in good hands. I used to be one of the first to suggest a Tally Table solution and now I can't keep up with good folks like you. It might be time for Santa to spend more time drinking hot chocolate instead of building little red wagons. 🙂 Well done!

P.S. And thank you for the reverse compliment, Craig. Very nice of you to say such a thing.

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jim Murphy (12/14/2011)

GSquared (12/14/2011)

If something has been vaporized, it means it's been turned into vapor.

Politicized = made political

Excized = Exed (removed)

So ... you've been turned into a scandal? :w00t:

Ah yes. You are right. I meant to say that I was Scandalified (a victim of scandal-i-fication). Sorry if my lack of English knowledge caused any confusion.

LOL! I love it!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Felt very bad to mark it SPAM http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1222357-377-1.aspx?

Viewing 15 posts - 32,596 through 32,610 (of 66,548 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply