Are the posted questions getting worse?

• GSquared (10/13/2011)

Ninja's_RGR'us (10/13/2011)

GSquared (10/13/2011)

GSquared (10/13/2011)

BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

I know a few users I'd like to send into space.

Yup but the thing is they'll come back. Not really the best option for that.

I'd go with the death ray or something similar.

Re-entry could take care of that pretty easily!

I tought of that. But since I'd love to take that fly some day. I'd rather the company stay viable :-D.

Well, yeah. And given your avatar, an affinity for large-scale death rays is sort of a given, isn't it?

Obviously :w00t:.

Now keep in mind that I'm at least 4-5 episodes away from that. But then again, don't tempt me! 😛

Well, if we're sticking to that, then it's not about death rays, it's about being one of the whiniest little annoyances to ever live. My chief thought when I see the pod race is, "too bad he didn't die a firey death in that thing, it would have saved that galaxy from a lot of whining and pouting!"

Thanx for the good words! :hehe:

• BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

Hmmm...That would be a really good contest

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• GSquared (10/13/2011)

BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

Who said we'd send the users into space in a projectile that could re-enter? I'm thinking Star Wars system or Cruise missile or something.;-)

Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (10/13/2011)

GSquared (10/13/2011)

BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

Who said we'd send the users into space in a projectile that could re-enter? I'm thinking Star Wars system or Cruise missile or something.;-)

A better way to do it would be to forget about putting them in a projectile, instead use each selected user as an individual projectile. Just fire them into space from a gun with a high enough muzzle velocity (I guess the escape velocity for a bullet-like object, about mach 34, wouldn't do to get them into space, since the starting point would be in atmosphere and the air drag on a user would be much more than that on a bullet, but as the heating caused by air drag would probably have a similar effect to cremation anyway it wouldn't really matter if they didn't quite reach space; the launch acceleration would have some useful effects too).

Tom

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (10/13/2011)

GSquared (10/13/2011)

BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

A better way to do it would be to forget about putting them in a projectile, instead use each selected user as an individual projectile. Just fire them into space from a gun with a high enough muzzle velocity (I guess the escape velocity for a bullet-like object, about mach 34, wouldn't do to get them into space, since the starting point would be in atmosphere and the air drag on a user would be much more than that on a bullet, but as the heating caused by air drag would probably have a similar effect to cremation anyway it wouldn't really matter if they didn't quite reach space; the launch acceleration would have some useful effects too).

Maybe it wouldn't be enough to achieve orbital velocity... but what a heck of a Porkchop launcher that would make. 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (10/13/2011)

L' Eomot Inversé (10/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (10/13/2011)

GSquared (10/13/2011)

BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

Maybe it wouldn't be enough to achieve orbital velocity... but what a heck of a Porkchop launcher that would make. 😀

"Long pig" in this case, I guess.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/13/2011)[hrA better way to do it would be to forget about putting them in a projectile, instead use each selected user as an individual projectile. Just fire them into space from a gun with a high enough muzzle velocity (I guess the escape velocity for a bullet-like object, about mach 34, wouldn't do to get them into space, since the starting point would be in atmosphere and the air drag on a user would be much more than that on a bullet, but as the heating caused by air drag would probably have a similar effect to cremation anyway it wouldn't really matter if they didn't quite reach space; the launch acceleration would have some useful effects too).

I like your thinking Tom. Perhaps a free "user-tour-of-Railgun" contest is an approach to consider?

• L' Eomot Inversé (10/13/2011)

SQLRNNR (10/13/2011)

GSquared (10/13/2011)

BrainDonor (10/13/2011)

There's been serious consideration of a "space gun" or "space rail gun" for orbital insertions of packages that can stand that kind of g force. NASA is considering one.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    --------------------------------------
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• OMG

Really??

• I am at the Presentation of Steve jones for the sql pass. MS supported event and guess what laptop Steve is using? An Apple.. 😀

-Roy

• Lynn Pettis (10/13/2011)

OMG

Really??

Sounds about right for a new record.

• Roy Ernest (10/13/2011)

I am at the Presentation of Steve jones for the sql pass. MS supported event and guess what laptop Steve is using? An Apple.. 😀

Just like Brent Ozar ! 😀

OMG

Really??

Yup.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Roy Ernest (10/13/2011)

I am at the Presentation of Steve jones for the sql pass. MS supported event and guess what laptop Steve is using? An Apple.. 😀

I like it!

Even better if it were something Linux, but I guess you can't have everything.

Maybe a presentation stored in the Amazon cloud and accessed via an Android tablet would be even better ...

Property of The Thread

OMG

Really??

Quite literally yes

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 30,856 through 30,870 (of 66,632 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply