Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

Wearing boots with a kilt isn't a problem (as long as we have socks). But sandals and a kilt? Perhaps... maybe... in a Roman Legionaire kind of way... maybe. (see above point about the legs.)

What would you make of tulaichean pumps or gille brogues with a kilt then? I usually wear the latter, used to wear the former quite often but not much now, but depending on the occassion have worn sneakers, wellies, ankle boots, sandals, wrapovers, formal shoes, and flipflops with kilt - like most people, I suit footwear to the current task rather than worrying about fashion, and if the footwear is right for a given task it's right whether I'm wearing a kilt or something different.

As for socks with kilt:- short socks with casual lace-ups or ankle boots, long with wellies or formal lace-ups, and whatever (long socks, short socks, or no socks) suits the occasion (and the weather) with any of the others.

All of the above work.

It's not socks with sandals and a kilt that give me pause... it's the specific image of socks with sandals - and only a particular kind of "socks with sandals" image - that creates that reaction.

Because that brings back memories of a certain fashion era that I keep hoping is dead and gone...

-Ki

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/8/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

Wearing boots with a kilt isn't a problem (as long as we have socks). But sandals and a kilt? Perhaps... maybe... in a Roman Legionaire kind of way... maybe. (see above point about the legs.)

If he went with the Roman Legionaire "kind of way" would you require he carry a gladius and wear a nidau helmet?

And greeves. Would certainly attract attention.

Dye the helmet plumes red, wear a red cloak and you're a walking advertisement.

Oh good god, don't give them ideas.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• GilaMonster (6/9/2011)

Is this person irritating anyone else, or am I just in low-tolerance mode at the moment?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/UserInfo635080.aspx

Some of the posts seem... less than original.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Kiara (6/9/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

What would you make of tulaichean pumps or gille brogues with a kilt then? I usually wear the latter, used to wear the former quite often but not much now, but depending on the occassion have worn sneakers, wellies, ankle boots, sandals, wrapovers, formal shoes, and flipflops with kilt - like most people, I suit footwear to the current task rather than worrying about fashion, and if the footwear is right for a given task it's right whether I'm wearing a kilt or something different.

As for socks with kilt:- short socks with casual lace-ups or ankle boots, long with wellies or formal lace-ups, and whatever (long socks, short socks, or no socks) suits the occasion (and the weather) with any of the others.

All of the above work.

It's not socks with sandals and a kilt that give me pause... it's the specific image of socks with sandals - and only a particular kind of "socks with sandals" image - that creates that reaction.

Because that brings back memories of a certain fashion era that I keep hoping is dead and gone...

I was just going to wear black socks that went about 1/3 of the way up my shin, that's right isn't it? Or were we talking argyle?

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• Grant Fritchey (6/9/2011)

Kiara (6/9/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

All of the above work.

I was just going to wear black socks that went about 1/3 of the way up my shin, that's right isn't it? Or were we talking argyle?

Not gonna take the bait. Not gonna take the bait. Nope. Going to find happy things to think about. Yes. Happy things.

-Ki

• Kiara (6/9/2011)

Grant Fritchey (6/9/2011)

Kiara (6/9/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

All of the above work.

Not gonna take the bait. Not gonna take the bait. Nope. Going to find happy things to think about. Yes. Happy things.

I usually just knit my leg-hair together.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• jcrawf02 (6/9/2011)

Kiara (6/9/2011)

Kiara (6/9/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

All of the above work.

:sick:

-- Gianluca Sartori

• jcrawf02 (6/9/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (6/9/2011)

Hey, Steve (and other Prius owners), I just heard about this and wanted to pass it along:

Toyota says a problem with electric power steering is prompting a recall of about 52,000 Priuses from 2001-3 in the United States, part of a global action affecting 106,000 vehicles.

remember when power steering was an option?

Yep - everytime I drive the GTO. ๐Ÿ˜€

4.9 turns lock to lock.

Lots of cranking to park it.

First one had a manual transmission and brakes too.

And 'air' was to manually crank down the windows.

Pretty crude by any of today's standards.

• jcrawf02 (6/9/2011)

Kiara (6/9/2011)

Kiara (6/9/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

All of the above work.

Do you still need extentions to fill up the blanc spots :w00t:

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution ๐Ÿ˜€

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

Ghillie Brogues are just fine with a kilt. But a search of the web didn't give me a picture of "Tulaichean pumps", so I can offer no opinion on those being worn with a kilt. Seeing that I'm on the western side of the pond, the most common time I see men in kilts is a Pipe Band in a parade and that is generally the full kit with all the bells and whistles. So that's what I'm used to seeing.

As for the addition of swords, if you're going to add swords, best to keep it within the culture. The addition of a Scottish Claymore to the whole thing will probably produce as many comments as just the kilt.

I heard a story about a person in the SCA who was coming back from an event and was riding the NCY subway in the late evening hours. His persona for the SCA was Scottish, so he was wearing the kilt, all the bells and whistles and a Claymore. There were only a few in the subway car when three or so punks got on. They, being the punks that they were, saw a man in a skirt as easy prey. As they moved in to close on their chosen victim, he stood up, bared a few feet of steel and said, "I've got three more feet of steel and I know how to use it." The punks, being the cowards they generally are, decided that the next stop was theirs and got off the subway.

Whether the story is true or not, I have no clue. But it makes for an interesting picture and entertaining story.

But then, if someone was wearing a kilt and sandals and also carting around a Claymore, I just might be more forgiving about the whole socks thing. ๐Ÿ˜€

-- Kit

• Brandie Tarvin (6/9/2011)

Hey, Steve (and other Prius owners), I just heard about this and wanted to pass it along:

Toyota says a problem with electric power steering is prompting a recall of about 52,000 Priuses from 2001-3 in the United States, part of a global action affecting 106,000 vehicles.

Thanks. I have a 2006, so I should be ok.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• So I just started a consulting company and I have a question for you. What should my title be? If I'm the CEO, the company looks really small - any time the CEO is out doing something, there can't be that many people back at the "office". Although it's just me and will probably stay that way, I'd like the company to sound like it has clout. The other upside to not having a "top level" title is that when people you don't want to talk to call, you can always say, "the boss isn't in". If I'm a "Database Engineer", it doesn't sound like I know anything. Senior SQL Engineer? VP of ________? Director of Database Technology? Hmmm......

• Some people call themselves the Principal Consultant, or Senior Consultant.

Peter MaloofServing Data

• Kit G (6/9/2011)

Tom.Thomson (6/9/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

Ghillie Brogues are just fine with a kilt. But a search of the web didn't give me a picture of "Tulaichean pumps", so I can offer no opinion on those being worn with a kilt. Seeing that I'm on the western side of the pond, the most common time I see men in kilts is a Pipe Band in a parade and that is generally the full kit with all the bells and whistles. So that's what I'm used to seeing.

As for the addition of swords, if you're going to add swords, best to keep it within the culture. The addition of a Scottish Claymore to the whole thing will probably produce as many comments as just the kilt.

I heard a story about a person in the SCA who was coming back from an event and was riding the NCY subway in the late evening hours. His persona for the SCA was Scottish, so he was wearing the kilt, all the bells and whistles and a Claymore. There were only a few in the subway car when three or so punks got on. They, being the punks that they were, saw a man in a skirt as easy prey. As they moved in to close on their chosen victim, he stood up, bared a few feet of steel and said, "I've got three more feet of steel and I know how to use it." The punks, being the cowards they generally are, decided that the next stop was theirs and got off the subway.

Whether the story is true or not, I have no clue. But it makes for an interesting picture and entertaining story.

But then, if someone was wearing a kilt and sandals and also carting around a Claymore, I just might be more forgiving about the whole socks thing. ๐Ÿ˜€

I think I'd be more worried about someone with a gladius on a subway car. A claymore is a lot of steel in a confined space.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• I post too much.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 15 posts - 27,106 through 27,120 (of 66,608 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply