Are the posted questions getting worse?

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/8/2011)

Stefan Krzywicki (6/8/2011)

Most fitness people I've read say that it is the cumulative exercise over the day that counts. Since it is 1/4 mile to the office, that means you get 1/2 a mile just from that every day.

It's definitely cumulative, but some minimums at a time matter. I think 15-20 minutes is usually seen as a good block of time.

The first 2-3 months I mostly ran about 14-18 minutes every day. Not much more than a mile, and not fast. Sometimes I didn't even think I'd worked out when I finished, but I was surprised how strong my lungs and legs were just from a little effort.

Some would argue that 15 min of exercise a day is more effective and better for you than 60 min all at once. The principle is spreading it out over a longer period of time. Kind of like kids - they play hard for a bit then relax for a bit then play hard then relax.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Roy Ernest (6/8/2011)

Does going down the stairs and way to the back of the office towards the beach to take a smoke break count for this? πŸ™‚

Well, it should - track the mileage and time. Do it a few times without the smoke though.

Learn Extended Events

• Phew. I did it.

The good news is: I'm alive. The bad news: I'm alive. For every perspective on this thread.

1.1 miles down. Ran slow. Still had to walk some. I hope that still counts. Otherwise, I'll have to do it again tonight and add the run segments up. Please no. Already, I'm dreading next year's mile runathon.

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Well, I can't do a mile running at the moment, but I walk about 3-4 miles most days (cumulative) during the week. It's rare when I don't go over at least 1 mile.

I do need to get in better shape so I can start knocking out the 5k runs.

EDIT: MOF, I just checked the pedometer. Almost 3 miles already today.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Grant Fritchey (6/7/2011)

WayneS (6/6/2011)

Jim,

If I've read things right, you're going to the Summit? Do you know that Thursdays up there is "Kilt Day"? Grant started it... he can fill you in on it!

You've pretty much nailed it. Day 2 of the Summit is Kilt Day. Day 2 this year is Thursday. Wear a kilt, traditional or not, for no other reason than because we can and it's fun. Two years ago it was three people. Last year it was about 25. Hopefully this year we'll break 50 or more.

Just remember to wear the socks. πŸ™‚

Man in Kilt w/socks = sexy. :smooooth:

Man in Kilt w/o socks != sexy :crying:

-- Kit

• Jim Murphy (6/8/2011)

Phew. I did it.

The good news is: I'm alive. The bad news: I'm alive. For every perspective on this thread.

1.1 miles down. Ran slow. Still had to walk some. I hope that still counts. Otherwise, I'll have to do it again tonight and add the run segments up. Please no. Already, I'm dreading next year's mile runathon.

It counts

Learn Extended Events

• Kit G (6/8/2011)

Grant Fritchey (6/7/2011)

WayneS (6/6/2011)

Jim,

If I've read things right, you're going to the Summit? Do you know that Thursdays up there is "Kilt Day"? Grant started it... he can fill you in on it!

You've pretty much nailed it. Day 2 of the Summit is Kilt Day. Day 2 this year is Thursday. Wear a kilt, traditional or not, for no other reason than because we can and it's fun. Two years ago it was three people. Last year it was about 25. Hopefully this year we'll break 50 or more.

And Man in Kilt w/socks and w/Sandals?

Learn Extended Events

• I walk (very fast pace) around the office complexes here 1 to 3 times a day for excercise. Each time around the complex it 1.4 miles. I started this last year after I read something about Steve running at least a mile a day. I can't run because of my knees and back. Steve, I was only going to do a single lap today because it's starting to get hot here in Phoenix but I'll do 3 today in your Honor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• If you want to start running, there's an app called "Couch to 5K" that my fiancee uses. It starts you out slowly and walks (runs?) you through a set of incremental increases that ends with you running a full 5K. It has you start with mostly walking and short periods of running and increases the running periods per session.

I have pretty bad knees, which is why I use the elliptical, but I think I'm going to try it.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• SQLRNNR (6/8/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

WayneS (6/6/2011)

Jim,

Is.... wrong. Just... wrong.

-Ki

• Kiara (6/8/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/8/2011)

Kit G (6/8/2011)

WayneS (6/6/2011)

Jim,

Is.... wrong. Just... wrong.

Probably as jarring as a women in an evening gown and flip flops. *mentally panning down* Nice, very nice, nice, attractive, nice... wut?

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Gianluca Sartori (6/8/2011)

Roy Ernest (6/8/2011)

Does going down the stairs and way to the back of the office towards the beach to take a smoke break count for this? πŸ™‚

That's not fair, Roy!

Not all of us live in a paradise island. πŸ˜‰

Then just leave out the stuff you don't have at your place: if your office is on the ground floor: ignore the stairs part.

If you don't have a beach nearby: ignore the beach part.

If you can't access the back of your office: ignore that part, too.

So you're left with: leave the building and take a smoke break. πŸ˜€

I, personally, am not allowed to walk a distance that's longer than the length of my car (I'm working in the automotive industry). πŸ˜€

More seriously: congrats to all of you for successfully master your "weaker self"!!

Lutz
    A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question[/url]
    How to post performance related questions[/url]
    Links for Tally Table [/url] , Cross Tabs [/url] and Dynamic Cross Tabs [/url], Delimited Split Function[/url]

• Finished my 3 mile contribution gotta go log it.

I hate to tell you this, but I wear sandals, sneakers & boots with kilts, but I seldom wear long socks with them.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (6/8/2011)

Finished my 3 mile contribution gotta go log it.

I hate to tell you this, but I wear sandals, sneakers & boots with kilts, but I seldom wear long socks with them.

Well... hmmm... I guess at this point without the socks, one has to get into all sorts of other qualifiers about the legs then. Is the tone good? Tanned or White skin? Too Hairy or not? Proportioned properly?

We get into an area that can be severely critiqued. So your sexiness is not entirely assured if you're sans socks, sorry to say. The socks can and do mask many a feature that just might bump you over into the "Not sexy in a kilt" field (which of course, depends on the personal criteria of the woman viewing said man in kilt sans socks).

As said previously in The Thread, I find kilts to be sexy, but they have to be worn to certain standards in my book in order to qualify for sexy. The legs would have to be exceptional to get over the "No socks" disqualifier.

Wearing boots with a kilt isn't a problem (as long as we have socks). But sandals and a kilt? Perhaps... maybe... in a Roman Legionaire kind of way... maybe. (see above point about the legs.)

-- Kit

• Kit G (6/8/2011)

Grant Fritchey (6/8/2011)

Finished my 3 mile contribution gotta go log it.

Well... hmmm... I guess at this point without the socks, one has to get into all sorts of other qualifiers about the legs then. Is the tone good? Tanned or White skin? Too Hairy or not? Proportioned properly?

We get into an area that can be severely critiqued. So your sexiness is not entirely assured if you're sans socks, sorry to say. The socks can and do mask many a feature that just might bump you over into the "Not sexy in a kilt" field (which of course, depends on the personal criteria of the woman viewing said man in kilt sans socks).

As said previously in The Thread, I find kilts to be sexy, but they have to be worn to certain standards in my book in order to qualify for sexy. The legs would have to be exceptional to get over the "No socks" disqualifier.

Wearing boots with a kilt isn't a problem (as long as we have socks). But sandals and a kilt? Perhaps... maybe... in a Roman Legionaire kind of way... maybe. (see above point about the legs.)

If he went with the Roman Legionaire "kind of way" would you require he carry a gladius and wear a nidau helmet?

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

Viewing 15 posts - 27,076 through 27,090 (of 66,608 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply