Stefan Krzywicki (4/6/2011)

WayneS (4/6/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2011)

Roy Ernest (4/6/2011)

GilaMonster (4/6/2011)

Lynn Pettis (4/6/2011)

Star Trek (the Original)

My mother loves both that and Thunderbirds.

Gail, Low blow aimed at Lynn... ๐Ÿ™‚

I remember Star Trek Original though.

I remember ST original. Isn't that on TVLand now?

That's the thing.

I remember watching both The Monkeys and Original Star Trek as a kid, but they were both in reruns at that point. And I think they were for Brandie too. Starblazers was on around the time those reruns were playing.

Original shows for me

Of course, I also remember watching Get Smart, McHales's Navy, Sgt. Bilko, Gilligan's Island, Life of Riley, Car 54, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, etc... but that was all reruns when I was a kid.

Are you sure that Gilligan's Island wasn't in reruns then?

The shows that more accurately date me are the ones I watched in First Run: WKRP, Taxi, M*A*S*H, Magnum PI, Rockford Files, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Happy Days, etc...

Gilligan's Island is in the list of shows that were reruns. Did you mean that it shouldn't have been?

Yes - back then, we watched the weekly originals.

I remember watching The Outer Limits on the small black and white TV.

And occasionally we had to clean the tuner, or go to the hardware store with several of the vacuum tubes and test them.

Imagine cars without seat belts....much less airbags.

And $2.00 worth of gas was hard to get into the gas tank.

Greg E

Been playing catch up today, and well worth the chuckles... now lets get real about being old.

I was in high school the day a United States president passed away while in office. Yup Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1945. What makes it stick in my memory was the fact that the first radio announcement originated from a radio studio located on the top floor (18th) of my high school in the borough of Brooklyn, New York City, New York. And the voices heard where those of the students. This broadcast was recorded and later in the day heard around the world by all U.S. troops.

For better times I watched the Ed Sullivan and Milto Berle TV shows. In those days the TV tubes were round and covered with a rectangular frame. To change channels you turned a dial, remote controls, the only remote was me, rotating that dial as my parents told me to do. Among my favorite vocalists were Frank Sinatra and Berle Ives.

But alas and alack, as time flows by memories dim. Admission to the local movie theatre afternoon showing of Buck Rogers, or Tarzan serials was one 5 cents. .. Well enough of that time to get on with life.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Turning attention to a different media... Anyone remember Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• bitbucket-25253 (4/7/2011)

In those days the TV tubes were round and covered with a rectangular frame. To change channels you turned a dial, remote controls, the only remote was me, rotating that dial as my parents told me to do.

Would you be surprised if I told you that the first TV I can remember was like that?

I'm 33, so it must have been around 1980 if I can recall it.

What made the whole thing even worse was that the dial was placed on the rear side of the TV!!

Our first colour TV arrived in 1984. At the time, we must have been the only ones in the city with B/W TV. ๐Ÿ™‚

-- Gianluca Sartori

Greg Edwards-268690 (4/7/2011)

WayneS (4/6/2011)

WayneS (4/6/2011)

CirquedeSQLeil (4/6/2011)

Roy Ernest (4/6/2011)

GilaMonster (4/6/2011)

Lynn Pettis (4/6/2011)

Star Trek (the Original)

My mother loves both that and Thunderbirds.

Gail, Low blow aimed at Lynn... ๐Ÿ™‚

I remember Star Trek Original though.

I remember ST original. Isn't that on TVLand now?

That's the thing.

I remember watching both The Monkeys and Original Star Trek as a kid, but they were both in reruns at that point. And I think they were for Brandie too. Starblazers was on around the time those reruns were playing.

Original shows for me

Of course, I also remember watching Get Smart, McHales's Navy, Sgt. Bilko, Gilligan's Island, Life of Riley, Car 54, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, etc... but that was all reruns when I was a kid.

Are you sure that Gilligan's Island wasn't in reruns then?

The shows that more accurately date me are the ones I watched in First Run: WKRP, Taxi, M*A*S*H, Magnum PI, Rockford Files, Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica, Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, Happy Days, etc...

Gilligan's Island is in the list of shows that were reruns. Did you mean that it shouldn't have been?

Yes - back then, we watched the weekly originals.

I remember watching The Outer Limits on the small black and white TV.

And occasionally we had to clean the tuner, or go to the hardware store with several of the vacuum tubes and test them.

Imagine cars without seat belts....much less airbags.

And $2.00 worth of gas was hard to get into the gas tank.

Greg E

Been playing catch up today, and well worth the chuckles... now lets get real about being old.

I was in high school the day a United States president passed away while in office. Yup Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1945. What makes it stick in my memory was the fact that the first radio announcement originated from a radio studio located on the top floor (18th) of my high school in the borough of Brooklyn, New York City, New York. And the voices heard where those of the students. This broadcast was recorded and later in the day heard around the world by all U.S. troops.

For better times I watched the Ed Sullivan and Milto Berle TV shows. In those days the TV tubes were round and covered with a rectangular frame. To change channels you turned a dial, remote controls, the only remote was me, rotating that dial as my parents told me to do. Among my favorite vocalists were Frank Sinatra and Berle Ives.

But alas and alack, as time flows by memories dim. Admission to the local movie theatre afternoon showing of Buck Rogers, or Tarzan serials was one 5 cents. .. Well enough of that time to get on with life.

Did you watch Jack Benny and Burns & Allen? It is a shame so few of those shows are still around. I didn't get to see them until decades later, but they're still some of my favorites. And Your Show of Shows too!

As for music, some of my favorites growing up were Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Jordan and Frank Sinatra, but I prefer Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey. I listened to a lot of what my mother listened to and loved it.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    Itโ€™s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    Whatโ€™s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Brandie Tarvin (4/7/2011)

Turning attention to a different media... Anyone remember Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew?

Absolutely, that first series was great. I like that they still get occasionally referenced. Sure it is so DC can kepe the copyright up to date, but it still pleases me.

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.

• Stefan Krzywicki (4/7/2011)

Brandie Tarvin (4/7/2011)

Turning attention to a different media... Anyone remember Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew?

Absolutely, that first series was great. I like that they still get occasionally referenced. Sure it is so DC can kepe the copyright up to date, but it still pleases me.

I need to pitch DC a new mini-series for that. See if they'll let me write for it. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Stefan Krzywicki

Did you watch Jack Benny and Burns & Allen? It is a shame so few of those shows are still around. I didn't get to see them until decades later, but they're still some of my favorites. And Your Show of Shows too!

As for music, some of my favorites growing up were Nat King Cole, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Jordan and Frank Sinatra, but I prefer Sinatra with Tommy Dorsey. I listened to a lot of what my mother listened to and loved it.

Yes we watched Jack Benny (remember Rochester), my mom and dad controlled what I viewed on the TV.

And had the ultimate experience hearing Frank Sinatra sing with the Tommy Dorsey band in a theatre in Brooklyn, and Ella Fitzgerald sing at the Appolo theatre in what was then called the Harlem neighborhood of Manhatten. Once a year, the New Years Eve celebration listening and watching the Guy Lombardo orchestra. Recalling the days long since passed is bringing back of flood of memories, the Lawrence Welk show (original not reruns) seeing the first appearance of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show of shows.

Too many, before you know it, I will be sitting here crying into my cup of coffee.

But to all of those on the thread who started and kept this topic active even for this short period of time, thanks for "bringing back the memories"

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Stefan Krzywicki

Yes we watched Jack Benny (remember Rochester), my mom and dad controlled what I viewed on the TV.

And had the ultimate experience hearing Frank Sinatra sing with the Tommy Dorsey band in a theatre in Brooklyn, and Ella Fitzgerald sing at the Appolo theatre in what was then called the Harlem neighborhood of Manhatten. Once a year, the New Years Eve celebration listening and watching the Guy Lombardo orchestra. Recalling the days long since passed is bringing back of flood of memories, the Lawrence Welk show (original not reruns) seeing the first appearance of the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show of shows.

Too many, before you know it, I will be sitting here crying into my cup of coffee.

But to all of those on the thread who started and kept this topic active even for this short period of time, thanks for "bringing back the memories"

Though I tend to have to explain for the younger people I've adopted Jack Benny's "I'm 39!" as an homage. I'm fortunate enough to have seen Count Basie and Benny Goodman. And I'm old enough to remember listening to the waning days of The Make Believe Ballroom (and other shows) on WNEW AM.

• Dave Ballantyne (4/7/2011)

David Burrows (4/7/2011)

Dave Ballantyne (4/6/2011)

Any other threadzian going to be at sqlbits ?

Yarp, Saturday.

Ill make a point to look out for you.

Awwww.... It's so nice that we look out for each other here.

To keep it alive... I'm not quite old enough to have heard the original programs, but I remember growing up that if I had my radio at a specific spot turned a specific direction, I could pick up KNX1070 out of California (~400 miles away) at 11:00 PM and pick up either Jack Benny, The Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger, Dragnet or some other awesome radio program (they rotated). I even moved my dresser a little so that I wouldn't have to stand up and hold the radio while I listened since there seemed to be only one spot that worked. Sigh.... Still love those programs.

• Brandie Tarvin (4/7/2011)

Nope. Never heard of that one.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I got my parents copies of The Shadow radio show for their anniversary many years back. They loved it. It was one of those things they'd listen to when they were kids.

Apparently a lot of that stuff is available in CD collections if you know where to look.

• I dug the old black'n'white "Shake'n'Bake" commercials... the Mom was HOT! ๐Ÿ˜€

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Mary Tyler Moore in the "The Dick Van Dyke Show" was HOT! Not as much later in her career though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • So, what did you'll think of the QotD? I'm surprised that all of the options had some answers, and that only 10% have correct answers. The griping seems to be coming from those looking to bash the QotD, but there are some that will rip a QotD apart that are saying it was good (like Hugo). Just ignoring the griping...

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• WayneS (4/7/2011)

So, what did you'll think of the QotD? I'm surprised that all of the options had some answers, and that only 10% have correct answers. The griping seems to be coming from those looking to bash the QotD, but there are some that will rip a QotD apart that are saying it was good (like Hugo). Just ignoring the griping...

I thought it was good. It makes sense after reading the explanation in SQLmagazine by Paul Randal.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 25,486 through 25,500 (of 66,636 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply