Are the posted questions getting worse?

• To those Threadzians (and everyone else) getting hit by the latest winter storm, stay warm and safe.

-- Kit

• Kit G (2/9/2011)

To those Threadzians (and everyone else) getting hit by the latest winter storm, stay warm and safe.

And to those in Florida who can't deal with frigid, sub-70 Farenheit weather, stay warm and safe! πŸ˜€

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

To those Threadzians (and everyone else) getting hit by the latest winter storm, stay warm and safe.

And to those in Florida who can't deal with frigid, sub-70 Farenheit weather, stay warm and safe! πŸ˜€

Nah nah, they're good for now. We tag them in summer... Don't forget to prep your ark for the hurricane! :w00t:

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (2/9/2011)

GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

Nah nah, they're good for now. We tag them in summer... Don't forget to prep your ark for the hurricane! :w00t:

I've got an image now of you tagging them to track their migrations.

--------------------------------------
    When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Stefan Krzywicki (2/9/2011)

Craig Farrell (2/9/2011)

GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

I've got an image now of you tagging them to track their migrations.

Crap, I knew I forgot something, thanks for reminding me!

On an unrelated note... Oooooh Jack? You up for beers later? *click click*

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Monthly meeting note.

This month we have Randy knight presenting on Oracle and SQL and helping to make them play nice together.

More info here.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Dave Ballantyne (2/9/2011)

Handed my notice in today , i can already feel the freedom πŸ™‚

Good luck with your next venture Dave. I've been checking out Jobserve this week, with only two weeks of this contract left, and the market isn't too bad. Here's to you picking up one of those investment banking/hedge fund jobs and clearing your mortgage in two years (raises glass of ale).

β€œWrite the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Thanks Chris (and all others) for well wishes, Its an uncertain market in uncertain financial times, hopefully ive done enough leg work over the past few years to build myself as a mini-brand to stand out from the crowd.

Is the SSC party at sqlbits going to be just me again, or is anyone else going ?

Clear Sky SQL
    My Blog[/url]

• GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

HA!

Thank you, but it seems this past week, we've been nothing but wet. Drenched, actually. It actually got down to 45 degrees F the other day. Oh, my! We had to wear coats!

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• CirquedeSQLeil (2/9/2011)

Monthly meeting note.

This month we have Randy knight presenting on Oracle and SQL and helping to make them play nice together.

More info here.

Oh, that sounds interesting. I'll have to see if I can take a break from my proofreading to do this.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Brandie Tarvin (2/10/2011)

GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

HA!

Thank you, but it seems this past week, we've been nothing but wet. Drenched, actually. It actually got down to 45 degrees F the other day. Oh, my! We had to wear coats!

Misery loves company, and you're not helping. -1 this morning on my weather station, before the wind chill.

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

About -20 here, and my wife called from Florida last night about how it was kind of cold at the beach.

I thought it sounded like T Shirt eather.:-D

Some of the places that have gotten hit this year, I can imagine finding a shovel could be hard.

Not like they'd ever get a real snowfall, much less have it stick around.

• Dave Ballantyne (2/10/2011)

Is the SSC party at sqlbits going to be just me again, or is anyone else going ?

I would come if I were in the UK at the time, but I'm not.

Tom

• Brandie Tarvin (2/10/2011)

GSquared (2/9/2011)

Kit G (2/9/2011)

HA!

Oh poor you. : -) Last week here in Boston, the temp hit 36 and we took our coats off, it seemed so warm!

When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
    It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
    What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
    You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams

• Yes I agree that some of the question posted - you can get the answer from BOL or from other posts, but on the other hand I can understand the poster's side.

I am an accidental DBA. I was and still working with UNIX admin and was thrown into the SQL world. Everything I know of SQL, I'd said about 10%, are from talking to the former DBA, through this site, MS and a lot of other SQL-ish sites. I join the local SQL group, sign up for a lot of free webminar, try to read at least one blog a day about SQL (DMV/INDEX/SSRS/SSIS) but I got to admit - it's too much info and not enough time to sit down and fine tune and/or apply what I'd read/learn etc....

So please be patient with us, because sometime when you got managers and/or users in front of you and the phone ringing consistently with different issues on different servers at the same time you just don't have time to think clearly except to look to expert advise via the post for now to put out the fire and then find time to learn once the fire was put out and the dust had settle.

Give us a chance, we'll be there someday....and I hope one day I can repay my debt to the SQL society by answering someone's post.

Viewing 15 posts - 23,866 through 23,880 (of 66,641 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply