Answers to Your QOD

• george sibbald (3/19/2010)

I don't think I am giving away the farm if I say that if the answer boxes are square there is more than one correct answer, a radio button means only one correct answer.

Proof!

I say proof that Microsoft is very much responsible for the accuracy of these answers...

And as for that nameless panel of individuals that chose that "check box" to be square rather than triangular or some other unspecified shape... Hang your heads guys: you have been outed... responsibility wise.

I propose in fact that all 5 answers are correct.

Furthermore I propose that there is a 6th possible option, as long as you consider that the statement "Those who attempt an answer" contributes to the accuracy of the answer. By the same logic then surely those who didn't "contribute" contribute in their own special way? Because is it not true that a fully accurate answer should acknowledge the existence of answers that have not been attempted that could have contributed to the full picture?

I'm not being pedantic here am I?

• Anirban Paul (3/22/2010)

Hey guys this is a great community but anybody thought who made this community "GREAT"? Is it Steve or Jeff Moden or GilaMonster or Paul white or Grumpy DBA or Rufio

I got mentioned!!!! :w00t:

• Personally, I got it correct - WAG.

My feelings are:

When I submit a question, it is my responsibility to ensure that the question is phrased in such a manner that the point of the question is understood. It is my responsibility to ensure the supporting documentation reflects that as well. (Personally, I think that if the only place you are looking for the answer is BOL, then you have a very limited basis for your reading enjoyment.)

When I answer the question, it is my responsibility to pass on any additional knowledge I may have aquired in helping the person who posted the question understand why they may be wrong. It is not to bully them or everyone else to seeing it my way. Frequently, I learn something more myself.

IMHO, Steve Jones job is simply to review the question to make sure that it is formated properly. I do not believe it to be his responsibility to make sure that the poster is correct. They should be the subject expert in their question.

Otherwise, we could add Microsoft for their problems in BOL or the writer of any material used, the editor of said material, the publisher of said material, etc. Now it is everyone elses fault, and I bear no responsibility and my world is perfect - except when I want to utilize some of this faulty documentation and then I am on here throwing a fit because all of these other people are wrong.

Just my rantings - but it seems to happen so often lately.

Steve Jimmo
    Sr DBA
    “If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

• I fell into the trap that others who answered this question did, in that it did not say "check all that apply" and only check the submitter box.

As having previously submitted a good question, I had made the mistake of including the "book" answer plus three other answer's off the top of head in which one of them was supposed to be close but wrong. Instead, the close response turned out to be an alternate correct answer of which I failed to closely look at the way I worded it. Consequently, the community thus chastised me severely.

Therefore I clearly can see how your correct responses are the right ones, but it truly should have said "check all that apply!"

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler

• Just a thought. This could be a catch-22.

If you answered just "The submitter of the question" and then came to the discussion when you saw that you answered "wrong" and made your point in the discussion, you have just made the answer that included "Those who attempt an answer" to be the "right" answer.

Steve

• I still think everything on SSC is all Steve's fault. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 76 through 80 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply