Answers to Your QOD

• when the answer to the question starts with the phrase 'As I see it............', what chance have we got! 🙂

Other than that I'm in agreement with what Jason said early in the thread.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• It was a trick question. Because of the way it was asked I didn't perceive the possibility of multiple check boxes. I did select submitter, and if the question went something like "what parties are responsible etc. . " I probably would have thought to check the answerers as well.

• I don't think I am giving away the farm if I say that if the answer boxes are square there is more than one correct answer, a radio button means only one correct answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Great question - made me LOL!

Thanks to everyone who submits a question - I hope that when I feel able to submit one, I won't be shot down in flames if my choice of answers isn't 110% clear 😀

One suggestion to all questions posers: if the question can have multiple answers please state "please select ALL that apply" - I often tackle the question before my first coffee of the day, so I can't promise to always be wide awake 😉

• I am confused, The answer states that the submitter is responsible for the correctness of the question, which was my choice, (and the majority got it wrong) however I did not realize that the correct answer needed to be two choices, actually one could make a case on each choice being correct. I think that everybody ought to get some kind of credit for this question. As the respondents have borne out, the vast majority picked "The Submitter"

• Ian-440692 (3/19/2010)

For me the question of the day is about learning and not about the acquisition of points. When I get a question wrong I look deeper into it, I learn more. If the answer to the question was wrong, when I look into it, it just reinforces what I knew or learnt. I am always grateful to the bigger brains of SSC who expand and clarify points when the question was ambiguous or badly formed, in these discussions I learn even more. Thank you.

I would have to agree on the learning opportunity.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'm sensing a loophole if we all just cooperate. Since, by the answer, we have been granted responsibility for the correctness of the answer, we ought to all agree that the question is based more on opinion and really a seed question for discussion. As such, all responses given are correct and points should be rewarded to everyone.

• george sibbald (3/19/2010)

I don't think I am giving away the farm if I say that if the answer boxes are square there is more than one correct answer, a radio button means only one correct answer.

Most of the time this is true with checkboxes. MS will throw 1 correct answer in there and have checkboxes to verify you are paying attention.

Learn Extended Events

• brdudley (3/19/2010)

I'm sensing a loophole if we all just cooperate. Since, by the answer, we have been granted responsibility for the correctness of the answer, we ought to all agree that the question is based more on opinion and really a seed question for discussion. As such, all responses given are correct and points should be rewarded to everyone.

Interesting spin. I don't think it will happen, but it's worth a shot.:-D

Learn Extended Events

• I would think that the Site Editor (Steve Jones) would play a role in the accuracy of the content?

• 🙂

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• CirquedeSQLeil (3/19/2010)

I actually disagree with the correct answer.

Me too, but it's not terribly important. There could have been another option..."it depends".

For the record, I ticked Steve, the question writer, and Microsoft.

• As I see it, the person who composes a QOD is responsible for giving a full effort towards the accuracy of the answers and explanation. The general community of SSC users is responsible for finding errors or ambiguities and sharing that knowledge in the question's discussion thread.

I have to disagree with this answer on principle. With responsibility comes right, and vice versa. In other words, If I have the responsibility to ensure the accuracy of an answer, I should have the right to set or change that answer; else my responsibility is one I can never fulfil and becomes nothing more than a burden.

The only people who have the rights to set or change an answer to a QotD are the original submitter and the Site Editor (Steve Jones). Consequently, the full responsibility for the answer given with the question lies in their hands.

We do have the right, and responsibility, to join in the discussion when we find an answer that we believe to be inaccuate, and to petition the Site Editor to update the question with an accurate answer, as I am doing now. But without the ability to correct the answer as it appears, we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy of that answer.

Consider: If I submit a QotD with an incorrect answer, and you prove that my answer is wrong in the ensuing discussion, but Mr. Jones is unwilling or unable to update the answer*, any visitor can still get the wrong impression from the answer, as we cannot ensure that said visitor will read the discussion. But this question's submitter would still hold you responsible for my incorrect answer even though you had done everything within your power to change it.

*Unlikely in the event that you did in fact prove me wrong, I know -- but still possible.

• brdudley (3/19/2010)

I'm sensing a loophole if we all just cooperate. Since, by the answer, we have been granted responsibility for the correctness of the answer, we ought to all agree that the question is based more on opinion and really a seed question for discussion. As such, all responses given are correct and points should be rewarded to everyone.

You made me LOL in the cube farm and now everyone is staring...:w00t:

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• sknox (3/19/2010)

I have to disagree with this answer on principle...

Lighten up, dude! :laugh:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply