Answers to Your QOD

• I'm intrigued that (based on current figures) more than 30% of respondents think the person submitting the question shares none of the responsibilty for the accuracy of the answers. Can anyone who answered in this way explain why ?

I think you could make a case for all of the answers being at least partially right, apart from the presumably non-existent 'expert panel.

• and then from all users try to post questions with wrong answers ..then who was responsible for this kind ...

• I think the question and the answer given show that the answer given to the question cannot possibly be correct...Quad erat demonstrandum, one might say!!

Btw, can I have 2 points?

• Damn I got the answer correct, I must be wrong :w00t:

It's the responsibility of whoever asks the question to know the right answer. Its the responsibility of those that answer to discuss the questions incase the questioner has got it wrong themselves.

Then everyone's learning.

P.S I wouldn't expect Steve to judge every single question. Yes there could be a panel of elects that judge, but it can be just as interesting a debate when the question and answer do not match.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Seemed straight forward to me.

Can't believe so many got it wrong!

Glen Parker 🙂

• I want my points back.

Oh nevermind, I don't care!!!

P.S. Steve told us earlier that he does review the questions but only to correct obviously wrong, wrong (or good?) answer or bad explainations.

Also since BOL or MS is quoted 85% of the time in the explaination, they have some responsibility even if very small.

• Hi John,

In my world responsibility and mandate to fulfill the responsibility goes hand in hand.

If I am to take on a responsibility, I must be granted the madate/authority to fulfill it.

In this case - as one who attempt to answer - the only mandate/authority I have, is being the one who is punished for providing the wrong answer.

Therefore the correct answer - again in my world - should have been "The submitter of the question".

Best regards

Jakob

• LOVE the question, and the fact that I got it wrong! Well done, John!:-D

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• The submitter is responsible. It is NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY to review their work. How lazy and weasely is that. Try telling your users it's their job to make sure your code is correct. How far can you stretch that unemployment check? Hey it would have even been nice to see a Select all that apply instead of choose the answer for this question. If you can't stand behind your question then don't bother. (and yes, i've posted a QOD and was shredded in the comments because it was technically correct but for the wrong reasons. I did not blame the user. )

• People come here looking for advice. The advice is taken seriously and used in production code. The answers to the QotD need to be correct. If the correctness of the QotD answers is a two-way street, how about having a final answer post that judges all of the comments and suggestions and gives the best answer to the question and the reason for it?

I am often more confused by the discussions than by the questions themselves. I know this would be a labor-intensive task but, if this site's content is to be taken seriously, maybe the investment would be a good one.

Go Badgers... (NCAA)

• skjoldtc (3/19/2010)

People come here looking for advice. The advice is taken seriously and used in production code. The answers to the QotD need to be correct. If the correctness of the QotD answers is a two-way street, how about having a final answer post that judges all of the comments and suggestions and gives the best answer to the question and the reason for it?

I am often more confused by the discussions than by the questions themselves. I know this would be a labor-intensive task but, if this site's content is to be taken seriously, maybe the investment would be a good one.

Go Badgers... (NCAA)

The point of the site is the interaction of the community, not the infallibility of the articles/QotD. If people blindly take what they read and implement it without understanding WHY something works or doesn't work, the strengths and weaknesses of the approach being used, and the consequences of that approach, why would they have anyone to blame but themselves?

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• I think this is a two-edged sword. (BTW, I almost answered this correctly, then went with "submitter." Just goes to show that you should go with gut instinct -- which probably explains why my NCAA bracket is a mess, but I digress.)

On the one hand, the person answering should have some knowledge about the question (or, at the very least, be able to either (1) look it up, or (2) try running the code, if available, and see what happens) and be able to compile enough information to be able to answer the question.

BUT . . .

At the same time, the person creating the questions/answers has a responsibility to make sure the questions and answers are clear and unambiguous.

If the questions were "fill in the blank," I can understand the person answering being responsible. But, they're not; they're multiple-guess! The poster is responsible for ensuring the correct answer(s) are unambiguously available among the choices. I've had my share of grumblings where I felt the questions/answers were unfair because they could be interpreted several different ways.

I do NOT have a problem, BTW, with listing answers that sound like they might be correct, but aren't (in fact, I teach part-time, and I commonly do this on quizzes that I give out).

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• skjoldtc (3/19/2010)

Go Badgers... (NCAA)

GO ORANGE!!! (I made it a point to wear my 2003 NCAA champion SYRACUSE ORANGE shirt to work today!!!)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• the contributer was my first guess/assumtion... but then I made another "assumption" and figured they had to go through some kind of review before going live

hmmmm.... hope other code gets a review before going live 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply