And now for something completely different...

• Okay, this is decidedly NOT about SQL but I thought it worthy of note anyway:

On this date in 1969, Monty Python's Flying Circus aired for the first time on the BBC1.  The show ran for a total of 45 episodes and has over the years drawn a huge, nearly cult-like following.  I have known many people who weren't even born yet in '69 but still can quote their favorite sketches from the show verbatim.  IMHO, these guys all possessed a new kind of comic genius and the antics from the show are still hilarious to this day.   Even though I've seen most episodes multiple times, I'll still stop channel surfing to watch when I come across one being aired.  The group's members later went off to spawn comedy albums, other series (most notably Fawlty Towers) and of course movies.  Even today the Holy Grail remains to me one of the most hilarious movies of all time. 

I don't know that it would be too much of an overstatement to say that what Monty Pyton did for comedy may have approached what the Beatles did for pop and rock music, in the US at least.  They were truly ahead of their time with silly sketches that were at times risque or targeted more traditional British and sometimes even American sensibilities but always fun to watch.

So, for all of you faithful Python fans out there...

For all you do, this spam's for you!   

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• For me, nothing ever topped, "How not to be seen". 

• Not even the lumberjack sketch? 

• I'm not a lumberjack, but I'm still okay.

• I was thinking about changing my avatar.... 

• Python was and is brilliant but I see it as the culmination of work which was begun in UK radio shows such as the 'Goon Show'

http://www.thegoonshow.co.uk/

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/justthewords.htm

• For me, it's Michael Palin as Pontius Pilate in LIFE OF BRIAN trying to keep a straight face when berating the soldiers for laughing at his friend's name (you know the one.....!)

• No it isnt!

• How about John Cleese interviewing someone? Ringing the bell?

• i'm sorry but i cant continue this thread for you haven't paid.

• My brain hurts!     (too bad we don't have a 'gumby' smiley)

• Winslow?!  WINSLOW?! 

Know what I mean? Say no more...

The parrot is dead! It is no more!...

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• its not dead.. its resting...

(and I might be arguing in my spare time)

• All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you show...

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/~ebarnes/python/dead-parrot.htm 

(if its not the best of Monty Python, it may well be the most memorable... )

I wasn't born stupid - I had to study.

• Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords. (and is the five minute arguement or the full half hour?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply