Always on In PC

• Hello everyone,

I have in My PC a Windows 10 home edition , and i want to configure always on for practice.

There is any way to do it in my PC? maybe with Virtual Machine?

Thanks (:

• This is in the 2008 forum, is it meant to be? If not, which version of SQL will you be using? You usually need a cluster.

• Yes, you can do it using something like VirtualBox on your PC - but you'll need to have plenty of RAM and spare disk space.  There are various tutorials / walkthroughs of how to create this sort of environment, as this google search will show.

As m'learned colleague has pointed out, though, this is a SQL2008 section that you've posted in - you'll need to use a more modern version of SQL Server in order to do this.  I recommend the developer edition of SQL Server 2017 - it's free - or you could just use an evaluation licence of SQL Server 2019 enterprise edition; combine that with evaluation of Windows 2016, and you're looking at over 100GB free disk space required for the downloads and VMs and I wouldn't consider doing this on anything with less than 32GB RAM.

Good luck!

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Thomas Rushton wrote:

Yes, you can do it using something like VirtualBox on your PC - but you'll need to have plenty of RAM and spare disk space.  There are various tutorials / walkthroughs of how to create this sort of environment, as this google search will show.

As m'learned colleague has pointed out, though, this is a SQL2008 section that you've posted in - you'll need to use a more modern version of SQL Server in order to do this.  I recommend the developer edition of SQL Server 2017 - it's free - or you could just use an evaluation licence of SQL Server 2019 enterprise edition; combine that with evaluation of Windows 2016, and you're looking at over 100GB free disk space required for the downloads and VMs and I wouldn't consider doing this on anything with less than 32GB RAM.

Good luck!

You say that you'd need "plenty of RAM" for this..  Do you have an estimate of how much RAM that might be?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

This is in the 2008 forum, is it meant to be? If not, which version of SQL will you be using? You usually need a cluster.

In fact i'm using SQL Server 2017 version (I was probably wrong in the forum)..

• Thomas Rushton wrote:

Yes, you can do it using something like VirtualBox on your PC - but you'll need to have plenty of RAM and spare disk space.  There are various tutorials / walkthroughs of how to create this sort of environment, as this google search will show.

Good luck!

I have in My computer has 16GB of RAM, and 300GB of free disk space.

Do you think that will Good?

I'm using SQL Server 2017 version.

• 16 Gig is fine. for three servers, i would say you need 3-4 gig per server, i've done 1 core / 2 gig per server, but they are painfully slow, even with pure SSD storage

In my case, my  minimal setup for Always on is three servers. A domain controller and two servers for the cluster, as that really emulates rea world conditions

try with 2 cores and 4 gig of ram per server until everything is set up, then reduce the Primary domain controller to 2 gig of ram, as it is only doing dhcp/dns/Active directory for the two servers in the cluster.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell wrote:

16 Gig is fine. for three servers, i would say you need 3-4 gig per server, i've done 1 core / 2 gig per server, but they are painfully slow, even with pure SSD storage

In my case, my  minimal setup for Always on is three servers. A domain controller and two servers for the cluster, as that really emulates rea world conditions

try with 2 cores and 4 gig of ram per server until everything is set up, then reduce the Primary domain controller to 2 gig of ram, as it is only doing dhcp/dns/Active directory for the two servers in the cluster.

Thank you very much.

So just to understand, if I have three servers, one server is for DC, and the other two servers will be SQL servers. Do I need to physically download the SQL installation file on the sql server and install on each server?

• briefly, the way I have been doing it is as follows:

the VM will have access to a virtual folder form the host that you share, ie Z:\Shared, so you put your sql installation media there, or you can mount the iso as if it was the CD on each host. both get the media from teh host, so no duplicate downloads.

create a Virtual Machine with a 180 day trial version of Windows operating system, ie  windows 2016.

Install all my favorite software(NotePad++, Visual Studio, SSMS, etc). Myself, i have a pretty extended list of favorite tools.

that will be my base for all three machines.

Clone that image three times to be the Primary Domain controller (ie PDC01, CLUS01 and CLUS02)

linked clones are much smaller, full clones means full copies, so you need lots of disk space.~50G each, vs 60G for for original + 3 linked clones.

On each of the three VMs, run the c:\Windows32\sysprep\sysprep.exe to change to a new, random SIDs on each machine. otherwise when you join them to teh domain, you get machine already exists errors..

On Each of the three machines, give them a new name, assign static IP's to each machine and reboot. i usually use 10.0.50.1 for the DC, and 10.0.50.101 and 10.10.50.102 for the planned cluster nodes, and will assign 10.0.50.100 as the virtual cluster IP.

On the PDC, install Active directory, . Create A new domain, ie domain = Nivs719.org or Nivs719.local for example. {{yourName}.local is what i recommend in our lab examples in my user group

ON Cluster01 and 02,join them to the domain and reboot them, then install failover Cluster manager.

create the cluster.

on each Cluster Node, install SQL2016/17/19 as a new instance.

add the AAG.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• install VMware workstation/player and create 3 notes on top of it..   then you can configure always and test as much you..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply