Allow SQLSaturdays to personalize

• This may seem insignificant in light of all of the decisions that need to be made about the future of events, but one of the things that was always amazingly enjoyable about early SQL Saturday events was that they were lightweight in terms of marketing.  PASS had moved to a consistent brand, which kind of sucked the life out of individual events.

Not every event has to have a theme, but for those who want one, let them.

• Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• codegumbo wrote:

This may seem insignificant in light of all of the decisions that need to be made about the future of events, but one of the things that was always amazingly enjoyable about early SQL Saturday events was that they were lightweight in terms of marketing.  PASS had moved to a consistent brand, which kind of sucked the life out of individual events.

Not every event has to have a theme, but for those who want one, let them.

Do you have an example of what you mean by a "theme"?  I'm also not seeing how the "consistent brand" of SQLSaturday "sucked the life out of individual events".  Please elaborate.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I am interested in what you mean? I know some organizers wanted to have a different logo. I see both sides on this, but I'd support allowing different ones. I don't know that the logo has enough brand awareness.

For theme, is this a tagline? Or some sort of "SQL Saturday 1055 Atlanta - Home of the Falcons"? Or something besides BI Edition?

• So Atlanta had had themed events for a long time; we were SQL Saturday Eleventy-first for example. For SQLSat 285, we used the roadway theme from our most hated highway.  We often customized the logo to blend in with our themes (colors, wording, always keeping the key icon).

at some point, PASS marketing put the kibosh on customization, even threatening at one point to refuse our next event.  I get that there needs to be some consistency, but I also believe that events can be flexible in this as well.

• Well, not always. 🙂

the other side of the mug was the standard logo.

• I agree with allowing customization of logos, colors, taglines, etc.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I agree with allowing customization of logos, colors, taglines, etc.

I think you can have any logo, color, taglines you want provided that it doesn't shed any negativity on the owner(s) of the group that you're operating under.  I also believe that (for example), PASS had the right to control, approve, or disapprove of personalization if you wanted to use their name/logos for your event even if you disagree with their decision.

Otherwise, have the event without using any inference to PASS or SQLSaturday or whatever.  It's their ball park and they set the rules.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks for your input, and for promoting great discussion.

Sigh.  Frankly I think I'm done with the snark, and the negativity from community members.

I'm done, period.  I think I'm through with community activities.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply