Advice for the Unemployed

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Advice for the Unemployed

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• One little thing I would add to this list -- get your own blog or a web site and write, let the Employers see that you are interested into the stuff (technology) you wrote in your CV.

Great advices mr. Factor

-------------------------------------------------------------
    "It takes 15 minutes to learn the game and a lifetime to master"
    "Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."

• That is a great bit of advice, doc. One thing I'd add though, is that one must be careful never ever to criticize past employers, make tactless disparaging remarks, or describe one's inherent idleness or work-shy habits on the blog. Once a potential employer has seen the URL of your blog on the CV/resume, he/she will take it as an invitation to read it. It has got to give the same impression as your resume, CV and letter of application; and be consistent with it.

You may think that this is a glimpse of the flaming obvious, but I could regale you with true stories of occasions where candidates have put themselves at a disadvantage in interview because of their reckless blogging. (It would be wrong for a potential employer to reject an applicant before interview because of this, of course). This is one of the reasons I write under a 'pen-name'!

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• Network

Every job I've found I learned about because of who I know. (I flatter myself that it's not WHY I got the jobs!)

Some companies prefer not to use agencies, because the markup is considerable, and when a company is just about start looking, if someone in that company can recommend someone, they'll often jump at the chance to keep the overheads down.

If nothing else, it opens yet more avenues for finding job prospects.

Oh, and really, really make sure your CV is perfect. In a tough market, employers are lookig for any excuse to pare down the list of interviews they have to do. e.g. writing 'Summery' instead of 'Summary' - Neither a spell checker nor a grammar checker will spot that in a title. And I've thrown out CVs with that error .... if you can't get your CV right, I don't want you messing with my code!

• I have some involvement in redundancy councelling, and would add some other points...

Do not be surprised if you feel low or depressed. Most people find the disruption to their normal routine of going to work is unsettling.

Consider the process of finding paid work to be your current job. Work at it as hard as you would in a paid job. Do not expect your job search to be successful first time - remember that in a paid job manty things need a lot of re-work before they are successful.

Use different variations of your CV, and remember who has which version. Sending the same CV to all job sites and recruiters adds a risk that if something is not liked in your CV then it can affect everyone. Seriously consider having both a traditional cronological CV and a skills-based CV, as each type will appeal to a different audience. (Google can tell you more about these types of CV.) Make sure spelling and grammar are correct - employers cannot give every CV that lands on their desk full attention, and will often filter out people on very flimsy reasons such as poor spelling.

If you do find that looking for a job is getting to you, make sure you always have a reason to get up in the morning. You need to avoid getting into a rut where you start the day at 10AM or later - the late start in itself will tend to make you fel worse.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• I would add that you maintain your attendance, or start attending, social IT events, such as User Groups or shop-talk gatherings. It always amazes me how a casual conversation with someone can unearth opportunities.

• User groups can be very helpful; we had 3 jobs come through our SQL user group in the last month. Also check with temp agencies, even short term work is better than no work and you might learn a new skill.

Above all keep your spirits up and work at finding a new job just like it is a job.

• Treat your job hunting as a job in itself.

It's easy, when suddenly no-one else is around to push you, to let a day's breather turn into a week. Unfortunately, if you approach your job search in a lacksadaisical manner, you'll see the same quality of results as you would in any other project with that lack of commitment and effort.

Semper in excretia, suus solum profundum variat

• I've been on both sides of the hiring equation more than once. So here are my tips to the job seeker.

The first goal is to get a face-to-face interview. The screening process is designed to save employers time, a valuable resource these days. They often throw away resumes that are slightly off their specs to save time.

So your first goal is to get by the screening process and get an interview. Make up at least two electronic resumes, each tailored to a specific skill set. If you see an ad, make any modifications to the resumes to fit the skills they are looking for. Write a cover letter that covers each of the skills that they are looking for. Be careful, be sure you don't make typos or spelling errors. But get it in early.

Then get organized for the interview. If necessary, brush up on rarely used skills that they need. Bring a spare copy of your resume with you. It's surprising how often they get lost or damaged.

Study the company and try to be excited about it.

If all this sounds a little phony, it is. But it beats flipping burgers.

• Never act on the assumption that potential employers will be biased against you for some reason. I once interviewed a guy with no qualifications at all, just because I sensed something gutsy about his CV, and I felt lucky. He turned up for interview slightly scruffy. I took him on, based on his obvious broad technical knowledge. He was the best darned programmer I ever had, and he went on to have a highly successful career.

Best wishes,
    Phil Factor

• I'm going to repeat what a couple of other people said. Let people you know know you are looking, even if you don't know them well.

Attend tech events/user groups. It shows you are interested in improving your skills and many people who are at user groups/events are influencers in the industry or at their company. But don't wait until you are out of work to become involved in the community. If you are involved in the community (blog, user groups, events) while you are working you will have a network ready to help you find a job when the time comes.

When you do get an interview remember that it is a conversation and conversations involve both sides. Ask questions and be yourself. If you don't know something say so, and tell how you would find the answer.

• I would add taking classes to expand your knowledge base is a good idea. It shows potential employers your willingness to learn and to take on new initiatives.

• 3 critical things you can do that Phil did not mention...

Network, network, and then network some more.

There are thousands of people out there each vying for the same positions. Someone who comes recommended always gets a better priority in the job queue.

1 thing suggested by others, but as a hiring executive I am TOTALLY against...

Do NOT bother with a blog or web page. Here are 2 reasons I suggest you avoid this waste of time...

#1 - When I am filling a position, I am often going through 50-100 resumes (CV's) a day. I DONT have time to go out to the web and explore your blog or web page, and in the end, it doesnt really tell me anything anyway - except that you have a lot of spare time to be putting together a web page.

#2 - I have (in the past) had people ask me to visit their blogs/web pages. NO blog or web page can be built that will "fit" every job to which you are applying so more often than not, its a waste of time, and the fact that you are into fly-fishing or quilting in your spare time is really of no interest to me. As well, if your blog makes you sound like a know-it-all, forget it, I am likely not going to go any further with you as a candidate because I am looking for team players. Too many blogs I used to visit during jobs searches were written as though the person was "the" source for all knowledge - and thats an instant turn-off.

Your ultimate goal is to get a face to face interview. I do not hire resumes. I do not hire CV's, or blogs, or web pages.... I hire people and thus my ONLY goal through the first stages of reviewing your matierials is deciding whether or not I will be seeing you face to face. That is your primary goal - and then when you get that face to face, impress us!

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • As someone who went through a separation followed 3 weeks later by being laid off, I noticed it was rather important to be in touch with your mental stability. Being out of work was a huge shock, but fortunately I had the interview lined up for the job I have now the afternoon that I was laid off. I treated it like my job was finding a job until I had it, but I was able to call that search off rather quickly.

I found that I needed something to keep my regular work routine going so I finished the basement in my house and I worked on it with a contractor 9-5 every day.

I was also attending councelling to help keep my head on straight and ensure I'm doing the right things (post spousal abuse and then being out of work). I found it helped quite a bit. A couple of my friends are still laid off and I know one has depression because of it.

• Follow instructions given by a prospective employer carefully. If the ad says "No phone calls", then don't call.

If you are sending a CV out to someone specifically, learn something about the company. It will be one of the first questions they will ask in a preliminary phone interview.

Be honest (read: don't lie). If you've dabbled in HTML, then don't say you're an expert.

Have a generic CV that covers it all but pare it for specific jobs. If they are looking for a junior programmer, don't include the fact that you managed an intranet implementation. Let them find out after you're hired what a genius you are.

Companies looking for IT professionals will typically throw in language requirements ad nausea. Don't be put off by it. A lot of times they will include some as a "nice to have", not as a "must have".

Keep your employment dates straight. If you worked at a company from March to November, you worked there for eight months, not a year.

If there was a period where you worked for a lot of companies for short period of time, don't list them all. Just put in that you work at Contract/temp jobs for the period. Companies don't want to hire someone only to have them jump ship if something better comes along.

Don't grab the first thing that crosses your path. If it doesn't feel right somehow, move on. I remember applying for a dot-com and when I saw what they were actually selling, I knew that it wasn't going to work. It didn't.

If an interview isn't going well, end it and move on. After being grilled for some twenty minutes on my previous experience claims against the actual dates (see above) I asked the interviewer what ERP system they used and she replied; "It came in a box!". Needles to say, I never heard back from them.

Don't list references before you talk to them first. Get their permission and ask them how they would respond if a check is made. I've called up references and the so called reference had no idea of the person. It was nasty!

If you have long periods where you didn't work, make sure you have an air tight reason for it. "I was unemployed for the year" while maybe true, it doesn't go over well. Tell them that you were on a sabbatical or doing personal re-evaluation or something.

During the interview, don't feel you have to have the right answer at your finger tips. Take a moment to collect your thoughts on the answer.

Listen! If you don't understand the question or need clarification, then ask for it.

And always, be confident.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply