Advertising

• My problem is with performance. The peel ad takes too big a hit on processor time. So, regretably, I am forced to suspend my subscription.

• What else is the processor on your desktop doing that it can not handle the page peel?

I agree that as long as the ad is visable is takes some processor time but that is the same for any of the animated ads not just the peel.  Soon as you scroll down the web page and the ads are out of visable range CPU usage drops back to normal.  I know everyone is entitled their opinion but if you have a problem with the peel then you need to find another reason or include all animated ads in your statement.

• Interestingly, just now when I came back into this forum, the page peel was huge. It actually covered half my total screen size. Every other time it was just up in the corner. Yes, in general, it makes the page display a little slower while our system deals with it, but we are running on Terminal Services on a NT box and using IE6.

I suspect the problem is with IE6. It has been an issue since it was installed earlier this year. Perhaps this is also the reason others may have different experiences with page peel and other animations. Animations can slow down terminal servers and or consume too much bandwidth that is really needed elsewhere. Most of the time, it is not an issue if it is small.

• I typically run the following processes: Outlook, SQL Server Management Studio, Windows Explorer, and Firefox.

• To be more specific, I've noticed this problem when two or more Firefox tabs are open. I will try navigating the site using only a single tab.

• Nope, even single window, single tab navigation is bone-acheingly slow.

• Not mine, it is really fast.  I don't have that plugin for firefox

I agree the page does load slow with the ads but something has to pay for the site.  The best solution would be to provide an optional no ad fee based membership.  That way they would be getting the money needed for the site from ads or fees and it would be each persons choice

• The only problem I have with the page peel it that if I run the mouse over it, IE crashes. It's a little slower, but since I browse while working, that's not a big issue

Is the double underlining back?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Yes, double underling back - but not for too long. This is the second phase of our test to evaluate results/pain. Bear with us just a bit! I think the page peel is due to be turned off soon, we owed the advertiser a few days to make up for start up pain.

• The double underlining is even more of  a pain than the page-peel. Just moving your cursor to minimize, close or switch to another window has proven to be terrible experience. I have hit one doubble underline at least once every time I hit a discussion or forum !!! Please, please get rid of it as soon as possible.

I'm actually thinking of switching to a totally text based browser ... Google here I come ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply