Advertising

• I hate those page peel ads, I'd prefer a less intrusive way of advertising. 

• I agree with many of the other posters that have said that the page peel is MUCH less intrusive than the double underlined words.  As has been said many time it's adds for many things not related to the article.  I find it annoying because when the phone rings or whatnot I typically will try to use my mouse as a placeholder or select the ast text I read.  Every time I do this the double underlined adds pop up and I find it annoying. 

I'm very hopefull that the page peel can become a good revenue generator so the the double underlining doesn't have to come back.

Thanks.

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• For the most part I don't mind the page peal.  The one thing that I would like to see changed on it is the noise that it makes.  The less noise that my computer makes the better.

• Keep up the good works SQL Server Central.com. I read for hints every day and if you can get sponsorship to keep up with the expenses, so much the better for all of us. I would love to believe the idea of "Donations" for support would work, but I have doubts.

Thanks for all you do!

Sam Kerslake, DBA

Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue

Beaverton, Oregon

Reporting the news is what we expect from the media. Making it up, that's the government's job.

• I don't mind the page peel ad; it was actually sort of cool. But, I hate the double-underline thing. As a new user, it looked like a link to some useful information. Keep up the great work on the site!

Steve Eckhart

• I despise both the corner peeling ad (it seriously lags FireFox on this PC at least, although I will look into that NoFlash someone mentioned) and the double-underline things in the text (it is nigh impossible to read anything without at least several of them popping up and getting in the way). I can't believe that is getting you more advertising dollars considering the other 3 banner ads on the page right now are for exactly the same product.

Someone said donations do not work; I for one would sign up and pay for access to an excellent site like this one if it meant protection from every advertisement other than the standard not-in-my-way-when-I'm-reading banner ads. I have done as such before.

-- Stephen Cook

• Page Peel? I thought my monitor was coming unglued!

Actually, I just ignored it like most ads. It does appear to slow down the page load a small amount but not too much to prevent my use of the site.

On the subject of paid access verses ad sponsored free Websites, maybe you could do like some sites and offer the user both options. Paid has no ads and is faster to load for the end user and may contain extra material. If you offered that, maybe you could be different and offer the same material to both but add a few more ads to cover your costs.

When the free site becomes like Tech Republic is becoming, then it will be time to go elsewhere or pay up. There are free Websites created everyday. Some are not too good, but they are free.

You’re on the right track.

• The peel away ad still has some bugs to be worked out.  When I hovered over it I saw it, it looked cool, but when I moved my mouse away from it all the Flash ads on the page, including the peel away ad, went away.  Since I only lost the ads on the page I'm not complaining.   But still, something to look at.

• We're still working on it and we've gone through a few revs, including a new one today, to try and make it less of a load on your systems.

Thanks for all the feedback and we hope we can get to some compromise that works for everyone.

• The only problem I have with the page peel is that from time to time it throws a flash error and crashes IE. Some days it takes 3 or 4 attempts to get to the forums page

I probably have a bad installation of flash, but I can't fix it or install another browser (corporate machine)

Still is much, much better than the underlined words.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • The comments about both the noise and the visual distraction if you leave the browser open are interesting. We'll look into both of those.

I'm with you on the double underline. It didnt bother me much at first, but didnt take long to realize the ads were rarely relevant in context of the article (though were ok within the site).

We might explore the optional charge for no ads.

• Page peel - unobtrusive, not at all annoying .. if the income from the ads keeps this site up and running --continue with the ads. 

I hope the advertisers are paying you enough to meet and exceed your expenses.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• I don't have any problem with the page-peel ad; actually, I think it's kind of neat. I am running FireFox and it does not seem to lag for me, even on dial-up. The only advertising I would object to would be the underline/inline advertising where stuff pops up when you hover over specific text in an article. This is hands-down the best SQL Server community so there isn't much that would keep me from coming back.

[font="Tahoma"]Bryant E. Byrd, BSSE MCDBA MCAD[/font]
    Business Intelligence Administrator
    MSBI Administration Blog

• Steve,

I agree with most of these people. The ads enable you to run this excellent site without charging us membership fees, so keep on advertising. The page peel ones are not a problem for me.

Renato Buda

• I'll put in my .02 and that's about all it worth

The only ads that bother me are the animated ones (Lightspeed as of late).  The page peel is fine with me and kind of cool.  The only reason I don't like the animated ads is because they are really destracting when trying to read the page (so much so I've started spending less time reading).  If nothing else it would be great if animated ads would be restricted to the top of the page so that they could be scrolled out of sight.

Thanks for the great resource and keep up the good work.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply