adventure works sample database from microsoft

• I want to practice sql, I know MS has a same database. My questions are..

1. Do I need to install MS SQL server prior? (if so, is there a free version?)

2. I also need to download MS SQL studio as the client correct? (if so, is it free and what version?)

From what I understand I need 3 things..

sql server

sql studio

sample database from microsoft.

• Install a version of SQL Server. SSMS should be included. You can download the databases from here[/url]

Then you just move the databases to the DATA folder and then attach them.

• Thank you for the link, I was on that site but confused on what to get. I see all these versions. Can you please point out what I exactly need?

thanks

edit *** Do I install sql server express?

• download SQL Express With Advanced Services. it's free.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/sql-server-editions/sql-server-express.aspx

that is the most complete version, and includes SQL Server Management Studio and more;

the "normal" express download does not include any tools, so it's assuming you already have them installed.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• If you're serious about learning SQL Server, stop farting around with the free stuff and by the Developer's Edition for about $60USD. People bitch about the price but that's just a bit more than a good book on the subject and some people will spend more than that for a dinner and a couple of drinks on a Friday night.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• +1 Jeff , Developer over Express any day , infact you just used one of the the most common examples i give when people ask about learning sql

Jayanth Kurup[/url]

• Jeff Moden (8/19/2015)

If you're serious about learning SQL Server, stop farting around with the free stuff and by the Developer's Edition for about $60USD. People bitch about the price but that's just a bit more than a good book on the subject and some people will spend more than that for a dinner and a couple of drinks on a Friday night.

whats the difference between the two? I wont mind spending $60. Im looking to do basic stuff, nothing high intense.

• the biggest difference for me is that Developer comes with the SQL Agent, and thus the ability to create jobs. jobs are an important part of the DBA's toolkit.

Its important to know that Express is internally limited to a single gig of ram and single processor, no matter what machine it's hosted on.

after that, it's the fact that Developer has all the features of Enterprise, but is not licensed to do production, so you can test things you cannot do in express High Availability, Database Snapshots, Replication,Change Data Capture, and so many other things you really should dabble in to make yourself familiar with them.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• thanks for that info, i should be fine with express because i only want it to learn queries. I wont be doing database replications etc... just simple queries and joins to learn them better. nothing heavy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply