A Work Conference

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Work Conference

• when they require employees to be in the office. That's it. Four times a year.

They are going all in on work from home, allowing employees to be in any place that Atlassian has a legal presence for work. 

On the UK side of the puddle, this has also become the norm.  My company now recruits people who are not expected to work in the office, even when the lockdowns finish.  Two problem-ettes that I can see to this (partly due to having done more home-working, back in the day, with small children):

• communication is not as effective.  This is not an issue that raises it head if (like my hubby) you've been in the same team for years, but if you have to cross-train or on-board, then all the quick moments to ask 'silly' questions when your colleague comes back from the kitchen/water cooler are lost, and it really does slow things down.  Especially if you have a 'learning difference'.
    • if you can work from anywhere... then why should the company pay the going rate for a 'westerner'.  Lots of places in the world where you can get cheaper people.  Seriously, it's the thin edge of the wedge.

And my employer... four times a year it looks like (but still under discussion).

• I know this isn't the topic you wanted to talk about, so please forgive me for bringing this up. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of a "work conference". I don't quite understand what that is.

On topic, I love the idea of what Atlassian is doing.

Rod

• We are having a work conference this week at Redgate. In previous years, we rented a space for a few days and literally ran a conference. Booths were from different groups, talks were from employees, all focused on different aspects of our work or business.

Last year, and this one, we are spending part of a full week online. Since we can't get together, we have about a  half day each day of sessions that help us grow closer as employees, develop skills, or better understand how our business works.

• If you read references to "Level Up", that's our Redgate conference.  It was internally described as: Level Up is Redgate’s way of celebrating learning and development, helping us all to develop our skills and careers.

The call for internal speakers noted:

What have you learnt or succeeded with over the past year? What do you, your team, or the people near you do that you wish was wider used within Redgate? How have you tackled problems in novel, exciting ways?

Those are exactly the ideas we’d like people to submit as possible sessions for Level Up Week 2021.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

We are having a work conference this week at Redgate. In previous years, we rented a space for a few days and literally ran a conference. Booths were from different groups, talks were from employees, all focused on different aspects of our work or business.

Last year, and this one, we are spending part of a full week online. Since we can't get together, we have about a  half day each day of sessions that help us grow closer as employees, develop skills, or better understand how our business works.

Thank you, Steve. Sorry to have been so obtuse, but I just wasn't getting it. Sounds like a cool idea, a "work conference". Or maybe I'd call it a "company conference", just so that it would be clearer in my own mind what it is. Oh well, not everyone thinks the way I think, so "work conference" is better.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• "..Getting everyone in a region together a few times a year is a really interesting idea. It will feel like a SQL Saturday or other event when you know everyone will show up. I can see this generating some excitement. Especially if those days are different from normal workdays.."

If it's a once per year regional get together, then they might better make it span multiple days, sort of like a PASS conference. There could be a slate of presentations by employees to showcase their projects, lunch & learns, and after hour parties. Larger corporations could even reserve an entire hotel with a ballroom and maybe even have a celebrity host the thing.

But when an employer announces they are going full remote - at this point I don't necessarily think it should be considered carved in stone. I'd suggest folks wait a year or so to see how the policy pans out before making a big life change like purchasing a home in another state - based on the assumption they can always work remote going forward. Because, at the end of the day, an employer will rewrite policy however it suits them in terms of practicality, productivity, and financially.

Consider that the shift by many employers to work from home will actually drive down rental costs for office space. Many employers may see that as an opportunity - notwithstanding the preference of their employees.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• good advice, Eric. Certainly we've seen MS, Google, etc. make changes.  I dislike some of these companies making a far reaching decision quickly without really knowing the effects.

At Redgate, we've set medium goals to help people plan, have guidance, and some limits. We agreed on a policy for 2021, but not beyond that. We are running experiments and trying to learn what works for different types of employees in the company.

Certainly things might change and we are trying to work with them to find the best solution for the org and people.

• Personally, I like this kind of conference format. Because it gives you the opportunity to learn more necessary information and find something new for yourself.

• Communication can indeed be a challenge, especially for new team members or those who need extra support. Regarding your concern about the potential for outsourcing to cheaper labor markets, I think it's a valid concern. But I also believe that companies will recognize the value of having a strong and diverse team, regardless of their location or cost. As for the conference you mentioned, have you considered reaching out to event organisers to see how they're adapting to remote work and virtual events? I'm new to this forum myself, but I'm sure there are many resources and discussions here that can provide valuable insights.

• PiperKerman wrote:

Regarding your concern about the potential for outsourcing to cheaper labor markets, I think it's a valid concern.

(ppts)

Please identify where in the article or this conversation where that concern was raised.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply