A Good Benefit?

• Four year university degrees will become more affordable when the job market collectively decides that it's no longer essential.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• We get 10 paid holidays and a little over 4 weeks of PTO.  But the PTO includes your sick time for the year, no banking that, you can carry over up to a week.  Most companies I've seen will pay out your 'vacation' days when you leave, but none payout your sick time.  Where I used to work I had around 40 days of banked sick time.  When they let me go I got NONE of that time.  If you have a separate bucket of sick and vacation then you should/would use up the sick time first for any extended time off needed due to illness or surgery. IMHO

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• I don't know about other folks but, because of the nature of my job, I get very little time to take off.  I think companies should be required to pay cash for vacation time not taken off no matter what.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I think the idea is pretty cool, I don't see why it should be only available to people with student loans though.  If i'm understanding it right this is basically just like a little extra bonus if you choose to work on PTO days and I definitely know people who only use all their PTO days because of use it or lose it policies(sometimes myself)

• call.copse - Monday, February 25, 2019 2:37 AM

29 days here and 3 days buy or sellable - not for loans, just money to use at will. It's decent even in the UK. That certainly doesn't include sick days (we can take up to 6 months if needed at full pay, though I've rarely had more than 2 days in any year), and I would never consider not taking any portion thereof. I don't get that at all I have to say.

I used to get a lot of time at my previous job. At my current job, time off is very small (2 weeks) and grows very slowly over time. One of my colleagues has been here for 15 years. It was only until his 15th year that he was finally able to get 3 weeks off.

Rod

• Personally, I think you ought to be able to sell some time back, but they ought to have to give you, or make you take, a percentage of time off. We do really need the break away from work.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, February 25, 2019 9:16 AM

Personally, I think you ought to be able to sell some time back, but they ought to have to give you, or make you take, a percentage of time off. We do really need the break away from work.

My current employer moved away from the sellback in favor of making sure you actually take the time.   The company here has taken a number of steps to ensure people take time.  We're on a typical PTO + company holiday with 10 days max rollover each year, however:
     - our managers get dinged if their subordinates are losing a lot of time to the cutoff, so mgrs. will "encourage" you to take time
     - there are also controls in place so that there's no "review pressure" to always be working and never taking any time.
     - what time is accrued is in fact yours, so if I were to leave they would pay the balance of what I've accrued but not taken.

So they really have been going pretty far in making sure that you really don't have a good reason to NOT take the time you are given, and no one gives you hell when you actually do take the time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• That's what we do. They really encourage you to take holiday and while you can sell xx back, you can't carry more than xx. The push is to take time and to ensure managers don't pressure people to skip.

In fact, I have a sabbatical due and have been getting pressure to schedule it.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply