A Few Good DBAs

• I can't believe he ripped me off. I posted this on SQLTeam 3 and a half years ago; it's the reason for my forum title there, "Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)" .

Of course, my version was better.

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=46783

You can see my other DBA movie parodies here:

Evil DBA (The history of my life is a parody of Dr. Evil in Austin Powers, International man of Mystery where he attends group therapy with his son. Of course that movie is a parody of James Bond movies.)

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58327

The Silence of the DBAs (Parody of Silence of the Lambs)

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=63071

Links edited to credit original works.

• it's a great day !

sunny, not a cloud in the sky, 70, slight southerly breeze ...

just attempting irony is all ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• We laugh because it's funny and also because it is true.

• Humorous? Maybe. Looking at this from the perspective of the men and women in uniform who actually guard the wall for us 24/7/365, not so much.

:sick:

Laugh if ye want, but it sounds more like there are a bunch of DBAs out there with overinflated senses of self-importance.

Without management, developers, users and all the others ye malign and impugn, yer data is WORTHLESS... they gave YE the data to protect. Without them, ye have no purpose.

πŸ˜›

• David,

Yer too late. Talk Like A Pirate Day[/url] was September 19th. Arrr!

--Andrew

• Why does this remind me of the Harrison Ford movie Clear and Present Danger? I can imagine a CIO identifying a Clear and Present Danger to a vital part of the IT infrastructure and telling the Director of IT in a 'plausibly deniable' way... to go take care of it.

Next thing you know, Blackhawk helicopters are being loaded up and taking off in the dead of night, the pilots using their night vision goggles, heads-up displays, and GPS systems... bearing down on a den of unsuspecting hackers... releasing their state-of-the-art geek-seeking missiles which direct themselves with silent and deadly precision.... destroying the hacker haven just seconds before an ENTER key is pressed and the worldwide worm released which would have rendered systems everywhere useless...

If only... 😎

• Of all the editorials I have read this is the funniest while also being very meaningful! Good work Shaun!

• Bob Abernethy (10/29/2008)

.... destroying the hacker haven just seconds before an ENTER key is pressed and the worldwide worm released which would have rendered systems everywhere useless...

WWW. The World Wide Worm!!! πŸ˜€ Ah ... Ahh ... HA HA HA

Ouch, darn it. Falling out of a chair at my age hurts. What would Tim Berners-Lee say?

ATBCharles Kincaid

• Keller (10/29/2008)

Yer too late. Talk Like A Pirate Day[/url] was September 19th. Arrr!

Nah, Pilgrim. Somebody on another thread here accused me of being a Puritan. (Imagine me: a Muslim guy in black outfit and big white collared costume. Too funny.) Put me in the mood to talk like the King James Version and (for some inexplicable reason) to recite "Charge of the Light Brigade". We'll always miss you, Alfred.

😎

• Michael Valentine Jones (10/29/2008)

I can't believe he ripped me off. I posted this on SQLTeam 3 and a half years ago; it's the reason for my forum title there, "Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)" .

We forgot to tell you that you're one of the million monkeys on the Internet. Sorry.

Good news! The experiment is over. The hypothesis was disproved. The webbernets and all its denizens have NOT produced anything better than Shakespeare. Oh, well. Too bad, since YouTube and Blogger went all out there at the end...

You're free to go.

πŸ˜€

• David Reed (10/29/2008)

Michael Valentine Jones (10/29/2008)

I can't believe he ripped me off. I posted this on SQLTeam 3 and a half years ago; it's the reason for my forum title there, "Yak DBA Kernel (pronounced Colonel)" .

We forgot to tell you that you're one of the million monkeys on the Internet. Sorry.

Good news! The experiment is over. The hypothesis was disproved. The webbernets and all its denizens have NOT produced anything better than Shakespeare. Oh, well. Too bad, since YouTube and Blogger went all out there at the end...

You're free to go.

πŸ˜€

Oh well, it’s good to see that the news hasn’t dampened your sense of self importance.

• David Reed (10/29/2008)

Humorous? Maybe. Looking at this from the perspective of the men and women in uniform who actually guard the wall for us 24/7/365, not so much.

:sick:

Laugh if ye want, but it sounds more like there are a bunch of DBAs out there with overinflated senses of self-importance.

Without management, developers, users and all the others ye malign and impugn, yer data is WORTHLESS... they gave YE the data to protect. Without them, ye have no purpose.

πŸ˜›

Have served my country in the USAF, I can actually see the humor.

Also, I have been a developer (still do, small shop) as well as a dba (still do, same small shop). I don't have an overinflated sense of self-importance, but if I don't try to protect the users data they certainly won't.

• Guess I'm better as "Shaq Nicholson"

• The argument was awesome.... True indeed...

managers do never understand what we go through in the root level...

Cheers mate ... u did a great job πŸ˜€

• Thanks, dude. I was going to watch that one tonight.

Sorry dude, but I thought South Africa was the country that watched Survivor last.

DBA's, I have to say this. You are sick! Man, you are not millitarists, you are only DBA's! and as someone else said, without managers and developers you are actually nothing. What was first, the developer or the DBA. The developer of course. We developed the databases that you are so vehemtly guarding. We, the developers, also have integrity and we also want our systems to perform well so, behave or we might cut you out of the process.:D:D:D:D:D:w00t::w00t::w00t::hehe::hehe:

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply