A Computer on Wheels

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Computer on Wheels

• To be honest, I'd love to go back to the good ol' days where the closest thing to a computer in a car was intermittent wipers and cruise control.  It might also drive the price down to something reasonable.  Most cars now have a price tag on them more than my first mortgage.  It's just stupid how expensive they've become.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I go to a few classic car shows. I've noticed that the age at which a car becomes considered by someone to be classic isn't moving forward.

I did ask why that might be and the majority of opinion was on the repairability of cars that depend on elevtronics. The lack thereof. When all it takes to repair a car is a few handful of tools and a scrapyard those cars last a long time.

I think we need to look closely at vehicle electronic systems and design them for greater and simpler interchangeability. If we do that then the next step for a thriving 2nd hand car market is making testability of components really simple. Plug in to the standardized test socket and if you get a green light it's good

• Steve, I loved that video you shared of the guy describing the 5 lives he loves about his Tesla, which didn't exist when he purchased it. (Although I get really tired of the obnoxious music he streamed in the background.) Makes me want to work for Tesla.

Rod

• That "dog mode" feature is interesting, but even then I don't think it will necessarily prevent your vehicle from attracting unnecessary attention. I have tethered my dog to a shaded patio table outside a Whole Food grocery store - and then returned 10 minutes later - only to find a group of concerned citizens wondering if it had been abandoned. Apparently there are plenty of folks who never heard of Occam's razor.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell wrote:

That "dog mode" feature is interesting, but even then I don't think it will necessarily prevent your vehicle from attracting unnecessary attention. I have tethered my dog to a shaded patio table outside a Whole Food grocery store - and then returned 10 minutes later - only to find a group of concerned citizens wondering if it had been abandoned. Apparently there are plenty of folks who never heard of Occam's razor.

Actually, they did.  They just came to one of the other conclusions possible.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• I like the Dog Mode having a big sign on the display and the temp setting. We'd certainly use that with our pups.

I'm torn with a lot of the electronic stuff, but Jay Leno talks about his 3 year time with one. He said it's been so simple, he just replaces tires and nothing else. As someone replacing oil in 5 vehicles this spring, that sounds nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH79SuivdAQ

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I like the Dog Mode having a big sign on the display and the temp setting. We'd certainly use that with our pups.

I'm torn with a lot of the electronic stuff, but Jay Leno talks about his 3 year time with one. He said it's been so simple, he just replaces tires and nothing else. As someone replacing oil in 5 vehicles this spring, that sounds nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH79SuivdAQ

Save your pennies... you need one of these... or at least a ride in one. 😀

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rimac-nevera-electric-hypercar-sets-113757171.html

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Cars are ever evolving.  To me about 2008 was the best of the best for automobiles, right before very heavy computerized and electronized everything became.  To me the keyless and go gives nothing to the consumer except an ever round of replacing batteries in the FOB throwing millions of these batteries in the landfill and taking a chance that the battery dies and you get stranded somewhere... or accidentally drop the FOB and you are SOL.  Gimme a metal key and a clicker FOB that does the same thing.  If the battery dies in it you still have a physical key.  Having a screen to control the radio, HVAC and all of that I don't like as electronics eventually go bad, and that screen can be upwards of $3,000 to replace I am told.  Anymore most of these electronics are vehicle model specific for the electronic parts you don't see and can change from year to year.  Long term the problem with that is replacement parts.  What aftermarket manufacture is going to stock all of these knowing that so few vehicles were made that they can sell enough to break even?   Classic car parts sometimes could be interchangeable from 2-10 years depending on the part and sometimes across many models.

• I think I fall somewhere between Glenn Berry and Jeff Moden. On the one hand, I kinda miss the simplicity of the Plymouth Valiant I had as a kid. It had almost enough open space to stand in the engine compartment and even a mechanically challenged guy like me could work on it. On the other hand, I really love the cool features that are available in the Teslas.

• I'm definitely closer to Glenn, and I'm actually a bit excited. I ordered a Tesla recently, and I'm looking forward to the car.

I haven't used a key to get in a car in a long time, and I think remotes are fantastic. I've gotten third party fobs for many cars that worked great. For the newer cars that have encryption, it's annoying, but in a decade of those cars, I haven't had to do anything other than rarely changing a battery, which is easy.

I've changed oil in 4 engines this spring and have 5 more to go. The idea of getting away from that is interesting. I don't know that I'm ready for an electric UTV or lawnmower now, but removing a few of the chores would be nice.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

I've changed oil in 4 engines this spring and have 5 more to go. The idea of getting away from that is interesting. I don't know that I'm ready for an electric UTV or lawnmower now, but removing a few of the chores would be nice.

I opted for an electric Ryobi lawnmower this year. So far, it's been great. I love the reduced volume and pushbutton start, and it's great to not have to ensure the gas can is supplied (not to mention oil concerns).

Trying to figure out the world of SQL as marketing consultant for SQL Solutions Group https://sqlsolutionsgroup.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply