A Break from Databases

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item A Break from Databases

• How about "Diary of a Wimpy Kid - Rodrick Rules".

• I recommend "The Guard". It features excellent acting from Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle, with Gleeson as an Irish cop and Cheadle as a visiting FBI Agent. Plenty of rolling around laughing moments, but also thriller elements as the guard tries to deal with international drug dealers.

Definitely my favourite film of last year.

• Apparently I'm viewing too many movies/year, as I can't pick just one:

Intouchables - despite a tragic background, a hilarious clash of two different social worlds, where both protagonists learn from each other. Based on a true story, and made me leave the theater with a smile.

Midnight in Paris - On the surface it may tell about "the good ol' time", but it's a beautiful credo to live and love in the here and now.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - While not as intriguing as the first movie in this row, the special effects are superb. And Noomi Rapace (known as Lisbeth Salander from the Swedish Millenium Trilogy films) as Roma fortune teller is a must see.

Anonymous - excellently narrated theory on who might actually have written all those famous plays attributed to one William Shakespeare.

That's my 2 cents in this week's poll.

Have a great weekend,

Michael

• I am not sure if you watch Hindi movies. But last year there were some good ones from Bollywood. Just sharing with you incase you are interested.

Delhi Belly-good comedy movie

Shor in the City-a comedy based in Mumbai

Ragini MMS- horror movie.

Both 'Shor in the City' and 'Ragini MMS' are low-budget ones and would have hardly cost $1 million to film but have good storylines.

M&M

• Saw "The Descendents" some days ago! An absorbing story...

• Le Carre's Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

Atmospheric 70's cold war thriller. Not a wasted word of dialogue and superb acting.

Chronicle

A very good teen morality tale: with great power comes great responsibility. (Not sure the kids got that, but I enjoyed it.)

• No first run movies for me this last year. The economics/enjoyment of seeing a movie outside the house don't make sense. Plus the politics and motivation of the industry are an anathema to me as someone in the software industry.

• Tower Heist is cool,

Real Steel too

• For the past several years, I find myself walking up the theatre, reviewing the movie lineup, and then most of the time I'll just walk away disinterested. The same goes for movies On-Demand and NetFlix. I'm mostly into TV series now.

I did watch "The Company Men" and enjoyed it.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• I'm gonna get flamed for this, but "The Smurfs" was better than it had any right to be. It wasn't great, but it wasn't awful. I'm not going to outright recommend it, but if you have to see it, keep an open mind and you might enjoy yourself.

(This especially holds true if you grew up with the original Smurfs comics and cartoon.)

• I have seen 3 movies nominated for an Oscar -- Moneyball, Midnight in Paris and The Help. I would recommend seeing all 3 of them, but I just like movies! 🙂

• I really liked "Take Shelter", about a guy who is building out his underground shelter to save his family because he thinks a terrible storm is coming. He seems to be the only one who is seeing the warning signs, though.

I second someone else's recommendation of "Anonymous", and I would recommend "The Artist", a silent movie about the rise and fall of a silent movie star. Great acting, and a different type of film, well done.

• If I could see any movie in a theater, it would be "Ball of Fire" with Stanwyck, Cooper, and Gene Krupa. Being a drummer myself, this is heaven! 🙂

• I would recommend Courageous. I also saw Moneyball with my wife and enjoyed it, although the book was better.

Steve Eckhart

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply