A Break from Data

• My family is probably going do the fantasy route this weekend. Last week Best Buy had the Extended 15 disc blue ray box set of the Lord of the Rings half price. So we'll be doing a LOTR marathon.

But I do have to give props to The Avengers best movie I've seen in a while.

Cheers!

• I've seen The Avengers twice, and absolutely loved it! It was the most movie experience I've had in years.

I'm looking forward to MIB3. I'm really looking forward to The Dark Knight Rises, as I'm a huge fan of Christopher Nolan.

I did see John Carter, and liked it, but think it will sink into obscurity.

The Hunger Games was good, and had interesting themes in it, but I've heard that the rest of the series gets progressively dark in nature, so I probably won't see the sequels.

The best, so far, is The Avengers. Man, what a great movie!

Rod

• For me it's a long weekend underneath the Land Rovers making sure they're ready for next weekend's International Rally where I'll be competing in 2 of the 3 main events.

Plus our extra day off next week celebrating Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II (I of Scotland)'s Diamond Jubilee.

• Mick Moses (5/25/2012)

For me it's a long weekend underneath the Land Rovers making sure they're ready for next weekend's International Rally where I'll be competing in 2 of the 3 main events.....

Now that sounds like a good weekend. Forget the movies.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• Movies are too expensive. I would stay in and watch YouTube. Or play games.

Or do both. :hehe:

Wil Wheaton has created a series called TableTop on a youtube channel where he reviews his fave table top games. I bought Small World because of it. What a fantastic game!

I don't know how old your kids are, but this is a great way to check out some games before you buy them. I find it so much more fun to interact with people than to passively watch a glowing screen. AND you can play games outside in the daytime without glare issues. 😎

• I watched "The Thirteenth Floor" on Netflix really enjoyed it, though it is a couple years old. I'm not usually into Sci-FI movies but this was more Computer-Techi than Sci-Fi. There haven't been many sci-fi movies worth watching lately, but that's just MHO.

On another note, I'd like to give a crisp military salute to all my fellow veterans and those currently active. Enjoy a safe weekend but spend a minute of reflection for those who served and sacrificed everything for a cause whether you agreed with it or not.

The probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival.

• Megistal (5/25/2012)

Dune

To my eyes it's amongst the best sci-fi movies ever.

It might be a bit more than past years thought 😉

That's a very old one, but yeah good one. Thou got to love the books, especially the first one.

chrisn-585491 (5/25/2012)

I find that SciFi Movies are very pale shadows of quality SciFi novels. Add the additional costs and hassles of going to an actual movie, we have other plans for our time and money. For sure entertainment value, at least half a day will be spent playing Skyrim on the big telly. Also a morning will be spent with shotguns at the range.

Did that last weekend, all thou it was elk-rifle and a22m rifle and bow. Got to love it.

We took a trip, me and three friends, 350 kilometers to get to a house from ~1800 and spent the weekend. It was the first real trip with my 2010 Mustang I just bought, got to love it. One can not purchase the u.s. pony car's in Sweden, they're all imported. It's really strange because they are cars with attitude!

• IceDread (5/25/2012)

The singular best sci fi movie I have seen as of late is Troll Hunter. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740707/

+1 for Troll Hunter! I saw it on Netflix a few months ago thought it was really imaginative.

I'd like to see The Avengers, but my son wants to see Capt. America first (missed it in theatres last summer), so it might not be in the cards this weekend.

Greg

• At this point I've seen Avengers three times and yet I still wouldn't object to seeing it again. I'm a comic book fan from a while back, but nothing recent.

As for other movies I'd suggest:

Cabin in the Woods - a fun twist on the horror movie genre, without moving into the "torture p*rn" style of movie.

MIB3 - looks like fun, although the wife and I are heading out of town after work today, we'll probably go see it Monday

Battleship - Go into it expecting lots of things going boom, some *great* shots on and in various warships (fun for me after taking a tour that took me down into the belly of the ship, behind the ropes with the "Authorized Personnel only" signs)

John Carter - Never read the books, but really enjoyed the movie, and will be picking it up on Blu-Ray when it comes out

Prometheus - I'm liking the looks of this...

For those with a long weekend, enjoy it, for those with a normal weekend, enjoy it, for those who have to work this weekend, my condolences...

:hehe:

Jason

• I am surprised that no one (yet) mentioned Inception.

"Dreams feel real while we're in them. It's only when we wake up that we realize something was actually strange."

Have a great weekend, Steve and all.

• If you enjoyed The Avengers, be sure to rent Joss Whedon's short-lived Firefly TV series (it failed because of Fox, not the quality of the show), and follow it up with his film Serenity, which (mostly) wrapped up the outstanding plot lines. A great show with great characters. Basically a western in outer space, with a lot of colorful language in Mandarin.

I would also recommend The Walking Dead to Battlestar Galactica fans. Seemingly very different shows, but Walking Dead explores a lot of the same themes, just from a different perspective. I don't normally watch "horror" stories, but this is very character-driven, and it messes with its audience in ways Galactica never did.

• I enjoyed John Carter. Never read the books but it was great to watch.

I really enjoyed Cowboys & Aliens. I don't know if it was in 2011 but anyway, it's a good action sci-fi movie with a western background. NOT a spaghetti western with aliens in it. It's an invasion movie with cowboys in it btw.

On the TV Series side, I watched most of the first season of Grimm. Most of it is just ok but some of the episodes are pretty fun to watch. I agree that it's not sci-fi though, it's more on the fantastic side of things.

• Revenant (5/25/2012)

I am surprised that no one (yet) mentioned Inception.

I would have mentionned it. It's a great movie. But it was my understanding that the thread was supposed to be about sci-fi from last year only.

• How about taking time to remember the men and women who have sacrificed their lives for the country we live in and the freedoms we enjoy? I think Memorial Day is actually about them and less about new movies and cookouts. Have you ever taken your kids to a VA Hospital on Memorial Day for the programs offered to remember the fallen and wounded?

Just some thoughts about how to spend an hour or two on Memorial Day from a U.S. citizen and Navy veteran.

• mlbakerak (5/25/2012)

How about taking time to remember the men and women who have sacrificed their lives for the country we live in and the freedoms we enjoy? I think Memorial Day is actually about them and less about new movies and cookouts. Have you ever taken your kids to a VA Hospital on Memorial Day for the programs offered to remember the fallen and wounded?

Just some thoughts about how to spend an hour or two on Memorial Day from a U.S. citizen and Navy veteran.

We go to a Memorial Day service every year, in Scout uniforms and pay tribute. I'm sure there are others that do similar things.

Talking about other things to do over the weekend doesn't preclude recognizing our soldiers.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply