70-461

• Good Evening (at least where I am),

I have a specific question about Certification Exam 70-461. I had studied the MS 70-461 Self Study book religiously - and did very well on the provided self test.

Unfortunately I found the actual Certification Exam to not be much at all like the Self Test from the MS Book! This very much surprised me as I bought Microsoft's book - and figured that the provided self test would be somewhat like the real thing. Not at all though.

The one type of question that I really had issues with were "Build List". I am *not* looking for specific answers here - but I *am* looking for what folks recall in regards to what type of questions were asked in this "Build List" format (it is the one where you have to slid code snippets from a list, and put them in the proper order).

There was one specific question that threw me for a loop - and unfortunately I cannot recall much about it (stress does that to you 😉 ).

Hopefully just asking what type of questions are asked using the "Build List" format is not a violation at all in regards to Microsoft's policies. I have no desire to use "brain dumps", etc. - just need a little help with what type of question was asked in this format.

Any help here at all is *very* much appreciated.

Thank you.

Scott

Tucson, AZ

• Answering here rather than privately, because then more people can benefit...

You're not going to find a list of what material uses what question types. It's not even consistent, that can and will change as MS adds new questions and new question types to their exams. Plus any discussion of exam contents is in violation of the NDA. Best thing is to know the material well.

With the 'build up an answer' type. When you get those, ignore the answers. Take the scratch paper/board that the exam centre provided and write out a solution to the question. Once you've written out a piece of code that will do what is asked, then look at the snippets given and arrange them to match what you've already got.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (3/30/2013)

Answering here rather than privately, because then more people can benefit...

You're not going to find a list of what material uses what question types. It's not even consistent, that can and will change as MS adds new questions and new question types to their exams. Plus any discussion of exam contents is in violation of the NDA. Best thing is to know the material well.

With the 'build up an answer' type. When you get those, ignore the answers. Take the scratch paper/board that the exam centre provided and write out a solution to the question. Once you've written out a piece of code that will do what is asked, then look at the snippets given and arrange them to match what you've already got.

I usually take another approach. I study the possible answers and immediately throw away all the ones that are garbage (you can normally spot a few).

With less possible answers, it's easier to construct the correct order.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Hi

For those avoiding brain dumps (I hope everyone! 😉 and looking for practice tests which can help you get used to style of Microsoft Exams so you can prepare better I have very good news.

We have decided to create a test has similar style to Microsoft questions. The differences are:

1) It has similar style questions to Microsoft + those that Microsoft doesn't have yet (or have on different exams)

2) Similar level but slightly more difficult as we provide answer in a way that guessing is minimized so normally you will get 10-20% less comparing to exam where educated guesses are possible.

3) We support answers with our tutorials + videos (+ Microsoft links)... this feature is coming soon.

Unfortunately test is paid but affordable... cheaper than Measure up (30£ per 3 full tests with 150 questions) and you can buy "weak points" or min-test from 2£ per 10 questions.

I believe there is demand for this kind of tests (those avoiding brain dumps who just want some practice)

So far we just have 1 test with 10 questions but over the next 2-3 weeks we will have 3 full tests (150 questions)... here is the link 70-461 Exam Practice Test

Hope that helps

Take care

Emil

• I used "Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 by Itzik Ben-gan; Dejan Sarka; Ron Talmage". It's pretty compreshensive, has exercises, a cd with practice tests and exam simulation etc. I would say the test was significantly more difficult than the practice tests.

Of coure T-SQL is a very broad language so each presentation of the test could be completely different. In my case, there were plenty of questions about xml. You should know xml raw vs auto vs path very well. Seems like MS is very proud of this functionality and push it in testing. Lot's of questions on Views with Schemabinding for some reason. Plenty of questions about Ranking...rank vs dense rank vs row_number. Know how to write these for sure. Merge into also made an appearance or two on the test. There are 14 new functions in 2012 so I would definitely become familiar with all of them.

Again, I was surprised how heavily xml, views with schemabinding and rank/row_number functions were represented in the test, but your experience could be nothing like mine so get a good handle on every concept you can before taking it.

A good thing about using a training kit like the one I listed above is that by taking the self tests you can see where you weak and go explore other resources to build your knowledge.

Don't be nervous, just do your best and everything will be OK.

• KatieAndEmil (3/31/2013)

Hi

For those avoiding brain dumps (I hope everyone! 😉 and looking for practice tests which can help you get used to style of Microsoft Exams so you can prepare better I have very good news.

We have decided to create a test has similar style to Microsoft questions. The differences are:

1) It has similar style questions to Microsoft + those that Microsoft doesn't have yet (or have on different exams)

2) Similar level but slightly more difficult as we provide answer in a way that guessing is minimized so normally you will get 10-20% less comparing to exam where educated guesses are possible.

3) We support answers with our tutorials + videos (+ Microsoft links)... this feature is coming soon.

Unfortunately test is paid but affordable... cheaper than Measure up (30£ per 3 full tests with 150 questions) and you can buy "weak points" or min-test from 2£ per 10 questions.

I believe there is demand for this kind of tests (those avoiding brain dumps who just want some practice)

So far we just have 1 test with 10 questions but over the next 2-3 weeks we will have 3 full tests (150 questions)... here is the link 70-461 Exam Practice Test

Hope that helps

Take care

Emil

I have watched your final webinar which is kinda cool... i took the ten questions test from your website too.. Hope you would get us the full version of questions soon...Some of your links in the website are not working.. I wonder if you have to still upload information on those aspects... Look at the Modify data section... Some of your links need to be updated. Good Luck

--Pra:-):-)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi

I'm glad to hear you liked the Webinar and the Ranking test.

If your are part of our Email Newsletter you will get a voucher next week (Monday 1-2pm GMT/UTC +0) that will allow you to take the first tests we developed (10£ Voucher will be limited to the first several people who use it)

p.s. Thanks for pointing out the broken links.. I have added this to my routine tasks and will check entire website for broken links over the weekend... I fixed modify data for now.

Take care

Emil

• Thanks for the info.. I am now subscribed to your newsletters..I will wait for monday...

Can you please explain or answer the 1st question in your sample test create database objects... I couldn't figure it out.. I have been trying to solve it since yesterday

--Pra:-):-)--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi

We now have two 70-461 Practice Tests available for free* (use voucher code N70461 which is time limited).

I would appreciate your comments on how well do you think this test prepares for the exams and if there is anything that can be improved.

Take care

Emil

• Do check following site for the preparation of 70-461 exam.

Link: http://sqlwithmanoj.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/passed-70-461-exam-querying-microsoft-sql-server-2012/[/url]

• Study hard and this test is not terrible. I passed it on the second attempt.

I created a list of every topic that MS says can be on the test. I then used books and googling to find examples, and to do these things myself (very important).

I passed at 85%.

Good luck to me on 70-462 (which is not so nearly as natural to me as TSQL).

s

• I just took the 70-461 exam and passed.

Concerning the 2012 Certification book, yes, the practice questions there are easier than what's on the exam.

However, with respect to the 2008 Certification book, I thought the 2008 practice questions were harder than the exam questions.

Point here being is that it might not hurt to pick up the 2008 Certification book.

Myself - I have three years experience with SQL development. Like Microsoft, I wouldn't recommend this exam to someone with less than 12 months application experience. That would be cruel. Nevertheless, there's a lot to be learned from the certification books.

My best advice is to look over the book and ask yourself what areas do you have experience with and what areas you do not. For instance, my work experience has me working with XML techniques, cursor vs. while loop decisions, temp table vs. table variable, and Dynamic SQL experience. Not to mention, I like reading up on performance and tuning techniques.

No, I'm not a guru, but as mentioned before, these are the areas that I do a lot of work with.

However, my work experience has me falling short with Schemabinding methods, Instead-Of triggers for Views, and error handling. So yeah, these were chapters that I applied a little more focus towards.

A good study plan would be knocking out a chapter during the weekdays and one chapter on the weekend.

• When you say 2008 Certification book you mean the one for the Exam 70-433?

• Yes, 70-433 (2008 Database Development) - sorry about that. But yes, it made for an awesome companion book to 70-461.

And while its out of this forum's scope, if someone is new to SSIS, the first several chapters of 70-448 (SQL 2008 BI Exam) is worth looking at.

Not to mention, I've had people tell me that the 70-432 book (2008 Implementation and Maintenance) makes for an awesome companion to 70-462.

• Hi

I'm giving away for free 70-461 Full Practice Test. For Instruction how to get it visit our LinkedIn Group Discussion

Reason why we give it away is because Microsoft discourages people to provide the practice tests if the person took the exam... These questions are NOT actual exam question (we don't violate any terms & conditions) and we use them for training/interviews but questions are specifically adjusted to cover 'skills measured' for 70-461.

The test will be taken down from our website in several days time (better be safe than sorry ;)... and plans to cover all exams for MCSE: BI (which I have)... went to the bin 😀

I hope you will like it.

Take care

Emil

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply