70-461

• FridayNightGiant (1/7/2016)

It is OK to reveal your score if you want to or discuss the top 3 weakest areas from your score record.

You shouldn't discuss anything to do with the format of the exam, the types of the questions asked, the actual questions or answers etc.

Try installing SQL on your own PC/Laptop and playing with the things you aren't sure of. You can buy the developers version cheaply or install a 180 day trial.

Try the course below on the MVA if you haven't already

https://mva.microsoft.com/training-courses/querying-with-transact-sql

Thanks for the reply. Already installed SQL Server 2014 Developer on my laptop, and it's up and running. I got a 672 and needed 700 to pass -- is that close? Kind of hard to tell the way they do things. My three weakest areas are:

2.4 Implement aggregate queries.

2.5 Query and manage XML data

4.3 Evaluate the use of row-based operations vs. set-based operations.

Am I correct in assuming that if I can nail down these three areas tightly, and also keep the same level of scoring up on the retest that I will likely pass the retest, or is my score so low that is unlikely and I should simply start from scratch? I am doing this in my spare time (and who has any of that really?) so I am trying to be as efficient as possible and still pass the dang test. I will check out that course you linked as well. Thanks again in advance...

I should add that this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Training-70-461-Querying-Microsoft-Server/dp/0735666059

is the one I am using to prepare for the exam.

• GilaMonster (1/7/2016)

Siberian Khatru (1/7/2016)

- Was the test I took a fair representation of what I can expect on my free retest from a subject matter perspective?

Probably yes. You'll get a different set of questions from the (large) pool of questions for the exam.

-- Can I discuss general subject matter asked in the test without the specifics of the test itself?

I would suggest you don't.

-- Can I reveal my score (number relevant to 700, number of questions, etc.) itself to determine how close I was?

Score, yes. Number of questions, no. Besides, that'll change from one exam to another iirc

-- Lastly, can I reveal the areas with which I had trouble, based on my printout after the test so I can ascertain how best to prepare those areas?

Areas, yes. Any details on anything you were asked in those sections, no.

Thank you Gail...see my reply to FridayNightGiant above...

• Looking at the score, you probably missed it by one or two questions.

For aggregates, read up and practice group by, the aggregate functions (sum, count, min, max, etc), practice using grouping sets, cube and roll up. Make sure you're familiar with window functions too, I think they fall into the same category.

XML I hate with a passion, so no advice there (except that I can't write any XML-related query without using an example or the docs and I managed to pass 461)

I don't know what they mean by the 4.3 header.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Querying and managing XML data is a topic for which I don't get exposure to in my day to day job, and it's a bit of a struggle to switch gears mentally when presented with an XML query type question.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• GilaMonster (1/7/2016)

Looking at the score, you probably missed it by one or two questions.

For aggregates, read up and practice group by, the aggregate functions (sum, count, min, max, etc), practice using grouping sets, cube and roll up. Make sure you're familiar with window functions too, I think they fall into the same category.

XML I hate with a passion, so no advice there (except that I can't write any XML-related query without using an example or the docs and I managed to pass 461)

I don't know what they mean by the 4.3 header.

Regarding the 4.3 header, they went on to specify that "May include but not limited to: when to use cursors; impact of scalar UDFs; combine multiple DML operations."

Also, the XML I actually spent the day on yesterday with my study book and it's a LOT clearer now. Given what you said about how close I might have been, I think that knowing XML on Tuesday might well have made all the difference. In any event, thanks for the advice (and dissent as I too am less than impressed by XML) and guidance on the aggregate queries.

• I also hate XML.

There is also a course on the MVA for specifically XML and SQL server and I think the course I previously linked to covers it.

Make sure you have a reasonable understanding of the for xml clause and what the different nodes (auto raw) etc are for.

I'm assuming 4.3 will be something to do with avoiding cursors.

I agree with Gail though, you are very close, just swot up on what you are unsure about and give it another go.

• combine multiple DML operations

According to the exam "Skills measured" section, this means:

Combine datasets

•Difference between UNION and UNION all; case versus isnull versus coalesce; modify data by using MERGE statements

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/learning/exam-70-461.aspx

I've not taken this exam, but I would also practice the MINUS and INTERSECT set operators for this topic.

• Thanks one and all for the tips and advice...I plan to pass this thing in just under 30 days, or even sooner if I can. I need to get on to 70-462 and 463.

• FridayNightGiant (1/7/2016)

..., the types of the questions asked, the actual questions or answers etc.

The type of questions are publicly posted on the Microsoft website, so you can discuss those all you want.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Greetings, all. I am new here. I am preparing for the 70-461 exam, and my question is how to get hands-on work with a real database server when I do not have access to a workplace server. I rather doubt that 2012 Express has all the features needed, but can someone confirm or deny that? Is there a low-priced training license to the full product? Are there online lab environments reasonably priced? Thanks for any ideas.

• daveburch235 (12/2/2016)

Greetings, all. I am new here. I am preparing for the 70-461 exam, and my question is how to get hands-on work with a real database server when I do not have access to a workplace server. I rather doubt that 2012 Express has all the features needed, but can someone confirm or deny that? Is there a low-priced training license to the full product? Are there online lab environments reasonably priced? Thanks for any ideas.

SQL Server 2012 Express will have almost all the features to prepare for 70-461 exam.

But now you can also download the Developer Edition[/url] of SQL 2014 or 2016 for free for your DEV/TEST purpose, this includes full functional SQL DB engine and BI suite.

You can also download AdventureWorks sample database for your learning purpose.

• Thank you, Manoj! That's great news for myself and, I'm sure, many others.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 104 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply