4-4-5 Calendar Functions, Part 1

• Cliff:

I don't know if it was mentioned earlier, but many retail related businesses use a 4-5-4 calendar determined by the National Retail Federation (http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=pages&sp_id=391). Hence the division into 4-5-4 or 4-4-5 is not arbitrary. There are many anomalies that occur over the years and how they are handled is determined by this group. Hence the only easy way to handle it is by a look-up table for organizations using the NRF calendar.

Regards

• Gagne - I know this post is old but I came across it looking for a 4-4-5 fiscal calendar generator with exactly the criteria you have (Jan1-Dec31 fiscal year, periods end on Friday, etc.) but unfortunately we are still stuck with SQL 2000. Do you have a version of this code that works with SQL 2000?

Thanks,

Dennis

maddog

• Hi Maddog.

I no longer have access to a SQL 2000 server to test but what's not working in my scrupt ? I reviewed it quickly and I think everything should work besides the table variables but that can replaced wiith temp tables.

Can you run the code and show us what errors you get ?

• Thanks for responding, and so quickly!

The 'dense_rank()' and 'over(partition by' bits in the stored procedure are not functions in SQL 2000, and I don't have use of Analysis Services either unfortunately.

Thanks,

maddog

• Yes of course, I forgot they were not SQL 2000 functions. I'm gonna check on my machine tomorrow, maybe I still have the 2000 code for this.

• Computers have made most date calculations a breeze. I'm amazed that companies and organizations are still stuck with the idea of week-based calculations that require such nuances as ISO weeks, 4-4-5 and 4-5-4 calculations.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Sounds great, thanks 🙂

maddog

• Jeff Moden - Monday, September 28, 2009 8:05 PM

Heh... I see 3 recommendations to build a Calendar table and two that claim they've used one, yet no one has offered up any of their own code to show they have ever done so. 😉 Like the tag line from the movie goes... Show Me the Money! 😛

I wrote code to do 4-5-4 using modulo arithmetic a long time ago.  Just never posted it.  If you are really interested I could get it to you with the caveat you attribute it to me in the comments.

• dkangel - Saturday, November 3, 2018 8:44 PM

Jeff Moden - Monday, September 28, 2009 8:05 PM

Heh... I see 3 recommendations to build a Calendar table and two that claim they've used one, yet no one has offered up any of their own code to show they have ever done so. 😉 Like the tag line from the movie goes... Show Me the Money! 😛

I wrote code to do 4-5-4 using modulo arithmetic a long time ago.  Just never posted it.  If you are really interested I could get it to you with the caveat you attribute it to me in the comments.

Even on a 9 year old post, this type of thing is still very much alive in the corporate world so any good input is worth its salt.  What you may want to do is formalize it all a bit and submit an article on this site.  I'm also sure that, if you ask them,  folks would be happy to do a pre-release review for you.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply