Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

70-461

70-461

Author
n00bDBA
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Id like to take this exam and looking for some good prep.. My T-SQL skills are basic at present (main reason for taking the exam). Since the exam prep books arent out for another few months, Could anyone suggest some study materials?

I prefer learning by doing, so any training with examples and things you can try yourself would be great.

Any learning techniques that poeple have for learning coding would be great to (I normal draw out any concepts im trying to learn, doesnt really work with writing TSQL)

Thanks
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

My advise would be to lookup the skills measured, from the MS Learning website for the exam and then devel into them by going searches in a search engine of your choice.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-461#tab2

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

n00bDBA
n00bDBA
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (122 reputation)

Hi

thank you for the reply!

Keeps it simple! I had already writed out the objectives and starting to go though them pretty much as you had suggested (keeping links to BOL for each command)

Id still like a book or videos to watch as well if anyone has any suggestions.
anthony.green
anthony.green
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.1K reputation)

You will be lucky to get anything specific for the exam as they have only just been officially released.

Just do a search for T-SQL 101, should bring up the basics of T-SQL then can go deeper from there.

Want an answer fast? Try here
How to post data/code for the best help - Jeff Moden
When a question, really isn't a question - Jeff Smith
Need a string splitter, try this - Jeff Moden
How to post performance problems - Gail Shaw
CrossTabs-Part1 & Part2 - Jeff Moden
SQL Server Backup, Integrity Check, and Index and Statistics Maintenance - Ola Hallengren
Managing Transaction Logs - Gail Shaw
Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for the Accidental DBA - Jonathan Kehayias and Ted Krueger

n00bDBA
n00bDBA
SSC-Enthusiastic

Think ill make a few dummy projects to design databases to work from.

Thank you
ErikvanD
ErikvanD
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

cbtnuggets.com just has a video series out on 461 which could be a good starting point to get an overview. I am preparing for the exam myself and will sure have a look at these too.

jeff.mason
jeff.mason
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Honestly, in my opinion, use the tools to study for the T-SQL tests for 2008 for now. I have very little 2012 experience and passed the beta for this exam almost completely on my knowledge of 2008. There's not a lot of new T-SQL for 2012 (not compared to the administration changes), and you could at least get started knowing that for the most part what works in 2008 is going to work in 2012.
KatieAndEmil
KatieAndEmil
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Hi

I recently passed 70-461 (last Sunday) and I created a page that helped me to proper for the exam. see below link

70-461 study materials

Regards
Emil
Leslieo
Leslieo
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)SSC Rookie (36 reputation)

There are several books authored by Itzik Ben-Gan that are exceptionally good:
SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals
Inside SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Querying

One of his SQL Server 2012 books is available now:
SQL Server 2012 High-Performance T-SQL using window functions

learndevnow.com has SQL Server courses available; only one is regarding 2012 but the ones about SQL Server 2008 would be helpful. The cost is $99 for the year.

I suspect you would be able to match most or all of the exam objectives to the books above.

_subhan
_subhan
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi KatieAndEmil, thanks for your suggest. tommorow (monday) i want to try exam 70-461. Smile
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.