70-461

• You could also use the free Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Virtual Labs to prepare for the exam.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/learning-center/virtual-labs.aspx

• I've scheduled exam on 19 jul. Now i am seeing cbt nuggets for 70-461 - very very simple. I guess that 70-461 is simpler than 70-433.

Can anybody confirm it ?

PS. I have almost 10 year of experience with sql but i am concerned:-)

MS SQL 2008 MCITP x 3
    MS SQL 2012 MCSE x 2

• neprosto (7/10/2012)

I've scheduled exam on 19 jul. Now i am seeing cbt nuggets for 70-461 - very very simple. I guess that 70-461 is simpler than 70-433.

Can anybody confirm it ?

it looks you have already passed exams for 2008. So, the 2012's exams are also simple for you.;-)

• cppwiz (7/9/2012)

You could also use the free Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Virtual Labs to prepare for the exam.

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/learning-center/virtual-labs.aspx

Wow, thanks so much for this! Now I feel like I'm getting somewhere!

• neprosto (7/10/2012)

I've scheduled exam on 19 jul. Now i am seeing cbt nuggets for 70-461 - very very simple. I guess that 70-461 is simpler than 70-433.

Can anybody confirm it ?

I can answer your question itself, because i have just passed 70-461 😉

- Good news - exam focus on querying !

- Not much new features of sql 2012 was used

- xml queries was harder

- Simulation :w00t: ten last queries should be written by hand.

- One queries had level like MCITP\DBA. it is impossible to know for developer. Be ready to be caught.

In total exam left good impression, and more oriented to experienced developer than 70-433. Finally it is not hard as you may think.

Good luck!

MS SQL 2008 MCITP x 3
    MS SQL 2012 MCSE x 2

• Ed B (7/2/2012)

Is 461 easier than 433?

It is not better, it is up to date, that's all. I would say that 90% of it is the same but why would you train for the previous version? As much as you can, keep your knowledge current and train for the brand new version.

I studied for 433 but due to changes in my life (let's say I used to wear a ring, now it is gone) I could not find the time to finish learning and pass the exam. Now that I am on track for 461 I found out the knowledge I acquired is not lost (some of what you learn you actually do not use in real life, sad but true).

• nicver (9/6/2012)

Ed B (7/2/2012)

Is 461 easier than 433?

It is not better, it is up to date, that's all. I would say that 90% of it is the same but why would you train for the previous version? As much as you can, keep your knowledge current and train for the brand new version.

I studied for 433 but due to changes in my life (let's say I used to wear a ring, now it is gone) I could not find the time to finish learning and pass the exam. Now that I am on track for 461 I found out the knowledge I acquired is not lost (some of what you learn you actually do not use in real life, sad but true).

Thanks.

I passed 433 earlier this year and was wondering how much effort it would take to get 461. The thought of reading up on xml again is not appealing.

I wondered if 461 is easier because it seems to have a narrower scope.

• I always keep a list of notes for these exams. I am a bit 'Homer' and forget a lot of old unused stuff (partiucularly XML). If you kept notes for 433 then according to the subjects listed for 461 you should have a good start.

Always worth doing as you can use the same notes again for 2015! Will be sitting 461 again this Thursday as I narrowly missed out last week. Did not prepare enough before hand! Then hopefully its 463 for me and hope to catch 462 when I am ready.

Ells

• You can also do quick 70-461 review and 70-462 review this one has actually more notes for review that I used myself! Unfortunatelly I missed 2 questions and failed my first attempt for my weak point (DBA skills) but I hope to add more content and pass it next time 😉

Hope that helps

Emil

• Hi,

Thanks KatieAndEmil, i passed 70-461 two weeks ago and your review had helped me a lot, by the way it was my first Microsoft certification exam, and i have to say that it's was a little bit tough.

Cheers.

• I just passed 70-461.

Since this test is about 3 months old, there is no book (or brain dump info, which means there is no question now that you have learned the material), so I studied old school. I looked up what they said was on the test, and made myself a book from copying all the useful stuff from the web, mainly Microsoft site and books online. I read this "book" on my Kindle whenever I had some time (lunch, the gym etc). I also made up my own test with some really cool software called Visual CertExam from Avanset. The test software is really like the cert exam and I used it to test myself. That was $29 bucks well spent.

I'm taking the next test in the series so I can get my MCSA, 70-462 which should be a lot easier since the MS prep book is out (Yea!). I am going for MCSE Business Intelligence, and I noticed that there are no books in the works or listed anywhere for 70-466 and 70-467, so I imagine that I am going to have to create my own book for those too. Does anyone know if there will be any books for 70-466 and 70-467 ?

• I thought the syntax checker was a bit suspect. Yes rew up spurious spelling issue.

I gave in trying to use it and went with what I thought was right.

• gphemail (9/23/2012)

Here's the first example, which is the most obviously wrong....

Please note that as per the NDA that you accepted when writing the exam, you may not distribute or reproduce any portion of the exam, no matter how small. I would recommend that you remove the examples as they could be considered a breech of that NDA and such a breech, if noticed by MS Exam Fraud, could result in your certifications being revoked.

Since this test is about 3 months old, there is no book or brain dump info on it

And long may there be no brain dumps as those are out and out cheating.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you Katie!!

• When I last looked at Amazon there were no books for 466 / 467. Bearing in mind that for the 461/462 exams at least Amazon was showing them as pending.

Sitting down for 466 on Friday. Fingers crossed - just used the microsoft site and the subjects on their list. Its all you can do at the moment.

Ells

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 104 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply