SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Extract multiple files from multiple directories with a data flow task

Extract multiple files from multiple directories with a data flow task

Author
Stan Kulp-439977
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Extract multiple files from multiple directories with a data flow task
wlblee38
wlblee38
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Good job, very well written and demonstrated. Awesome!

Do you have something for connecting to a remote sever and downloading files? I think that's the next thing you should add to this.

Thanks again, Super!
Stan Kulp-439977
Stan Kulp-439977
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

That's what this job actually does. I just used local directories for demonstration purposes.

You would simply change the directory path from c:\folder\ to \\server\folder\, if I understand your question correctly.
deepak.a
deepak.a
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)Right there with Babe (772 reputation)

Thanks For this article excellent explanation Smile
e.t.anicet
e.t.anicet
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Hi,

You have done a very good demonstration.
I did try what you have done in my visual studio 2005 but it doesn't work. It seems like the vb script code doesn't work well.
After I have configurated your package (MultipleFileExtraction2005.dtsx) in my 2005 environment, when I run it just the "Get list of data files" (Script task) and the "Loop through list of data files" (ForEach Loop task) what are became green and the other tasks not
Attachments
package.jpg (15 views, 70.00 KB)
Stan Kulp-439977
Stan Kulp-439977
Ten Centuries

Sounds to me like it is not finding the data files. Make sure you have the paths set correctly, and files actually in the folders.
e.t.anicet
e.t.anicet
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)SSC Rookie (31 reputation)

Yes you right, my data files were not into the correct location.
Thanks ;-)
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)SSC Guru (87K reputation)

1. What kind of privs does the SSIS job need to be able to run the VB.Net scripts for this job?
2. What kind of privs does someone need to run this job?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Misha_SQL
Misha_SQL
Ten Centuries

Great package and article. Thank you! I am saving this one ;-)

Stan Kulp-439977
Stan Kulp-439977
Ten Centuries

It is the connection manager used by the SQL statement in the script task that determines whether the SQL statement can be executed.

If your connection manager is using authentication that would allow you to execute the SQL Statement in SQL Server Management Studio, it will allow you to execute that same statement from an SSIS script task.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.