SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Phrases that Resonate

Phrases that Resonate

Author
Andy Warren
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

Group: Moderators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Phrases that Resonate

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)SSC Guru (216K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Got a phrase that you use to share a difficult concept?

As a matter of fact, I do... RBAR ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
paul s-306273
paul s-306273
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

How about 'dead in the water'.
Knut Boehnert
Knut Boehnert
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

"Dead as a flat badger." Followed by the analogy:
"Sure you can drive with a push bike the 100 miles. But if you want to arrive there quick, you better take the car."

Whenever I have to talk with management about why our server resources are inadequate.
Schodoodles
Schodoodles
Valued Member
Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)

I always liked 'Picnic'. Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.
I have a lot of this where I work sadly. :-D
Knut Boehnert
Knut Boehnert
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

I know this as "Pebkac" - Problem exists between keyboard and chair.
majorbloodnock
majorbloodnock
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Knut Boehnert (6/16/2011)
I know this as "Pebkac" - Problem exists between keyboard and chair.

...also known as the eye-dee-ten-tee problem (ID10T) or the "layer 8 issue" (the logical extension to the 7 layer OSI model being the user).

In IT terms, one can talk of an app "automagically" populating something rather than trying to explain the algorithm behind the real time lookup and insertion. However, many's the time when a techie will try to explain something to a non-techie, but will use so much jargon that the explanation is worse than the original concept. In that case, the techie could be accused of "simplicating".

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat
S Hodkinson
S Hodkinson
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

This turkey will not fly

Madame Artois
Your Name Here
Your Name Here
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)SSC-Addicted (475 reputation)

One of my co-workers was a Chinese national and sometimes his command of the English language - coupled with his brevity - led to some "inside jokes" for the DBA group that are still used, years after their first introduction to a conversation (in this case, about troubleshooting). One of these lasting quotes was simply...

"Database fine."

Luckily, he was a good sport and knew we weren't poking fun at him when we repeated it as the occasion required shorthand for "stop blaming the database for bad code" and fit nicely on one occasion when we discovered the cause of "performance problems" blamed on the database to be a [huge, very complicated] query that started with "SELECT DISTINCT *" ...
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)One Orange Chip (29K reputation)

Never use phrases like "I think it's time the rich client got a new facelift" or "we need to dump our fat client for a thin client model" in front of an actual client who isn't tech savvy. :-)

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.