Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,841 through 9,855 (of 39,936 total)

  • RE: Your Cloud Held Hostage – Could It Happen?

    Netflix started with relatively little bandwidth from their end. They can compete, or Steve's Video Service can compete, because few people use it. A 5Mbps home connection works. As the...

  • RE: Stopping a job Step (backup) if drive has less disk space.

    Not in the middle. I've done it at the beginning to avoid exports if disk space was low.

    Use a PoSh script to check disk space, then fail the step if...

  • RE: Grab OrderID

    Does the pattern [ADR*XYZ*] always hold?

    If so, when you put this in a table, you can always use PATINDEX/CHARINDEX to find the beginning and offset to the beginning of your...

  • RE: Your Cloud Held Hostage – Could It Happen?

    I'm for neutrality in terms of not prioritizing traffic based on source. However, I don't think that this means Google or Netflix can't pay for higher connection speeds to send...

  • RE: Can Auditing Fail?

    Jeff Moden (5/11/2015)


    In that case, I recommend major CYA efforts on the part of the DBAs because that's where the blame will end up if audits fail, audit data is...

  • RE: Opening Up Data

    I think for the DBAs/developers, who perform the ETL stuff, we do need to think about knowing JSON, XQuery, and more to help us transform data into formats that we...

  • RE: Opening Up Data

    podmate (5/12/2015)


    SSIS/SSDT needs a lot of improvement before I can recommend its use.

    Agree with the first half. There is work to be done. However, for many, many people, I think...

  • RE: vNext 2016

    Sean Redmond (5/12/2015)


    At all of the presentations that I have been to, it has been presented to the world as a finished product. There is also an element that...

  • RE: vNext 2016

    Sean Redmond (5/11/2015)


    Hi Steve,

    How often do we get a version that can promise a 10x improvement to a system? I see In-Memory-OLTP as the biggest change, or, at least,...

  • RE: The Service Pack Fiasco

    Ed Wagner (5/11/2015)


    They're also releasing SPs more frequently. The rapid-fire release strategy comes with a serious cost - customer confidence. If I have to be genuinely fearful every...

  • RE: The Service Pack Fiasco

    steve_seeley (5/11/2015)


    Does it really take a month to fix a script?

    It's not the fix, it's additional testing. Hopefully, also nothing else added.

    A month, however does seem long. I'd have liked...

  • RE: How Virtualized?

    PhilipC (5/8/2015)


    They don't believe in it, and more or less don't even want to discuss it anymore. In the past they've said virtual simply won't stand up to a physical...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    Jeff Moden (5/8/2015)


    To be honest, I actually blame Microsoft a bit here. It used to be that "Books Online" would install with the product. Now, it's a separate...

  • RE: Combine the functionality of IN and LIKE in a WHERE clause

    Kevin is right, you cannot combine the in and like items as you've done it.

    Full text might help, but you'll still be building a string with multiple and statements for...

  • RE: IMPERSONATE ANY LOGIN permission

    Take it

Viewing 15 posts - 9,841 through 9,855 (of 39,936 total)