Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,481 through 9,495 (of 39,936 total)

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    Query query, sql sql, should we debate tomatoes and potatoes as well?

  • RE: Gauges and Alarms

    I don't. We've tried a few at RG, but none of them has stood out for me. Plus many of them aren't SQL Server based (or .NET), so there's the...

  • RE: Restricting Sysadmins from adding new sysadmins

    I think the design of many of these auditing products is to log and detect issues, not prevent them. Nor should they be under the control of the privileged users...

  • RE: Deploy from VCS

    Charps (8/10/2015)


    It is true that we can't adequately redeploy everything from source control when we are talking about production deploys. We have think about data loss and how we handle...

  • RE: Deploy from VCS

    I'm not sure it's hubris, but more a question of having a view of your code that you can count on for future work. Certainly some of us work in...

  • RE: Gauges and Alarms

    robert.sterbal 56890 (8/10/2015)


    I'm not sure why the sharing of these tools isn't mentioned in every article about them.

    Glen Berry's are a good example of what would be great on a...

  • RE: Replication Scenario

    Jayanth_Kurup (8/10/2015)


    SQL express cant be used as a publisher in replication

    I don't believe this was the intention. It seems as though SQL Standard is the publisher, moving to a variety...

  • RE: Restricting Sysadmins from adding new sysadmins

    I'd still suggest they add each of your DBAs, use a group for access, and disable all accounts. Then when an issue arises, they can activate only the account needed.

  • RE: Teambuilding

    Brian J. Parker (8/7/2015)


    I'm really curious to follow this for ideas. My company takes team building seriously and I recognize its importance... but I'm also a serious introvert and generally...

  • RE: Replication Scenario

    I'm not 100% sure what will happen if you change the replicated values. I'd think you're OK, but I'd have to test some things, and you should as well.

    I...

  • RE: Restoring a db with full text catalog/index from sql 2008 to sql 2014

    1. Always worry. You should be fine, but if you aren't looking, you'll have issues. Try checking this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms142490.aspx

    2. I think you should be OK, but I'd prep clients that...

  • RE: too many indexes - question

    Grant is right on the main issue. Secondary ones are more disk space, potentially lots more. Some systems have more index data than real data.

    Also, slows down backup/restore with more...

  • RE: Restricting Sysadmins from adding new sysadmins

    Never share IDs, including service accounts. That's my philosophy. I don't even like SA available.

    Always use groups. If one person needs access, someone else will.

    As for preventing new additions, you...

  • RE: Fragmented Indexes

    delizat (8/7/2015)


    Every situation is different, but this is the order of my backup jobs:

    1. Reorganize/Rebuild index

    2. Check integrity

    3. Update Statistics

    4. Backup database.

    I don't like this as if the rebuild and...

  • RE: Fragmented Indexes

    SQLRNNR (8/7/2015)


    My recommendations would be to use either of these two products because they work better.

    http://bit.ly/MinionIdx

    or

    http://sqlfool.com/2011/06/index-defrag-script-v4-1/

    +1 here for me. I like the SQLFool script, but hear good things about MInion

Viewing 15 posts - 9,481 through 9,495 (of 39,936 total)