Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,256 through 9,270 (of 39,936 total)

  • RE: Are you a Data Scientist?

    I do usually tell people in Scouts or kids sports that I'm a computer guy. If they know something and want to ask more, I will talk about databases.

  • RE: Cannot find server name

    I'm not clear what you are seeing here.

    You can connect with SSMS. What are the credentials?

    In Data Tools, do you mean SQL Server Data Tools? SSDT? Can you enter the...

  • RE: Could use some advice

    Apart from what has been suggested, I try to solve things like this for one area. Write down the plan for one dimension or entity and solve each one. Then...

  • RE: Installing sql 2012 named instance on production server

    Watch target memory for each server, and try to balance the load. It's up to you to somehow set this between instances.

  • RE: Cannot find server name

    Can you connect with localhost or .?

  • RE: Are you a Data Scientist?

    ccd3000 (9/29/2015)


    Well, I.T. hijacked and cheapened the 'Engineer' moniker a long time ago so why not 'Scientist'?

    Indeed we have.

    That's why I've typically called myself the data janitor.

  • RE: excessive spids in msdb

    You need something like this:

    SELECT

    'SQLAgent - TSQL JobStep (Job 0x'+

    CONVERT(char(32),CAST(j.job_id AS binary(16)),2) +

    ' : Step ' +

    CAST(js.step_id AS VARCHAR(3)) +

    ')', j.job_id, j.name

    FROM msdb.dbo.sysjobs...

  • RE: Test vs. Prod environment - Release methodology... I have a rogue developer I need to stop.

    Until you have an issue, you can't argue anything. If the dev does things and they work, then ignore it. Track things.

    There isn't anything that I've seen other than blogs...

  • RE: Are you a Data Scientist?

    Eric M Russell (9/29/2015)


    To be a true Data Scientist, you probably need a solid academic background in data analysis as well as deep knowledge of whatever domain you're working in....

  • RE: Renaming

    I thought there was an alias or something in there. Alias' are great. I prefer a FWDN, with a port number after.

    mynamedsql.mycorp.com,5555

    I'm surprised this is so hard to change. It...

  • RE: Renaming

    "keep" was meaning the end result. There is one instance on the host at the end, not two or more.

  • RE: Renaming

    Perhaps some of this works in 2008? Anyone verify this? I've tested in 2012/2014 and it does not work.

  • RE: How to hide stored procedures from user?

    SQLCLR doesn't hide the procedure from someone, though it does make the code hard to get to.

    However, what is the purpose here? At some point, much of your data manipulation...

  • RE: Data Sprawl

    For why many developers are looking to NoSQL, look no further than JSON. So many of the new tools and languages have built some support for JSON storage, and the...

  • RE: No Time for Testing

    ken.trock (9/28/2015)


    However I do believe we need to test our code. We all do test our code, even if it's with a few before/after queries. What I don't get is...

Viewing 15 posts - 9,256 through 9,270 (of 39,936 total)