Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 9,061 through 9,075 (of 39,928 total)

  • RE: Read articles without requiring login

    Yes and no. We've almost always required a login, which helps us support the site, and I've been hearing this complaint for 15 years.

    We are looking at some work to...

  • RE: Fantasy Football 2015

    Last tie breaker is who beat Steve the most

  • RE: writing queries that easily readable

    My vote is you write this:

    with mycte (col)

    as

    (select ...

    );

    If you get a syntax error because:

    select mycol from mytable

    with mycte (col)

    as

    (select ...

    );

    then you do this:

    select mycol from mytable;

    with mycte (col)

    as

    (select ...

    );

    I...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    GilaMonster (12/2/2015)


    jasona.work (12/2/2015)


    //me doesn't always terminate statements with a semi-colon

    ///semi-colon;

    Neither do I, though I fix that any time I notice the mistake. I don't however start statements with terminators.

    ditto.

    I CTRL+B,...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    Rod at work (12/2/2015)


    Oh Steve, man have you said a lot here that I'd like to respond to. But I think prudence forebears me from saying everything I'd like to....

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    JustMarie (12/2/2015)


    There's far too many companies that want a senior level person with a lot of experience only to make an offer that is more in line with a junior...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    lnardozi 61862 (12/2/2015)


    Here is the problem in a nutshell - salary opacity and salary equality.

    Demigod of SQL = x$

    Seat Filler = x$

    Unfortunately, just as much money is allocated by management...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    Sean Redmond (12/2/2015)


    The qualities that I look for in interviewees are willingness to learn, ease with logical thought and thoroughness. Being able to the job quickly is good, too, but,...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    Dalkeith (12/2/2015)


    The older I get the more I realise the shear inefficiency of people's ability to communicate both what they want and what they can provide.

    Certificates have in the past...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    ian.lee 73912 (12/2/2015)


    Negative thinking senior manager: "What if we invest in training and developing our people and they leave us?"

    Positive thinking senior manager: "What if we don't and they stay?"

    This...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    Gary Varga (12/2/2015)


    It's tricky.

    Companies do not like paying vastly different salaries/rates yet need different valued people. All of whom need both time to keep any necessary skills up to date...

  • RE: Rethinking Hiring

    Alan.B (12/1/2015)


    I think there are three problems:

    1. The genuine need for talented data pros is growing much faster than the supply of talented data pros.

    2. Many (perhaps most)...

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    I think the year hasn't gone super fast. As I look back at what happened. It seems ages since I was in South Dakota this summer on vacation and for...

  • RE: Caching database

    Even cache databases have issues here at scale. If you can somehow shard/federate your data, then perhaps you can use multiple systems to do this, but it's not a simple...

  • RE: The Auditor Attack Vector

    With regards to compensation, when I managed 10 DBAs, 9 of them made more than me.

Viewing 15 posts - 9,061 through 9,075 (of 39,928 total)