Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 19,861 through 19,875 (of 39,936 total)

  • RE: sp_rename error

    Everything is in a schema. Likely it was in the dbo schema, so change it back to that one.

  • RE: Alert message when production server instance is down

    If you are just looking for the instance, and not the server, you can have the service send a message when it's down. Otherwise you need another server running software,...

  • RE: SQL Server Security

    The explanation above is essentially correct. You can have users without logins as orphans after a restore, but essentially the login gets you access to the server, the user to...

  • RE: Precious Ideas

    bkubicek (5/17/2010)


    Steve, a EULA is not going to keep your common DBA from opening up a stored proc and messing with it. If there are having problems most likely...

  • RE: Precious Ideas

    Fair enough, perhaps you can do something worth protecting in SQL Server. I'm not sold, but I'll stipulate I could be wrong.

    In terms of a fence, perhaps there is some...

  • RE: Precious Ideas

    If that's what I'm implying, I don't mean to. I mean that it's not that secret. What you can do with SQL is fairly limited and there aren't necessarily a...

  • RE: SQL Server 2000 Datbase Crash

    Red Gate has Log Rescue for free if you want to try it http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql_log_rescue/index.htm

  • RE: Precious Ideas

    My argument is encryption of stored procedures isn't worth doing. It's a PIA and doesn't provide protection. It can be broken.

    I see two arguments back.

    - Customers mess with stored...

  • RE: Today's Random Word!

    Protagonist.

    My 11 yr old went to see Iron Man last night with my wife and this morning I asked him if Iron Man won. He said

    "Iron Man always wins....

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    CirquedeSQLeil (5/14/2010)


    Nice set of rules / guidelines[/url] for Authors.

    Thanks, been trying to get those down. After editing 5 articles last week that can't figure out how to use a "the"...

  • RE: Five Things to Trim From SQL Server

    Not remove shrink. Remove auto-shrink.

    If something expands to fill the disk, autoshrink won't prevent that. you will still need to, and can shrink the dbs.

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    We did that at one point here. Someone had sent us a plagiarized articles and we published them. It wasn't until about 6 months later that the person was caught....

  • RE: Are the posted questions getting worse?

    jcrawf02 (5/17/2010)


    Um, Steve, not sure what's going on here, but the Database Weekly newsletter shows a link to this article: Are you Making This Common RAM Mistake?, which seems to...

  • RE: Precious Ideas

    I have worked with encryption and the arguments you give just don't make sense.

    If the software is unencrypted, you can easily run a hash against the code to see if...

  • RE: sqldev.org?

    It is there now. I was getting a DNS error the other day. It is almost like a combination of a quiz site and a forum.

Viewing 15 posts - 19,861 through 19,875 (of 39,936 total)